January 2020 Declutter Club.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
And so starts a new year of clutter control.

I will start with Christmas clutter, there are things I no longer want or need.
Then I will continue room by room throughout the year and see what I can find.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have plans to declutter the hall closet to start with!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i have done some bags everyday this week to go to goodwill. clothes books knick knacks feels good to get rid of them. i have way to much stuff . thats my goal for 2020 only buy what i need. want to save for a vacation this summer.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I will be making an effort to get back here more regularly, 2019 was a bust! Lol
I also will be starting with Christmas décor, and I already have one box for donation. I need to drastically reduce what we have and then reorganize for next year. After that I have already started planning out my room by room plan. I anticipate it will take most of the year, and that's ok.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There are many charities here that are looking for donations to help people affected by the bushfires. I will use the opportunity to clear our some drawers and my wardrobe and see what I can donate. A sad but good reason to declutter.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I asked for and received Marie Kondo's book "Spark Joy." I'm ready to read the Introduction and have a go at getting organized. I have too much "stuff" crammed into the bedroom dh & I live in.

Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I asked for and received Marie Kondo's book "Spark Joy." I'm ready to read the Introduction and have a go at getting organized. I have too much "stuff" crammed into the bedroom dh & I live in.
Deb, I have not read this but have seen the TV show. Something that I would like to try this year are her methods.

Reactions: jampss

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
2020, up to now decluttered
- 6 books given to mom
- 1 cushion given to dn
- 1 sweater given to dn
- 1 fabric reindeer in donation box

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
There was a series of maybe six or seven Tidy Up shows on Netflix with Marie Kondo. It was really good.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Am decuttering the Christmas totes, it is harder than I thought but somethings have to go. I have too much and do not want to buy another tote.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Am decuttering the Christmas totes, it is harder than I thought but somethings have to go. I have too much and do not want to buy another tote.

Would taking a picture of some of the things help you with letting go?

January 2nd and we're off to a good start. I'm planning to declutter the basement for the month of January. I did that last year and it was a bigger project than I expected. It had been a couple of years since I sorted through things. This year shouldn't be as bad.

Today, I got rid of some newspapers and flyers that I saved throughout December just in case I needed extra coupons, which I didn't...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Would taking a picture of some of the things help you with letting go?
One of the problems I am having is donating things that I think that the kids might want. I have taken photos of a few things and sent them to the kids and they are saying to donate. Makes the decision easier.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Gave an infinity scarf I crocheted to dniece. Threw away the Christmas tablecloth (was thorn in some places) as well as a very old sweater.
DH took 5 books + 1 cheese cutting board to thrift shop this morning.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Decluttered Christmas and was pleased with what I managed to donate. One garbage bag full of Christmas decorations, old headbands, Santa hats, signs. Things that were broken or just no longer needed.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Gave dnephew a pair of running shoes (had worn them once). Sent more small ramequins to thrift shop

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I started decluttering the basement today. Two large boxes filled with broken down boxes from online shopping this past Christmas have been taken to the curb for pick up.

Reactions: luludou and Lana

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I'm starting with my Master Bath, with ongoing work on my Scrap/Computer Room, I have already made a HUGE dent in it. I need to clear off the tables & desk. I also bought a label maker so I can separate embelishments & label the drawers Christmas/Family/Etc.
I bought the Lifechanging Magic of Tidying up a year or two ago but never got into it.
There are many cleaning videos on YouTube. It's called Clean With Me. You'll find lots & lots. They can be very motivating.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got more stuff out of the basement either to the trash or recycling. I also have a corner in the basement set aside for donations. Some of the donations are things that I went through last year but wasn't ready to give it up. I had decided that if I used it within the year then I'd keep it. If not, then it was time to donate. There are still things in the basement that are sentimental so I will keep those another year and evaluate.