Valentine's Day Decor

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Do you decorate for Valentine's Day?

When do you start?

I have snowmen and snowflakes out for January. Not quite ready to pull out the Valentine's Day items, but it seems to be happening in my friend's home and all over school already.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't traditionally decorate for Valentine's Day as it is not considered a big holiday here. I do something small for the kids and DH, last year oreos dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with little pink hearts. This year lollypops attached through heart shaped cardboard.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I decorated for Valentine's Day when I had youngins around, but I haven't done anything for quite a few years. In fact, I think only one person came into the house over the Christmas season, so the Christmas decorating was just for us two. That's okay. I was a little busy to entertain and we were out of town for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Only home for a few weeks in between. Last year around Valentine's Day I wished I had a few more decorations to put up, so this year, I am making some heart ornaments to hang on the rockery behind our gas stove. Other than that, maybe nothing. I may want to make a table runner or other table décor, but it won't be this year.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I usually put the Valentines Day decorations up on February 1st. I have a little entry table that gets decorated seasonally with touches of holiday decor added as necessary. The front door will get a heart shaped grape vine wreath. I have a few Dollar Store decorations that I picked up years ago to put on the windows or walls in our kitchen, living room and dining room.

Reactions: DawnSu

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, the front door wreath sounds darling.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I add little felt hearts I made to the evergreen garland and white lights I left up on the top of china cabinet. Valentines wreaths on inside of French doors (2 matching) and inside of side door - all in living/dining area. Then one above our bed and one on the front door. That is the extent of it! :)

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm limiting my January-August decorating to my three-tiered tray, my Nora Fleming mini on my napkin holder, a banner which will probably go just below the mantle (I saw such a cute one at a craft fair in December made of fabric pennants, I need to find the lady's business card and see what she offers), and something on the front door (I have February, March, and July décor but need to investigate options for the other months). I also have small flags for each month that hang on the rods below two baskets on the wall. I have bigger flags for outside as well but no flag pole right now so I need to put that on Vic's to-do list for June. Photo coming soon of the tray.

I add little felt hearts I made to the evergreen garland and white lights I left up on the top of china cabinet. Valentines wreaths on inside of French doors (2 matching) and inside of side door - all in living/dining area. Then one above our bed and one on the front door. That is the extent of it! :)

Do you change out the wreaths on the French doors each month/holiday? Where do you store them? Storage is my biggest challenge for monthly/holidays-other-than-Christmas décor.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Do you change out the wreaths on the French doors each month/holiday? Where do you store them? Storage is my biggest challenge for monthly/holidays-other-than-Christmas décor.

I do change them out pretty often yes - and I have a TON of wreaths and swags. I'm very lucky to have a large upstairs storage room with wrap around shelving with clothing rod underneath - goes along 2 sides of the room and I "hang" all my wreaths/swags on there, side by side, when not in use.

I'm a sucker for a wreath, what can I say? :oops:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I can't upload the photo of my Valentine's three-tiered tray because the file is too large. Any tips for making it smaller?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I can't upload the photo of my Valentine's three-tiered tray because the file is too large. Any tips for making it smaller?
If you have a PC with Windows ... you right click on the photo and choose ‘edit’. Or you can choose ‘Open with Paint’. In that program you choose Resize. You can resize with percent or with pixels. I use 25% if I’m just wanting a small file size to upload online. Click Save.

Now this changes your file size. You may want to start off with a copy of your photo to make into a smaller size.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Thanks, jampss! Top tier is old, old Valentine long skinny vase with red tulips from the gift shop in Virginia plus two picks that were in a flower arrangement a long time ago plus one of the Target mugs (pink, I Love You, I Love You More), a Winnie the Pooh little guy wearing a red sweater with a heart, a metal stand with two clips holding two of the new mini Hallmark cards, and some baby's breath. There is a little plaque at the back that says P. S. I Love You. Middle tier is home is where the heart is red heart-shaped wooden piece from Jo Ann, a small framed picture of us (our anniversary is in February), three espresso cups from Home Goods with some red beads, a Mason jar full of white shredded paper, a glass piece that has a heart on it (you put a votive in the back, I'm using a battery-operated one), more baby's breath and a couple of sprigs of red round berries. Bottom tier is three Mason jars, one with pink shreds (hidden at the back), one with red (barely visible), and one with Valentine jelly beans, a small red mailbox with a glittery Love sign, white heart from Jo Ann with xoxo, the other pink mug from Target, two Valentine tea towels, more baby's breath and the bells and bird from our wedding cake. To the left is my Nora Fleming napkin holder with the Valentine three hearts mini holding Valentine napkins. I ordered the baby's breath from Amazon and I'm not happy with it - it's too plastic-looking, I need to find a nice silk version, if anyone has a source, please let me know. I tried Michaels and Jo Ann, no luck.IMG_0525 - Copy.jpg

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I have the same tray!
I love it - I can decorate for each holiday/season and keep all the decor in one spot. I saw a blog post of a winter layout, lots of white and I need to get on board next year and get that one up right after Christmas to enjoy until mid-January when I'll switch it out for Valentine's.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have mine done for January now. I'm going to add some Valentine's Day items this weekend. I have stuff for spring, summer, and fall, too.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I have mine done for January now. I'm going to add some Valentine's Day items this weekend. I have stuff for spring, summer, and fall, too.
That sounds like a good idea - have a foundation for the season and then add in touches for the individual holidays. A backdrop of winter could have New Year, Valentine's, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day, and then you'd move on to spring. I'll have to think some more about that idea.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I do change them out pretty often yes - and I have a TON of wreaths and swags. I'm very lucky to have a large upstairs storage room with wrap around shelving with clothing rod underneath - goes along 2 sides of the room and I "hang" all my wreaths/swags on there, side by side, when not in use.

I'm a sucker for a wreath, what can I say? :oops:
I need to figure out a hanging method for my wreaths, would u happen to have pics..