September 2019 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
After talking to my cousins I pitched all but 4 pair. I looked pretty silly sitting on the floor crying over old shoes lol.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I cried over pitching out cardboard tracers that I made for use in preschool. The pain is real at the time. I think "things" connect us to a memory of a person or event.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Doing more kitchen cabinets so got 3 cups out of there, 1 pot (brand new), 1 condiment set (received at a Christmas exchange and will not use it).
I'm putting everything in ds's room so when they come over they can see what they want and the rest is going to the thrift shop.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MM, I feel for you. I am very sentimental when it comes to my parents or my kids. Well done on making some tough decisions.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Have the kids bathroom done! I cleaned all the bath toys in a mild bleach water, also cleaned the wastecan, plunger and brush. Combined 4 or 5 soaps into my pumpkin container and threw out several empty containers, also empty containers that were in bath toys. Washed shelves down and refolded towels. Found some washrags that had gotten to the back.

Another bag of trash to go out. From dining room and bathroom together.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since I need to go to ds's house to pick up the dog this afternoon, I will not go empty-handed. took all sweaters that are still in his closet, 2 halloween pj's that he has, 1 bag of baseball balls, 1 baseball bat and a box of hockey pucks :)
4 Mondays of picking up the dog (they have prenatal classes)... I will be dropping off stuff everytime :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Since I need to go to ds's house to pick up the dog this afternoon, I will not go empty-handed. took all sweaters that are still in his closet, 2 halloween pj's that he has, 1 bag of baseball balls, 1 baseball bat and a box of hockey pucks :)
4 Mondays of picking up the dog (they have prenatal classes)... I will be dropping off stuff everytime :)
A girl after my own heart. My house is not your storage shed.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Tossed a lot of paper but kept the binders since I know that I will recycle them.

Hoping to do more this week.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Or a heeling cry...;)
Lol!! I about spit out my coffee when I read this. So funny, thank you I needed that. Thank you everyone for your support.
I have moved on to the dreaded guest room closet. I have been pitching photos and organizing. There are so many duplicates, blurry photos and people I don’t know so in the trash they go. I found the box with moms photos, any duplicates I set aside for Memorial Day so the cousins can go through ( I only need one copy of aunt grace milking a cow in her wedding gown lol). And hopefully the people I don’t know someone else will. Not near as painful as those shoes lol.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
( I only need one copy of aunt grace milking a cow in her wedding gown lol).
OMG I can just imagine. What an amazing photo that must be. Good job on the decluttering. I really need to do photos and it was on my to do list for Winter. Might have to add it to the to do list for Summer.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Made it to the thrift store. Went inside after I dropped my boxes looking for an angel for my Nativity set. I broke the original one.

Reactions: Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
More photos, more trash!! But I got it done. I have a pile of stuff for various cousins, my son and a friend. Husband has promised to hang pictures for me. Not so sure how that will go. It’s all family stuff and my photography but he’s picky, everything has to go together. What he doesn’t hang will get unframed and put in the boxes, I’m tired of moving that stuff around.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I printer, 1 Fall coat and 1 pair of Fall pants are off to ds's this afternoon when I pick up the dog :)

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I spent yesterday afternoon going through all the clothes mom had saved, ..........My mom had saved a bunch of my shoes,( baby and toddler). I’m 62 you would think I would be able to pitch that stuff but I had a crisis, I think from going through all of moms stuff ( party dresses and gowns from the 40’s). After talking to my cousins I pitched all but 4 pair. I looked pretty silly sitting on the floor crying over old shoes lol.

Myron's Mom - I'm spent a chunk of my summer doing just this. Cleaning out my parents house. Soooo hard! My mom had these old dresses, hats and such she saved from the 40s also. I was able to justify keeping some of them because we have a dress-up box which will go to future grandchildren. But the rest of it I had to let go. Killed me. Especially all the embroidery that had those stains from years gone by....I had tears too. But there were other items we kept and of course lots of photos... There are 4 sets of china in that house and the next generation doesn't want it. What to do?

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
I feel for those going thru their parent's things...I've been doing the same thing this summer. It's hard to toss/donate things, but I try to tell myself someone else could be using these things, instead of them sitting in a box. I try to pass things on to sibs if I find something that has meaning to them, but they all have full houses themselves. And the next generation isn't much interested in Grandma's things. I'm the youngest, and since Mom lived with me at the end, it's my job to sort thru everything that was stored. What a job. I too have found things that made me cry. It's part of the process I guess.