March 2020 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I thought I'd put up the March categories a little bit early - it's great to have extra time to track down the movie, book, and magazine as well as surf the blog, Pinterest, and You Tube at your leisure.

Movie: The Santa Clause with Tim Allen - 1, 2, or all 3!

Book: A Mrs. Miracle Christmas by Debbie Macomber

Magazines: Any Good Housekeeping Christmas issue - the older, the better. I ordered a couple from Ebay, 2001 and 2003 and it took me right back to the times when I bought the Christmas issue without fail. I compared the older issues to the new one, hands down the older ones were better. More content, double the number of pages, and more features and recipes that I would really use. I feel like the newer magazines are slowly getting more upscale, with the gift suggestions from pricier stores and the recipes using more specialty ingredients. I long for the simpler times. My all-time favorite Christmas appetizer recipe, Olive-Nut Spread, was cut from Heloise's column in Good Housekeeping years ago - I couldn't find her in the new issue! Here's the recipe - use the cheap olives, the salad kind that are already in bits and pieces because you're going to chop them up anyway - https://www.food.com/recipe/heloises-olive-nut-spread-109036 - it's amazing on crackers, French bread, bagels, on thin-sliced bread for an afternoon tea sandwiches, with pita chips, it's a huge hit every time I make it and no matter how I serve it.

Blog: http://mychristmaskitchen.blogspot.com/ - Mrs. T is amazing!

You Tube:

I wanted to suggest any British Christmas magazine for the magazine category but they are impossible to find unless you have a bookstore like Barnes and Noble near you and then only at Christmas time so here's the next best thing - one of my favorite British chefs, Delia Smith and her Classic Christmas. Part I is linked above and there is also Parts II and III. I could watch just for the decor and to hear her talk! Check out any Christmas video by Mary Berry or Nigella Lawson as well.

Pinterest: Bûche de Noël aka Yule Log Dessert or Christmas Swiss Roll - there are lots of options on Pinterest but this one is my favorite - https://emicooks.com/baileys-yule-log/ - and this one has some novel ideas for decorations - http://www.waltzingm.com/2011/01/buche-de-noel.html.

I hope you enjoy these selections for March Rudolph Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: luludou

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Is everyone seeing the picture of Delia's Classic Christmas with the play button? I didn't realize the link would convert directly to the video.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Is everyone seeing the picture of Delia's Classic Christmas with the play button? I didn't realize the link would convert directly to the video.
Yes, and I have watched all 3! I really like learning about cross cultural celebrations. Were your celebrations in England similar?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I didn’t see the play button but I am watching Part Two. I will try the scallop recipe with some gluten free twists.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Yes, it’s there and works even if I’m not logged in. I started watching can’t wait to be able to finish them. I’m only familiar with nigella Lawson.
We love the Santa clause movies. Especially the first 2.
I haven’t read the book, but we watch the mrs Miracle movies several times a year. I’ll have to look for the book!
I think I have a few of the older good housekeeping magazines if not I’ll check out eBay. Im with you about the older editions. I want all those comfort foods and memories.
Yule log!!! Sounds good to me. I’ve never made one. Maybe it’s time I give it a try.
Thank you for the great post Pam. I know I will enjoy checking everything out.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Yes, and I have watched all 3! I really like learning about cross cultural celebrations. Were your celebrations in England similar?
Yes, it terms of the food definitely - turkey, Christmas pudding, and Christmas cake were always on the menu, all homemade because processed food just wasn't a thing then. Now you can really find just about anything ready-made since so many families have two working parents. Things can be found from the ordinary in the supermarket to the upscale in many of the fancier stores. People still order their turkey from the butcher if they have one near, especially with the popularity of organic and free range meat and poultry.

The Christmas pudding crackers that Delia made are modeled after the decorative Christmas crackers that you can find all over now - Costco, TJ Maxx, etc. - they have a paper hat, a novelty, and a joke inside. There are lots of Christmas dinners with my family all wearing their hats! Some of the scenes took me right back - my Mum always had a radio and when she was planning a Christmas gathering for our family when my sister and I (and our families) were back in the States and going over to the UK, she chose a holiday cottage that had a coal fire.

I've mentioned it before, maybe here or maybe on my blog, that I found British Christmases to be so much less glitzy and commercialized than the ones we have in the States. It always seemed that the decorations were more muted, even things like wrapping paper and trimmings. I don't know if it's stayed that way, will have to try to get back to the UK one Christmas to see! A lot of people still eat out on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day but it's a special occasion, it could be one of the only times a family eats out all year. It's pretty dressy and the hotels, inns, and restaurants go all out with a festive menu. Here's one that I saved back in 2013.

Attachments

• ChristmasDayMenu2013.pdf
    735.4 KB · Views: 8

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for all the great ideas Pamela. The menu is quite fancy and festive. I visit Mrs. T's blog regularly, one of my favorite Christmas blogs.
Have all 3 movies.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Really need more menu time per day. Off to figure out how to make Marie Rose sauce. pickled mushroom salsa and Christmas pudding ice cream.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Really need more menu time per day. Off to figure out how to make Marie Rose sauce. pickled mushroom salsa and Christmas pudding ice cream.
Marie Rose is easy - equal parts mayo and ketchup with lemon juice to taste. Amazing with chilled shrimp.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Completely forgot about it! was so busy with at-home work today. I'll have a rudy day this weekend.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Finished this month's book
Did CIJ ornaments
Watched this month's movie
A very good day!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
We watched the movie, made & ate s'mores, and drank hot chocolate with marshmallows. It was a great evening.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My Rudy day was a little sad with all the current happenings. Need to get my head back into the game and celebrate Rudy Day in some way.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Spent most of the day being available to help my husband do the taxes. I did spend a little time working on my tree skirt, listening to Christmas music and drinking some peppermint bark coffee.
We didn’t watch the Santa clause but we did watch a home improvement Christmas episode.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Spent most of the day being available to help my husband do the taxes. I did spend a little time working on my tree skirt, listening to Christmas music and drinking some peppermint bark coffee.
We didn’t watch the Santa clause but we did watch a home improvement Christmas episode.
Is that the one where Jill dresses the boys up as elves and they thought they were going to be Elvis? I howled with laughter!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I totally missed Rudy Day! :(

That Home Improvement episode sounds worth a watch!!!

Going to try and work on crafts this weekend! I've done a little here and there, not much.