Crafters Challenge October 6th-12, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
This week I am hoping to sew the following:

13 scarfs

At least finish 13 snowmen but hope to do several more

Need to make about 5 burp rags and 5 wash cloths------- All done on 10-6

2 little bags filled with catnip-------Done 10-6

2 checkbook covers

Thanksgiving potholders 2 or 3

Shall see because I need to clean too!

What are your plans for crafting this week?

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm going to Open Sew on Tuesday so will probably take some fabric for a chenille wall hanging which will be a housewarming gift for a friend.

I also hope to get a start on a tissue box cover BD/Christmas gift for a friend. I want to do machine embroidery on the sides, and I still need to pick out the fabric I want to use. I hope I have some in my resources.

Additionally, I would sure like to do some machine embroidery embellishment on a new sweatshirt so I have it to take on our camping trip (leaving Friday night).

I'll keep knitting on the socks (about 7" to go) and working on some CCS in the evenings.

That should keep me out of trouble!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Haven't been around in awhile but been getting things done somewhat. I am really hoping to get most of this list done today. Back to work tomorrow.

Mom's Fall sign. It's painted and words already cut out so just need to put them on
Scarecrow pot's already painted faces cut out just need to put on and decorate
Fall place mats just need to figure out what I want to put on them cut and put on
Fall charger again just need to figure out what I want to put on cut and put on
Snowman pot's need to cut faces finish painting and put faces on
Christmas candle holders

I know there is more but can't think right now. My phone has been going insane all morning and driving me insane too

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This week is just work on finishing the Marshall quilt. Today I got the backing and the binding fabric ironed. Tomorrow I’d like to get the backing pieced together and get the quilt sandwiched. I found a quilting pattern but I know I need to do some practice runs with it. And I still need to make a label and make the binding.
Today I’ve finished up stitching out the a few samples from the IQ designer class. The one sample took 80 minutes. I had a great time in class. Learned more about my machine. And I didn’t buy any fabric!!! My husband is in total shock over that. I didn’t even look at fabric. The drive back and forth wasn’t too bad. I listened to Christmas music lol.
Have a productive week everyone.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
MM, good job on not buying! LOL! How do you do your labels?

Kim, nice list!

DD, your list is always impressive too. Only know of one shop that has classes at times and it is normally during the day and about an hour away.

Reactions: Myron's Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Found some more felt while I was tidying the other day. Am hoping to start red, green and white felt stars at some stage.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
This evening I did the 5 burp rags and 5 wash cloths and I also made 2 little bags filled with catnip.

13 scarfs

At least finish 13 snowmen but hope to do several more

Need to make about 5 burp rags and 5 wash cloths-------All done 10-6

2 little bags filled with catnip-------Done 10-6

2 checkbook covers

Thanksgiving potholders 2 or 3

Last edited:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I finished the patterned part of DD6's little ballet top. Just need to do five inches in ribbing. No real instructions on how the thing goes together at the end, so hopefully I can figure it out. It has no sleeves.

DD8 said to me that if anyone was wanting to make her anything for Christmas this year, she'd be very happy to get some legwarmers. Pretty sure that was a dropped hint, so time to find a pattern that fits her tastes.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
FS - that is too funny about the hint :)

Got both pairs of socks where I want them (the easy-peasy parts), so they will be put away for awhile. Now I have a few baby things to crochet. I was waiting for orange yarn and it has arrived. Finally got my tunisian crochets yesterday!... had just wrote to seller on Friday, will have to write back.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hello all! I am feeling very behind on my crafting efforts - have not been able to focus on Christmas crafts since before our vacation.

This week my focus is DS Halloween costume and finishing the Halloween treat bags for his class!

I did order a printable Christmas Science Kit that I will use for class "treat" in December. You add simple things, coffee filters, tinsel, candy canes, etc. and they have an instruction booklet that walks them through the various experiments. I have a big box of colored printer paper I scored at a garage sale that I'll use some of for the booklets :)

SO much to do! I am going to get out a craft kit tonight and put it back with my work things - will try to get back in the habit of working on it during work lunches and while DS is at karate class.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I did order a printable Christmas Science Kit that I will use for class "treat" in December. You add simple things, coffee filters, tinsel, candy canes, etc. and they have an instruction booklet that walks them through the various experiments. I have a big box of colored printer paper I scored at a garage sale that I'll use some of for the booklets :)

Where did you find that? That sounds like something DD8 would love.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
FS, when I read that I thought of your girls. It sounds like something they would like.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lana, usually I just make them up on my embroidery machine. Embroidery library has some nice “frames” and you can just fill in what ever you want to say. What I like the best is creating a simple free hand drawing of the theme of the quilt or something that means something to the recipient and write what I want the tag to say. I then scan it and send off to Fabric on Demand to have it printed on fabric. I then use it as part of a quilt block. I never think of putting a tag on my quilts for some reason. It’s always a after thought for me.
AJ, the science kit sounds like something my son would have enjoyed.
I managed to get a lot done today. I pieced my quilt back, sandwich the quilt with the help of 2 cats and made my binding. And worked on the laundry! Tomorrow I’ll start playing with quilting patterns.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ Yes, please share the science kit!

Myron's Mom ~ Great progress on the quilt. Cats do like to help!

I spent nearly all day in the studio today. Of course I should have been doing other things, but I procraftinated! I did a machine applique monogram on a new sweatshirt; made a tissue box cover with machine embroideried butterflies on it; and kitted up some CCS charts to take on our camping trip (much more than I will ever accomplish).

Ready for another day of crafting tomorrow at Open Sew. I'll be working on the chenille wall hanging.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is the link for the science kit:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Christmas-Science-Kits-2236215

It is $5 and then you can print and make as many as you like :)

I got my craft kit back out and have it with me for when I have a chance to work on things during the day. Also spent a few minutes working on loading treat bags - hoping to finish that tonight. Have a few more tags to make for that too.

Reactions: Lana and GrammaDeb

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
AJ Thanks for sharing the site. Looks like alot of cool stuff on it.

Allen cut out 2 ckbook covers but they are to small. Alittle over quarter of inch to small. A Halloween and Thanksgiving one. Guess I will have a couple of rectangle potholders. I might get the Thanksgiving one to work will see. Halloween is about 1/2" to small. I told him 7 x 13 but he went 6 something by 12 something!

Got 5 globes out to paint with frosted paint and I got the wrong globes. I got clear glass and should of gotten white. Will give one another few coats and see how it will do. If not will use these for another craft ideal and get correct ones. I swear!

Trying to get ahead and moving a couple steps backwards. Oh well, that is the way it goes.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I didn’t get to my quilting yesterday. I was supposed to help my cousin at some point to make 2 aprons. Since we haven’t been able to get together I just made them. I used the adult pattern I made for one. I copied the apron my grandma made up for me ( it’s completely hand stitched) for the child’s. Used fabric from my stash for both. The child one is cute made from Santa fabric. Today I plan to work on quilting in between killing spiders in my sewing room!

Reactions: Lana

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
AuntJamelle - Thanks for sharing the link!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
This a.m. I put the faces on about 18 snowmen and then I glittered the inside of about 25 to 30 more. Allen is actually drilling holes for the strings now.

Went to Menards and got the correct globes for the projects. Added 3 more to the list and thinking of doing one for each branch with CTB stenciled on them.