Crafters Challenge January 12th--18th, 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Greetings!

I'm looking forward to some crafting at Kathy's today while we watch a show about quilting history. We might pop over to Joanns, too, so I can pick up some DMC and look for some winter fabric for my deck table. I'm really enjoying changing out the table cloth seasonally. I could also use something for a winter table runner, 'cause, yea, I need more projects. LOL

Reactions: AuntJamelle

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was thinking of making slippers for family. Anyone ever make them? Any hints or ideas?

I made some super easy ones at Christmas for DD3 who suddenly decided the night before Christmas Eve that the only and most important thing she wanted was a pair of slippers. It only took me a couple hours to make the pair. I added GIANT pompoms for her enjoyment :) I also have an old pattern of my grandmother's from the 60s for a similar pair that includes instructions to customize them in about 10 different ways....adding pompoms, different stitches and adourments, etc.

https://www.churchmouseyarns.com/collections/free-patterns/products/family-slippers

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I hope to finish my ugly socks for DD9 tonight. She came downstairs last night and saw them sitting on the table for the first time. She looked at them and said "Those are such pretty socks! Are they for you?". I told her no. She asked who they were for and I told her "I don't really know yet, I guess I'll have to see how big they are when they're done." She looked hopeful that they were for her. lol. Just goes to show you beauty really is in the eye of the beholder! :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm thinking today might be the day to do some crafts to go kits.. pick things in my to-do list, get the supplies out with the pattern and put it all in ziploc bags ready to make when I feel so inclined.

That's a good idea. I keep a yarn valet in the car with pattern, needles (or hook) and yarn in the car all the time to work on whenever we get stuck in contructions or I'm left in the car while DH runs into a store for "5 secs" and comes back twenty minutes later :)

https://www.amazon.ca/Yarn-Valet-Pa...words=yarn+valet&qid=1579022614&s=toys&sr=8-4

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I keep a yarn valet in the car with pattern, needles (or hook) and yarn in the car all the time to work on whenever we get stuck in contructions or I'm left in the car while DH runs into a store for "5 secs" and comes back twenty minutes later

I absolutely do the same as far us using "down" time to craft! Fast food drive thrus, pharmacy drive thru, waiting in dr office or for oil change, you name it! I keep a ziplock with current crafting kit with me and all those little bits of time add up!!!

I am now 99% done with another mini emb hoop ornament - just need to cut and finish the backer to glue on.

Worked on designing a couple of cards on the CriCut software last night as well.

DJ - Hope your arm feels better soon!!!! The hoops in the last photo I shared are about 4 inches I think - I'll have to check!

Fingers crossed I'll get some crafting time in tonight after all my "chores"

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
just need to cut and finish the backer to glue on.
Can you show us the back of your hoops? I would be interested to see how you finish them off.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm working on a crochet bowl cozy for my little 8 year old friend. New pattern to me. Counted wrong. Had to pull some out and re-do, but it's looking cute. Sort of lop sided.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Can you show us the back of your hoops? I would be interested to see how you finish them off.

Sure! See link below for example!

I trace the outside edge of the hoop and cut out a piece of felt that is in a color I think compliments the design on the front. (Tip - use a bar of soap remnant - those thin slivers you get at the end - to trace on dark fabrics) I then hold the circle up to the hoop to make sure it fits right - i.e. you can't see parts of the circle from the front - I trim as needed.

Then I blanket stitch the edge with full (non-split) piece of embroidery floss in desired color.Make sure the piece of floss is very long so you can go all the way around your circle without having to use another piece of thread - because that is a pain :)

I cut a length of ribbon and tie ends together to form a loop for hanging. I then hot glue the knot part of the ribbon to the inside edge of the hoop, top middle (right under the little spring screw thingy).

Optional but nice to do: I trace the inside circle of hoop (either doing this at very start of project or using an extra hoop same size) onto quilt batting - usually takes 2 circles to "fill" the back of the hoop.

I stack the circles of batting in place. This will give a nicer finished look and feel to the completed ornament after gluing on the felt backer piece.

I have found that placing hot glue on the back of the hoop works best if I only go around half of the circle at first. I place the felt piece (wrong side down to hide my knots after blanket stitching) perfectly aligned on the circle and gently press down where the hot glue is - then I lift up the side without glue - finish placing hot glue on the rest of the circle and press the rest of the felt into place.

And that is that!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/32896976347/in/dateposted-public/

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ Thanks for the great tutorial!

I did some craftermath control in the studio this morning which involved serging the edges on some hand towels to make rags, zig-zagging around some rugs so they won't fray, repairing the grommet on a bindle bag, sewing an applique over a rip on a shirt, making 3 pet beds (pillowcases filled with fabric scraps), repairing a seam on a free tote I got at a craft fair, and some ironing. All that had been stacked on the back of my sewing chair. What took me so long to get around to doing that?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, thank you, the backs are as pretty as the fronts.