Thanksgiving 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I made the calls. My parents and brother will join us. My parents will bring a buttered green bean and carrot dish. My brother will pick up a dessert. We'll serve turkey, cranberry, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and creamed spinach.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Last year, we rented a cabin and both my sisters and all my nieces and nephews (and greats) were there. DSis#2's step-son was killed in a motorcycle wreck Memorial Day weekend, so we've decided to not do it that way again this year. We were concerned it would bring too many memories for her since that was the last time we were all together as a family. She and her children are going the weekend before Thanksgiving and scattering his ashes in Texas. So...

We're having Thanksgiving at DD26 and DSIL's house. It will be just DH and myself, our children and grandchildren, DSIL's parents, and my mom. We're having it Wednesday night because DDIL's family will have theirs Thursday since her brother will be home from work that day. He works in the oil field in Texas - two weeks on, two weeks off.

When DD26 and I met for lunch Thursday, we talked about the menu and who would bring what. Still need to make final decisions on all that, but I know DH and I are doing the turkey. I'm excited to get to have it with DSIL's parents!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
So far it will be me , DH, DD, DS, my mom, BIL, DH's aunt and cousin. We extended invites to friends and their son. Still waiting for an answer from them. SIL and her family are suppose to go out of town this year. It's not uncommon for our guest list to change in the days leading up to Thanksgiving so we shall see what happened this year.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
The plan is going up a few days before Thanksgiving and helping my mom put up her 2 Christmas trees and Thanksgiving dinner will be at my oldest brother's house. Friday we will head back home to decorate for Christmas. I always aim for December 1 to be ready for Christmas. Not sure about the baking yet as we won't need it until NYE when we celebrate Christmas with the entire family.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Will be just the 2 of us at home this year for dinner. Husband asked if I would mind fixing a small dinner instead of going out. I’ll just get a turkey breast since neither one of us is madly in love with turkey. I have my pie crusts made already for the pumpkin pie. A nice bottle of wine, a fire and our traditional thanksgiving night movies (miracle on 34th street and home alone) suits me just fine.
I’ve already checked out the kohl’s ad lol!
That sounds lovely - we're not big turkey eaters either so I always buy a turkey roast (not that processed, packed in a loaf tin roast, this is a real breast of turkey) and it cooks beautifully in the CrockPot. Slices really well and there's plenty for turkey sandwiches for a couple of days. It will just be Sophia and me and like you, a fire and movies.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I’m not really a turkey fan but I have some turkey leftover recipes that I love.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We're in Canada, but we have a tradition of having a small-scale Thanksgiving meal on the American Thanksgiving since DH is often in the US and celebrating there, and my father grew up celebrating the US Thanksgiving. We usually have a roast chicken instead of a turkey but still with fixings like stuffing, sweet potatoes etc. and pie. We watch the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade and drink hot chocolate with candy canes for stirrers. I used to always watch Miracle on 34th street right after the parade, but NBC seems to have changed to showing a dog show afterwards instead of the movie. I'll have to find a copy of the movie from somewhere else. :)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Just found out our son will be home for thanksgiving and Christmas. He usually spends thanksgiving with his mom and Christmas with us. Such a nice surprise. I’ll make a extra pie to send home with him And I may rethink what I’m fixing for dinner.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Dh said tonight we should rethink our Thanksgiving menu. He suggested prime rib. Was fine by me. He said that would be easier for him to cook since I might not be cooking by then.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My husbands family finally called to confirm plans. I'm the odd one out, so I just wait for the call and always say "I'll bring stuffing and sweet potatoes". After I figured out they always wait till the last minute, I just figure I'll always answer with the same item and make it easy on myself..lol

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Myron’s Mom – Your small dinner at home sounds delightful! We adore the Rotisserie flavor marinaded turkey breast from Aldi (their Fit & Active brand) – it’s SO good! Do you make your turkey breast a certain way? And hooray for the news on your son being home – that is awesome!

Mary – Your menu is classic and sounds perfect!!!

Missjane – so sorry to hear about the motorcycle accident L a good friend of mine lost her dad to a car accident just before Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. It makes this time of year hard for her. Your plans this year sound wonderful!

Minta – Don’t you just love rolling with the punches when planning things like Thanksgiving??? LOL

HolidayMom – Hope work is not TOO busy! Or you’re going to fall asleep after your turkey!!!

Jody – That is awesome that you are helping your mom put up her trees – hope you have fun! I try to be ready with décor as soon as possible after Thanksgiving. It is not unknown for us to get home from family Thursday evening and for me to pull out all the totes while DH is passed out on the couch snoring LOL

Pamela – Thanks for the turkey breast tips! Will have to look for that! Your plans sound so cozy!

Ahorsesoul – You know, I don’t MIND turkey, but I DO have more fun with the leftovers. Turkey paninis! Turkey Mushroom Puff Pastry Pockets!!! Turkey Pot Pie! Oh the list goes on! But Prime Rib – now that is just delish! We have that at Thanksgiving often. Love that with a Creamy Horseradish Sauce!!!

FrostyShimmer – I think it just stinks that they don’t show Miracle on 34th St after the parade anymore! They should show both versions, back to back! I mean, I like dogs and all but I know what I’d choose to watch if I had the pick!

Michelle- LOL – Good for you figuring out how to “manage” the last minute syndrome. That drives me nuts because I am just not wired that way!

Time is flying and the "big" day is going to be here before I know it! Spent time yesterday finalizing my BF plans! I'm reviewing my groc lists and need to make a food timeline.

I "was" going to make a Butterscotch Cheesecake but got a last minute request for my White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake instead.

I just so happen to have one in the freezer LOL I was going to serve it at dinner in December for all the brothers and wives but I am going to make a different cheesecake for that event instead.

I need to pick out outfits for all of us to wear - nothing fancy - but that will look nice in photos, you know?

No need to pick out wine, the family we go down to always have the BEST!

I'm sure there is something I am forgetting! Feeling run down from hectic work schedule/home schedule - drinking Airbourne as I type!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I "was" going to make a Butterscotch Cheesecake but got a last minute request for my White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cheesecake instead.
Be still my heart.

We do not celebrate Thanksgiving here but I do enjoy reading about your menus and preparations. I do believe I would love Thanksgiving if I was in the U.S or Canada.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You can still have Thanksgiving. It can be a time to celebrate family and friends. Barbecue turkey or chicken legs for a party.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
You can still have Thanksgiving. It can be a time to celebrate family and friends. Barbecue turkey or chicken legs for a party.
what a wonderful idea. I might just think about this one.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Be still my heart.

We do not celebrate Thanksgiving here but I do enjoy reading about your menus and preparations. I do believe I would love Thanksgiving if I was in the U.S or Canada.
We always used to have Thanksgiving when we lived in England. Mum would invite a couple of the neighbors to join us and explained the significance. My sister and I loved that we were excused from school on that day!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
It will just be us, although I invited our friends i'm pretty sure they aren't coming. We will have chicken (either baked or grilled), homemade noodles, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, homemade rolls, and chocolate pie, butterscotch pie, and pumpkin pie.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
This year we were throwing it back to our 1960s Thanksgiving traditions.
*Triscuits $ Cracker Barrell cheese
*Pimento-stuffed olives, black olives, & celery stuffed with Temptee cream cheese
*squash
*Mashed potatoes
*Pepperidge Farm stuffing
*Greed bean casserole
*Canned jellied cranberry sauce, & homemade whole berry cranberry sauce
*Turkey & giblets gravy
*apple pie/pumpkin pie/pudding pie w/ spray redi whip
*whole nuts & dates & dried fruit tray
*coffee, tea, spiced apple cider
Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving, full of traditions & magical moments.
Gadget-

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
It will just be us, although I invited our friends i'm pretty sure they aren't coming. We will have chicken (either baked or grilled), homemade noodles, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, homemade rolls, and chocolate pie, butterscotch pie, and pumpkin pie.
Your feast sounds delicious- enjoy your day!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
This year we were throwing it back to our 1960s Thanksgiving traditions.
*Triscuits $ Cracker Barrell cheese
*Pimento-stuffed olives, black olives, & celery stuffed with Temptee cream cheese
*squash
*Mashed potatoes
*Pepperidge Farm stuffing
*Greed bean casserole
*Canned jellied cranberry sauce, & homemade whole berry cranberry sauce
*Turkey & giblets gravy
*apple pie/pumpkin pie/pudding pie w/ spray redi whip
*whole nuts & dates & dried fruit tray
*coffee, tea, spiced apple cider
Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving, full of traditions & magical moments.
Gadget-

Sounds amazing!!!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul