Word of the Year 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My students are at lunch, so......

I think I've decided on my word - Confidence.

- to trust God's purposes and timing in my life
- in my abilities
- to recognize and accept my life as it currently is, when I can do nothing about it
- to recognize the changes I do need to make
- to face and make the changes I can make
- to learn new things
- to finish this school year strongly without hating every day that I come (I'm sorry...my love of teaching is just gone and this makes me sad)
- to take care of myself
- to embrace the changes that are coming after I retire

Going back over this today....
I see I still have some work to do, especially in the area of taking care of myself and making changes I need to make. I've had a lot of pain in the last 6 months or so from my arthritis. I'm resisting taking medication for it, and I probably shouldn't do that. I've noticed that when I hurt, it keeps me from getting up and being mobile and doing the things that need to be done. I've tried two prescription strength medicines with negative effects from both.

I really wanted that year off to completely purge my house before I took another job, but as the first bullet says, I have to have the confidence to trust God's timing in my life. Kudos here to all of you who work a full-time job and still do a fantastic job keeping your home in order. I'm going to have to learn how to do that.

DH and I are both working together to adjust to the financial changes that retirement is bringing. We've decided to not let this new income become depended upon. We're going to put up some and use some to do work on the Crowville house or our current house. I would like to rent our current house or use it as a B and B rental, but DH isn't too keen on that idea. We'll see. We haven't gotten a real good feel of how it will affect our schedule and won't until DH goes back to work in August.

I finished the school year!!! And I noticed when we received a flyer in the mail about back to school, it didn't create the unbearable dread that it usually unleashed in the pit of my stomach!! I'll never have to go back to that again! (hopefully, remember, God sometimes has other plans)

I feel that I have confidence in the things I'm doing at the new job (well, I'm still learning new things, but...), and the doctor has confidence in my ability to do them, as he's bringing me in, along with others, on the plans he's developing.

We'll see how the next six months go!

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I really wanted that year off to completely purge my house before I took another job, but as the first bullet says, I have to have the confidence to trust God's timing in my life. Kudos here to all of you who work a full-time job and still do a fantastic job keeping your home in order. I'm going to have to learn how to do that.

Jane, your teaching time included working on things at home....every teacher does. Doing only what needs to be done is often the mode we are in during the school year. Then we delude ourselves with grandiose ideas of the massive clean we will do during the summer. Summer brings, baseball games, heat, reunions weddings, etc. and by mid July we start preparing for the next school year. We started back mid August for in-service and room set up. We do not get 3 months off as many people think we do. Hang in there, Jane hopefully the new job doesn't bring homework to do and stays at the office. Spend your money as you see fit and trust God to take care of you.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are into the last 3 months of the year. Time for me to re evaluate my word and to see where I am at. I have fallen off the wagon a little with some of the goals that I set for this year, not so bad that I cannot get back to where I need to be. A little effort and I will be back on track.
How are you all going with your words?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Bringing this up has been timely. Dh and I were discussing my word of the year on Friday night.

I've been letting things creep into my life that are negative and that take away from me and the rebuilding of myself. It's like weeding in a garden. You got to keep up with it. When you don't, they slowly make their way in and before you know it, they just about take it over.

Now with me, I've found that when the weeds take over, I ask my family to help weed the garden with me. The task is overwhelming otherwise and I give up too soon. So I've asked my dh to help me "weed" things from my life and that's when he pointed out the negativity that I was letting in. I'm working on naming the negative things, finding ways to let it go and then doing things that are positive and strengthen me.

Reactions: jampss and luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
One month left... How's everyone doing?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am doing OK for 2019. Have not yet achieved everything that I set out to do but think I am in a much better place then I was this time last year.
Need to start thing of a word for 2020

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I feel like i've done pretty well with my Word this year. I've tried to anyway. I think I might already know what my Word for 2020 will be, it came to me a while back and I put it in my phone so I could mull it over and see it every time I opened up my Notes section and it has grown on me, it's not super far from my word this year.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was telling my wellness coach that I really wanted to “put the skip back in my step”. So I’m looking for a word that reflects that message.

Reactions: luludou

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was telling my wellness coach that I really wanted to “put the skip back in my step”. So I’m looking for a word that reflects that message.

You could choose "skip-to-my-lou"!
Did any of you sing that? Skip to my Lou my darling! Flies in the buttermilk, shoo, fly, shoo. Skip to my Lou, my darling!
Haha...thanks for the walk down memory lane, Diedra! I have not thought about that fun little song in years.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Not thrilled with my accomplishment of my word this year, but have been trying to focus to set one for 2020.
Sounds like many of you have done well.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

Hmmm... What brings you joy? The reason I ask is that a few times I've caught a glimpse of my older daughters skip or walk with a bounce to their step when they were really happy. You can catch me dancing when I hear certain songs that remind me of happy times in my life. :D

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am thinking with everything that has happened with DH this year my word should be grateful....Still mulling it over.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My word has been strengthen as in strengthen the foundation. I definitely have done that this year keeping in mind the idea of doing it slow and steady. Can I tell you that slow and steady was often times slow and painful?! I was making intentional daily decisions that weren't fun to do but they were the right thing to do. I've learned a lot about myself and I am happy with where I am right now.

I'm thinking about a word for 2020 now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
My 2019 word/phrase was "peace be the journey." Hit a huge speed bump halfway through the year; but even then, especially when I needed it the most, I was blessed with peace.

I've been thinking about and researching my 2020 word. I believe I have found it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia