Prepping our kitchens for Holidays 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta - What do you use to thicken your pie fillings? How much headspace do you use? I canned a few batches a while back and use Clear Jel (special thickener that stands up to the heat of canning) You ended up with a thick canned pie filling like you buy from the store - ready to use right out of the jar - BUT the headspace called for was too little - I had major siphoning - jars still sealed though. :) If I did again I would leave at least 1.5" to 2" headspace - which seems crazy!

I use clear jel too (not the instant clear jel) . I leave about 1 inch of head space. A little trick to avoid the major siphoning from the lids, turn off the water a few minutes earlier and leave the jars in the water for about 20 minutes or so before taking them out. This helps to stabilize the pressure inside the jars which reduces the leakage.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I though I'd add what I've done for making applesauce. I have made applesauce in the crock pot. I usually mix up the types of apples based on what we have in the house. I put the crock pot on low, add some quartered apples and let it go for about 4 hours or so. I use a potato masher to break down the apples. Because it smells so good, the applesauce is usually gone at the next meal.

I've also done apples mixed with pears in the microwave for a quick side dish at dinner. I cut the pieces smaller, cover the dish and microwave high for 3 minutes. Then I use the potato masher and cook it for another 2 minutes and mash again. Usually, by that point, it is at a consistency we like.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Grocery store had cartons of assorted broths on sale this week so we stocked up on Beef, chicken and vegetable broths for soups and other dishes this winter. Once it gets colder I want to make soups to fill the freezer.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Minta I'm waiting for canned soups to go back on sale too. I make alot of homemade soups, so I'll need to stock up on broths as well, but my brother tends to eat canned soup when he's alone or not feeling well. He got sick last week, cleared out my winter supply , so I had to go buy more at full price and that kills me a bit.

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta I'm waiting for canned soups to go back on sale too. I make alot of homemade soups, so I'll need to stock up on broths as well, but my brother tends to eat canned soup when he's alone or not feeling well. He got sick last week, cleared out my winter supply , so I had to go buy more at full price and that kills me a bit.

Me too, I like to keep some can soup in my desk at work for lunches and at home for when the kids don't feel good or want grill cheese and soup.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Started stocking up for my holiday baking. Picked up a big container of cocoa powder and a big 72 oz bag of chocolate chips from BJS. Local grocery store has skippy natural peanut butter on sale 2 for $3 limit 2 plus I have various coupons so I have been stopping in once to twice a day to stock up. My kids go through a lot of peanut butter plus I set aside a few jars for my holiday cookies.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am doing groceries today and am stocking up on baking paper and alfoil. I need a few more storage containers too.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My kids go through a lot of peanut butter plus I set aside a few jars for my holiday cookies.

If you have an Aldi grocery store that you pass by in your travels, you may want to stop in and check out their prices on peanut butter. I don't know if all Aldi stores have the same prices but currently Aldi sells the large jars for about a $1 less than the local store brand.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We have an Aldi's and do a lot of shopping there. Their produce doesn't seem very good here. I really think the delivery guy drops off another store's rejects.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
If you have an Aldi grocery store that you pass by in your travels, you may want to stop in and check out their prices on peanut butter. I don't know if all Aldi stores have the same prices but currently Aldi sells the large jars for about a $1 less than the local store brand.
Thanks .. my kids are picky about their peanut butter. Between the store sale and coupons I got 14 jars anywhere from 75 cents to a $1 jar.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Their produce doesn't seem very good here. I really think the delivery guy drops off another store's rejects.
We find that Aldi's fruit and veg is not ideal. I do not care for how it is packaged. I would rather go to the green grocer or our other big supermarket where I can pick what I want.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Costco run last night, picked up some parchment paper and pecans. Gotta have pecans. They always come first.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
tidied the pantry and stockpile yesterday. Have quite the list of what needs to be purchased over the next few weeks. All the staples, flour, sugar, coconut etc.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Finally got all my apples we picked processed. Ended up with 8 jars of apple pie filling canned, 13 jars of apples sauce canned and 12 jars of apple butter canned. 8 jars of the apple butter will be used as gifts and the rest for my DH.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie,it is getting to the stage where most of the dates will be OK. I am often surprised by dates, cheese is use by February, soft drink runs out in November:rolleyes:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
LOL about the expiration date.

I picked up some flour, brown sugar and granulated sugar this week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of the big Supermarkets had a savory biscuit (cracker) on sale so I got 6 boxes to put away for the kids stockings.
Picked up both types of flour this week as well as sugar. Need evaporated milk and tinned pineapple still.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Picked up six 2 packs of foil 9x11 pans for my cinnamon rolls this year! :)

Got some canned goods off of my non-perishable holiday grocery list too - picked up a big bag of chocolate chips and a big cannister of cocoa powder from Sam's on my last trip - will need another bag of chips though.

Will review my shopping list this week in time to pick up more items during weekly groc trips - now through the big day I'll be doing the same! Very exciting!