Choosing a Planner 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Has anyone heard of Passion Planner? I just started using one, and I really like it. It's more goal oriented, rather than appointment oriented. At the beginning and halfway thru the year, you list out your goals, and what's important to you. This helps with focus. I bought a preprinted one, but they also have undated ones. There's monthly and weekly pages, and there's places to note your weekly focus, good things that happened, ideas you have, and personal/work to do's. On their website you can download sample pages, so you can try it before you buy it, or make your own planner using their pages.

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I had a Passion Planner a few years ago and really liked the way it was set up. I'm horrible at planners so I didn't really use it, but I think I bought an undated one and I still have it so I may use it eventually. I'm hoping to become better at using my planner this year.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I’m on my fourth Erin Condren vertical. I tried the hourly format one year and didn’t care for it. I was listening to a vlogger talk about her idea to have different journals for budgeting, menus, to do lists and how she found it just too much work. I would too. I use my Erin Condren for everything and there is plenty of room for appointments, goals, menus, to-dos, etc. I am a little addicted to stickers but they look so pretty.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was at Aldi a few days ago and there was 1 planner there. I picked it up and it seemed perfect for what I need. It has all the pages that I use, the only problem is that the cover is not that attractive. Oh well. the price was right so it found its way into my basket.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina, I did a collage on one of my dividers of inspirational words and I love it! I used Modge Podge. Could you do something like that? I know it seems silly, but if the outside isn't attractive to me, it doesn't inspire me to use it. :confused:

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina, I did a collage on one of my dividers of inspirational words and I love it! I used Modge Podge. Could you do something like that? I know it seems silly, but if the outside isn't attractive to me, it doesn't inspire me to use it. :confused:
I totally agree that if it is not attractive I am less inspired. The sheets in the new planner are the exact same size and layout as my current planner so I can just move everything over. I also thought of adding changing the cover with fabric or some other form.

Reactions: missjane

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Isn't it funny how a cover could make or break a purchase? I have been buying a plain cover for years. However, I often thought if I found another planner that I liked but has a decorative cover that I didn't like, then I'd use scrapbook paper or material to cover it. I tend to keep my planner open all the time so I don't even see the front cover any way.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, we are a fickle lot lol but planners are serious business, they have to be just so.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Continuing this conversation even though it has been a few months....

I was really into figuring out my planner system last year. And now I'm steaming along with my current one and doing good but looking ahead to 2020. How can we take this whole thread and change the title to 2020 so we can keep the history on it? :)

I loved the Happy Planner and Erin Condren but I couldn't quite make the layouts work for my needs.. I doodle calendar icons in them as I'm trying to teach myself how to draw. Baby steps, right?

I chose the Arc Junior Planner system from Staples. The covers are very sturdy. Also the pages can move easily which was important to me. Then I went through these steps:
1. I popped a hairband around the front cover which really gave it a custom look and one I can swap out at any time.
2. I YouTubed how to make my own planner pages in MS Word (which needs work if you ask me because it would be SO much easier if there was an easy way to view "2 pages up" in MS Word. But I got it done and then changed the shadow colors by season.
3. I bought a box of paper in the right weight online. Then I paid a few bucks to have staples cut it to size for me. The whole box. Done.
4. Made a whole bunch of templates I use all the time to go into it. Grocery, To-DO, etc....
5. Bought dividers at Staples and use Washi Tape for labels. Love the look and super easy.
6. Now I have this notebook in 3 colors for different purposes so I must be pretty happy with it.
6. Then lived happily ever after....til this year. All is well except the calendar.... 2020 is coming. The thought of dealing with that calendar is daunting if MS Word hasn't upped their game a bit. I might be looking at Erin Condren again. I have a feeling it will have like ONE thing on the page I won't like and I'll be back in front of MS Word again in January. :) But tis the season!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
That Passion Planner looks pretty cool too!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was really into figuring out my planner system last year. And now I'm steaming along with my current one and doing good but looking ahead to 2020. How can we take this whole thread and change the title to 2020 so we can keep the history on it? :)!

Send a message to Minta. I think she can change it.

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
After using the Erin Condren LifePlanner for several years, I've switched to her On The Go Folio for 2020 after watching several YouTube reviews. It's a leather-like outer shell with four loops inside for a variety of Petite Planner options. I have the first quarter monthly planner, a plain lined notebooks because I'm always making notes and lists, the menu planner, and the budget book. I like that I can just slip out the monthly planner and put it in my handbag. The LifePlanner was too bulky and heavy to carry around every day. Super happy that I got it on a great sale, had reward dollars, and a coupon!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have had my planner for a while. I need to still set it up and decorate it. We don't get any of the planners discussed here so we have not got those options.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
For 2020 I picked up a recollections planner. It’s a simple planner and I got it on clearance at Michaels. Calendar, and some line papers for notes etc. I have a separate planner that I use for my Christmas planning and crafting.

I need to decorate and date the pages. On my list for after my Christmas crafting is done.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a separate planner that I use for my Christmas planning and crafting.
I usual make sure that my planner is big enough to also include my Christmas lists. I am thinking of separating them for next year. Will think about how I would most like these to be.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Continuing this conversation even though it has been a few months....

I was really into figuring out my planner system last year. And now I'm steaming along with my current one and doing good but looking ahead to 2020. How can we take this whole thread and change the title to 2020 so we can keep the history on it? :)

You can start a new thread for 2020 and put the link to this somewhere in the new post. I don't know any other way to do it...

Reactions: DawnSu

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I had a Blue Sky planner this year. I was able to customize the cover on their website and then choose up to 5 add-on options. I really liked it. It was a pretty basic setup but you could choose from several different ones, they even had a teacher setup I believe. It did everything I needed it to do anyway. I may research other ones for next year, but we'll see. I used it more than I thought I would, I tried to be intentional about it.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I usual make sure that my planner is big enough to also include my Christmas lists. I am thinking of separating them for next year. Will think about how I would most like these to be.

I used to keep them in one binder but a few years ago found it much easier to keep them separate as I like to have my crafting section where I use it most and that’s the crafting area of my home. The Christmas section is basically down to just a few list which I don’t need to access/carry every day so it just made sense to take it out and keep with the crafting section.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I sent a note to Minta to ask her to change the thread title to 2020.

Reactions: DawnSu

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I spent several hours tonight setting up and decorating my planner for 2020. . There is plenty of room for my Christmas lists, general ramblings, cooking/baking lists and still have room left over. Am ready for the New Year.

Reactions: teachermomof2