Instant Pot/Multi Cooker recipes.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have recently bought a Multi Cooker and am looking at trying some recipes that you have tried and can recommend.
I know that there are a lot of recipes out there but would like to hear from any of you that have a particular favourite.
Hoping that we can start a page here of all the tried and true recipes.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I haven't used the Multi-Cooker as much since March because of our schedule. I plan to use it more during these next few months as I stock up on freezer meals. I like using it for making up large batches of rice and then freezing the rice.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I have been reading a few recipe books. Looks like it is a useful machine to use in both Winter and Summer, using it in the Summer prevents the kitchen from heating up. I like the idea of batch cooking rice and freezing it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This summer I am going to try to use the Instant Pot once a week. I would like to try it out for bulk cooking first. Either today or tomorrow, I'm going to cook up a batch of ground beef. I'll let you know how it works.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, they look amazing and I have most of the ingredients on hand. I am sure that DH will love those ribs.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I cooked two 4lbs. batches of ground beef. I read through a few websites to see how they cooked their ground beef. I ended up using this one - https://www.recipesthatcrock.com/instant-pot-ground-beef-batch-cooking/

It was closest to how I typically cook the ground beef on the stove. The first batch took 35 minutes from start to finish. The second batch was about the same time. I don't think it was any faster than when I boil 8 lbs at once on the stove but it just felt like the whole process involved less work and clean up. I also felt like I could get some work done in another room while it cooked without worrying if the pot was boiling too much.

Diedra, I've never made ribs because they seem like a hassle but after reading through the recipe, I may just try it this summer.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I think that a lot of the recipes that I have seen seem to take as long as stovetop. I agree though that I like to be able to put the meal on and go and do other things with out the risk of the meat catching in the pan.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Mary, You will be amazed at how good the ribs turn out.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, You will be amazed at how good the ribs turn out.

I never did get to the ribs. One day...

I've been meaning to update what I've cooked with the Instant Pot. I did make lentils, rice, risotto and beans in the Instant Pot. I followed the guidelines in the manual for each item made. I would do all of them again for bulk cooking. It was self-contained and I could walk away to work on something else without worrying about burning anything. I think that is what I like the best about this pressure cooker.

Notes on the lentils and beans:
  • I cooked brown lentils. They held their shape. I read that the red lentils will come out like mush in the Instant Pot.
  • Black beans, Pinto beans and Great Northern beans were the ones that I cooked in one day. It was a last minute decision to cook them up. The Great Northern were not soaked prior to cooking. Pinto beans soaked for one hour. Black beans soaked for two hours. From start to finish, each batch took about 60 minutes: 10-15 minutes to warm up, 30 minutes to cook, and 15 minutes to cool down before moving the steam valve. The beans held their shape. The manual said that if I had soaked the beans for 6 hours, the beans would have cooked up in 7-8 minutes. That is something that I'll think about for next time.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great info about the beans.Thanks for the info.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I just received one of these as a gift and hadn't ever heard of them before. I'm also looking for things to do with it . :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So I did one last night I've used a couple times for Mongolian Beef. It's a great way for me to use up my cheep cuts of beef from our cow..and we tend to get alot. Here you go... I didn't have rice wine, so I just use rice vinegar. Also it's way sweet so the lady recommends 2/3 cup of brown sugar, I would say NO!!..and because it is so sweet, adding in steamed veges is tasty.

https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-mongolian-beef/

I do agree with some..time wise some things take just as long...BUT...For some things that normally take all day it's amazing. Like Mexican beans...and beef and chicken broth. Soooo yummy. I just did beef broth 2 nights ago, let it cook for the 3 hours and because I started late in the evening, I just let it go to warm all night and it came out perfect in the morning and the small amount of beef on the bones fell off.

I'm looking at my bookmarks and here are recipes I have actually tried and enjoyed!!!

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/instant-pot-steak-chili/
https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/instant-pot-mexican-pinto-beans/ People love these with corn bread!
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-refried-beans/
https://www.meatloafandmelodrama.com/instant-pot-swiss-steak/
https://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-baked-beans/

and last but not least....a St. Patrick's Day Delight. Now I won't necessarily follow her seasoning per say, but the cooking times and all were good for reference. What use to take me all day when cooking 3 or 4 corned beef was cut down into an afternoon. AMAZING!!! I'll probably keep cooking it this way because of ease.
https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-corned-beef-cabbage/

As you can tell there is a theme with the beef, but like I said above...it really was a game changer for us with the tougher beef cuts because my brother doesn't have good choppers, so steak can be difficult and these kinds of recipes in the instapot have given us options for him to eat the beef and us to actually get through it finally.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
So I did one last night I've used a couple times for Mongolian Beef. It's a great way for me to use up my cheep cuts of beef from our cow..and we tend to get alot.

Michelle, you may want to add making beef stock to your list of things to do with the Instant Pot. I made turkey stock aka bone broth in the Instant Pot last night using the bones of a roasted turkey breast. I don't think I'll go back to the stove top way anytime soon. :D

I used the soup/broth setting at high pressure. It took about 30 minutes for the pressure cooker to heat up, 120 minutes to pressure cook and 90 minutes to cool down before moving the steam valve. I think you can wait 30 minutes before releasing the steam valve but since it cooked so long, I felt more comfortable waiting longer.

Here's the recipe that I basically used:
https://www.platingsandpairings.com/the-best-instant-pot-bone-broth/

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm on a roll with the Instant Pot. ;) I cooked up a bottom round roast in the Instant Pot for dinner tonight. Everyone liked it. It took a bit more prep time than I expected. However, I would do it again and plan my time accordingly.

For the most part, I followed this recipe. https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/instant-pot-pot-roast/

I didn't add carrots or potatoes. I reduced the sodium content for my own health reasons. At the end, when making the gravy, it was suggested to add a lot more water and then add corn starch to thicken it. I didn't think it was necessary to add more water. I did add the corn starch. I could have probably added more corn starch to make it thicker but I had a hungry crew who didn't care if the gravy was thicker.

I think the next time a bottom round roast goes on sale, I'll try the Mongolian Beef.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm printing out these recipes to try. I've been very unsuccessful on beef bone broth. Chicken and Turkey turn out well but beef has been a challenge. A couple things to share:

Costco just brought in an accessory pack for the Instant Pot that was flying off the shelves a few days ago. 2 stainless pans with lids for smaller cakes and such. One was a cheesecake baking pan. I was strong that day thinking I have enough pans already, but I might have to go back and get it.

Next up for me is Greek Yogurt. Ordered a strainer off Amazon yesterday. DS goes through a LOT of yogurt so I thought I'd try making my own. Still watching videos and figuring it out.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Mary, I did bring home some soup bones and went for it. They broth was so easy...I cooked it for the recommended time and since it was late in the evening I just left it to cool down on it's own and then let it go to warm all night. I woke up the next day with the best broth and made then made beef barley soup with it a couple days later.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Next up for me is Greek Yogurt. Ordered a strainer off Amazon yesterday. DS goes through a LOT of yogurt so I thought I'd try making my own. Still watching videos and figuring it out.
We did the Greek yoghurt when we first got our instatpot and it was not to our liking. I used the recipe that came with the pot but think I will try to source a recipe from elsewhere. We eat a lot of yoghurt especially in Summer.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I did bring home some soup bones and went for it. They broth was so easy...I cooked it for the recommended time and since it was late in the evening I just left it to cool down on it's own and then let it go to warm all night. I woke up the next day with the best broth and made then made beef barley soup with it a couple days later.
This is what I do like about the Instapot. The fact that it can stay warm all night means that if I want to start something when I come home from work I can without the hassle of getting up to turn it off when finished.