Candy - Cookie - Dessert Recipes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Tammy737

MHH Member
Jul 22, 2008
Another simple recipe from my fiancee's family. It really couldn't be any easier and believe me it is sooooo delicous. We also have this one every holiday and sometimes just any day of the year.

Dump it cake-

Ingredients:

1 box duncan hines yellow cake mix
1 can(20 oz)crushed pineapple in syrup(undrained)
1 can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup butter, thinly sliced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2 inch casserole dish. Dump undrained pineapple into pan-spread evenly. Dump in pie filling-spread evenly. Dump in DRY cake mix-spread evenly. Distribute butter slice on top. Bake for 48-53 minutes. You will not believe how delicious this is. I usually wind up having this for breakfast too the next day if there are any leftovers. What a nutricious breakfast, LOL.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy737

MHH Member
Jul 22, 2008
Now a recipe from my childhood. I am sure everyone has made these ones before but I am going to post it anyway.

Peanut butter cookies-

Ingredients:

3/4 cup peanut butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 cups bisquick
1 package hershey kisses

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together, except for the hershey kisses. Roll into balls. When I make them I can usually get about 52 or so out of them. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes. As soon as they come out of the oven place a hershey kiss on top of each ball and it will flatten the cookie out. Eat and enjoy.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze

Serves 18
Ingredients

⅓ cups Water
1 can Pureed Pumpkin (15 Oz)
2 whole Eggs
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 box Yellow Cake Mix (18 Ounce Box)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Brown Sugar, Divided
½ cups Flour
4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
¼ cups Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ cups Heavy Whipping Cream

Preparation Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a large bowl mix together the water, pumpkin, eggs, 1 Tablespoon of vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Add the cake mix and baking soda and mix until just combined.

Grease a 9×13 pan with butter and pour batter into pan.

In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and melted butter. Use your fingers to sprinkle over the top of the cake. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

For the glaze, combine the other 1/2 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved.

When cake is finished baking, poke holes in the top with a toothpick. Pour glaze over the cake, making sure to cover all surfaces. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
A wonderful sites for freezing guides to cookies, pies, muffins, cakes......

A fabulous site filled with freezing instructions and tips to definitely print out and add to the holiday cooking section of your notebooks. This allows most deserts to be prepared 1-3 months ahead and even longer I would think now that we have vacuum sealers. As a matter of fact I think one week in September would be a perfect baking week to cover Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/cooking-tips/chartsguides/freezingbakedgoods.aspx

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
White Fruit Cake

2/3 pound of margarine, softened (I don't know how much that translates into in sticks. My grandmother always bought the solid 1 pound block of it and cut off 2/3 of it! :))
2 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs
2 cups flour
1 pound candied cherries
1 pound candied pineapple
1 pound golden raisins
1 pound pecans
2 ounces lemon extract

Cream together the margarine and sugar. Add eggs; beat until blended. Beat in flour. Add reamining ingredients and stir all together. Line a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil, sprayed with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan. Cover with foil. Bake in a 225 degree oven for 3 1/2 hours. This should be made several weeks ahead and stored in the refrigerator for the flavors to marry. It can be kept in the refrigerator for several months. We serve what's left over from Thanksgiving at Christmas.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 unfilled pie crust, baked
1 pint strawberries, sliced plus 1/4 cup sugar - set aside

In a medium boiler, combine:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
Cook stirring constantly over medium high heat until opaque and thickened.

Remove from fire and add:
1 small box strawberry jello, minus 1 Tablespoon
Stir until Jello dissolves
Add sliced strawberries; pour into baked pie crust.

Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Whip 1 cup heavy whipping cream plus 1/4 cup sugar. Top pie with cream before serving.
(or you can use Cool Whip, but it won't be as good!)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Fresh Apple Cake

1 cup cooking oil (This can be reduced by using 1/2 cup of oil plus 1/2 cup applesauce.)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped dates (optional)
2 cups chopped pecans
3 cups chopped fresh apples, peeled
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix sugar and oil. Beat at high speed for one minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and dates. Add all to sugar mixture. Blend well.
Fold in pecans, apples, and vanilla. (This works best using a wooden spoon.)
NOTE: This is a very stiff mixture, but the juice that cooks out of the apples thins it as it bakes.
Grease and flour a tube pan or Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1-1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan 15 minutes. This is an un-iced cake.

If you try this, you will think there is no way this will work because the batter is so stiff when you put it in the pan, but this is one of the best cakes you will ever eat.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Homemade Girl Scout Cookies-Easy

Easy Peasy Recipe for GS Thin Mints

Take the filling out of one package of Oreos.
Melt one block of chocolate almond bark.
Stir into the melted chocolate 1 to 2 teaspoons of mint extract.
Dip in cookies and place on wax paper.
Try to let them cool before eating. lol

I use Glutino Chocolate Vanilla Creme gluten free cookies.
I think at Christmas they would be nice looking with a dusting
of crushed candy canes.

I have tried them using coffee extract instead of mint.
Does not work since the coffee extract contains water and seized up the chocolate.

Ashley_Cont

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2014
www.choppingblocks.com
Now a recipe from my childhood. I am sure everyone has made these ones before but I am going to post it anyway.
Peanut butter cookies-
Ingredients:
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 cups bisquick
1 package hershey kisses
This is really a taste from childhood. It reminded me how it was delicious at that time. :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Lemony Snicketts

These a fun little lemon cookies that look very pretty on a platter. I always get asked for the recipe! They work well for both summertime gatherings (I usually make a large batch of Oatmeal Choc Chip to go along too) or as additions to holiday cookie platters!

Lemony Snicketts

4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon zest
15 oz Ricotta cheese

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 T lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
Sprinkles, Multi Colored or to match holiday theme

1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar on med speed until creamy, then beat in eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and ricotta until blended
2. Add flour mixture and beat until combined. Cover and chill at least an hour.
3. Shape dough into balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
4. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool for about 1 minute then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
5. While they cool, make glaze – stir powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle over each cookie – add sprinkles. Let stand until hardened.

Yield: 72 Cookies

Note: Cool cookies thoroughly or frosting won’t harden properly.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Vanilla Dipped Gingersnaps

These are nice soft little cookies that get that extra something from the white chocolate dipping - I make the little balls of dough ahead and freeze, rolled in the sugar already. Then I just bake and dip as needed...

Vanilla Dipped Gingersnaps

2 c sugar
1.5 cup oil
2 eggs
½ cup molassess
4 c. flour
4 t baking soda
1 T ground ginger
2 t cinnamon
1 t salt
Additional sugar for coating
2 (12 oz) packages vanilla chips
¼ c shortening

Combine sugar and oil in mixing bowl; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in molasses, Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a sep bowl; gradually blend into molasses mixture. Shape dough into ¾ inch balls and roll in additional sugar; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until cookie springs back lightly when touched. Remove to wire racks to cool. Melt vanilla chips and shortening together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Dip each cookie half way into mixture. Place cookies on wax paper to harden. Makes about 4 dozen.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So here is a special recipe I wanted to share. Discovered this cookie recipe via my husband and MIL and LOVE them!

She uses ground pecans in the filling but I'm sure walnuts would be good too or even a mix. This is a more traditional recipe and I've seen the same recipe name online a lot but I've never found any that exactly match it. I'm sure you could halve the amounts if you didn't want to make such a huge amount. I think I'll be doing that this year!

Kiefflies

Dough:
12 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
6 cups flour
1 lb butter

Filling:
12 eggs whites beaten stiff
1 lb. powdered sugar
3 lbs nuts, ground fine
1 tsp vanilla

Beat egg whites stiff. Mix ground nuts and powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Fold into the egg whites slowly, 1 cup at a time, do not beat.
Have butter soft, but not melted, cut into flour. Beat egg yolks slightly. Add sour cream and blend into flour well. Let stand overnight in the fridge. Form into balls size of a walnut.
Roll out each ball and put one teaspoon of filling on each. Roll up and curve to form a crescent. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until straw colored.
Toss cooled cookies in more powdered sugar.
Baked, cooled cookies can be frozen. Thaw in fridge or on countertop. Toss again with powdered sugar as desired.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is an oldie but goodie! Haven't made these in years but they were a hit! Trotting these back out for 2016!

White Chocolate Peanut and Caramel Candy Cookies

For this recipe, chilling the dough really helps cookies hold a plump shape during baking.

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 cups uncooked regular oats
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 (1.7 oz) packages chocolate covered caramel candies, chilled and chopped (Rolos)
2 (4 oz) white chocolate bars, chopped (Ghirardelli)
1.5 cups unsalted peanuts, chopped

Beat butter at medium speed with mixer until creamy; add sugars, beating well. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until blended.

Process oats in food processor until finely ground. Combine oats, flour, and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in chopped candy, white chocolate and peanuts. Chill dough at least 1 hour.

Shape dough into 1.5” balls, and place on lightly greased cookie sheets or parchment paper lined. Chill briefly. Bake at 375 for 10 – 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks to cook. Yield 5.5 dozen.

NOTE: In my personal experience SILPATS (silcone baking mats) are going to work best to bake on because of the sticky caramel!!! I had a terrible time with that!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So I've been doing a lot of brainstorming about cookies lately! I have several tried and true recipes lined up for this holiday season.

BUT I am really wanting to mix it up some this year and I've just not been finding new recipes that make me excited enough to jump on them. The added concern with a new recipe being what if it doesn't turn out?

My solution - and we'll see if it ends up working - is to play with existing recipes and just mix up the add ins.

One of our favorite cookies - I'm pretty sure I've shared it on this thread - are Chunky Chocolate Gobs. The cookie dough is chocolatety and rich - a little lighter than many cookies because there is both butter and butter flavor shortening in it. The recipe calls for stirring in chopped up Oreos, Mounds candy bars and chocolate chips at the end. I'm going to omit the Oreos and Mounds and stir in a bag of Andes mint bits instead.

I have another recipe called Magic Bar Cookies. There are graham cracker crumbs in the dough itself and then you stir in chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and shredded coconut at the end. I'm going to omit those, stir in white chocolate chips and then incorporate a raspberry element somehow. If I can I'll use raspberry flavored baking chips or candy bar - but I may not be able to find. So failing that, I'll use raspberry seedless preserves and cut some into the dough. I think it will work if I take some of the dough, roll it/shape into a rough flat shape, lightly cut in the preserves and then literally cut it into little squares with a pizza cutter before baking.

Finally, I came up with using a basic chocolate chip cookie dough recipe and adding a Tablespoon or so of finely crushed instant espresso powder to the dough. Then I'll add butterscotch chips at the end. After baking I'll sprinkle them lightly with sea salt.

Am I crazy??? :)

I think I have enough tried and true cookies planned to compensate if these experiments go south! And you never know, I might come up with some winners!!!

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
So I've been doing a lot of brainstorming about cookies lately! I have several tried and true recipes lined up for this holiday season.

BUT I am really wanting to mix it up some this year and I've just not been finding new recipes that make me excited enough to jump on them. The added concern with a new recipe being what if it doesn't turn out?

My solution - and we'll see if it ends up working - is to play with existing recipes and just mix up the add ins.

One of our favorite cookies - I'm pretty sure I've shared it on this thread - are Chunky Chocolate Gobs. The cookie dough is chocolatety and rich - a little lighter than many cookies because there is both butter and butter flavor shortening in it. The recipe calls for stirring in chopped up Oreos, Mounds candy bars and chocolate chips at the end. I'm going to omit the Oreos and Mounds and stir in a bag of Andes mint bits instead.

I have another recipe called Magic Bar Cookies. There are graham cracker crumbs in the dough itself and then you stir in chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and shredded coconut at the end. I'm going to omit those, stir in white chocolate chips and then incorporate a raspberry element somehow. If I can I'll use raspberry flavored baking chips or candy bar - but I may not be able to find. So failing that, I'll use raspberry seedless preserves and cut some into the dough. I think it will work if I take some of the dough, roll it/shape into a rough flat shape, lightly cut in the preserves and then literally cut it into little squares with a pizza cutter before baking.

Finally, I came up with using a basic chocolate chip cookie dough recipe and adding a Tablespoon or so of finely crushed instant espresso powder to the dough. Then I'll add butterscotch chips at the end. After baking I'll sprinkle them lightly with sea salt.

Am I crazy??? :)

I think I have enough tried and true cookies planned to compensate if these experiments go south! And you never know, I might come up with some winners!!!

No you are not crazy. For some of them you can always do a couple trial batch and if possible do 1/ 2 batch instead of a full.

This year instead of traditional snowball cookies I want to do a chocolate mint version. Last year I did the traditional ones and a chocolate chip version ..needless to say the chocolate chip version disappeared a lot quicker.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tried a new cookie recipe out and it's a good one I think:

Browned Butter Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter

• 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar

• 1/4 cup granulated sugar

• 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk

• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

• 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup caramel bits

• 3/4 cup Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks

• Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter starts to foam, begin whisking constantly. When the butter turns brown, fragrant, and you see little brown bits at the bottom of the pan, immediately remove from heat and and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Set aside to cool.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, coffee, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.

3. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until well combined, about 3-5 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low-speed just until combined. Add the caramels and chocolate chunks and stir until just combined.

4. Use a medium (1.5 tbsp) cookie scoop to place dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes until edges just start to turn golden brown. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cool on a wire rack.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I asked LC1 to make those cookies today! Yum

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The browned butter makes them smell SO good! And the dough is really easy to work with - not sticky at all! I'm getting in the MOOD to bake! Hoping to test more recipes soon!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It did smell so good. They turned our really good. They were flat from using gluten free flour. I think some tweeking with either the flour or the butter or both. I have eaten more than my share. I also have salted a few while I was eating them. lol

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tested out a new candy recipe yesterday - Soft & Chewy Caramels! They turned out really good! I made the basic recipe but there are variations for a chocolate version, a gingerbread version and a salted version - all of which I intend to try.

After cutting them into bite size pieces and wrapping wax paper I intend to fill little clear food bags with them, add a pretty tag and use a stocking stuffers for various people, send in boxes I am shipping, etc.

This batch is being given to co-workers though!

Reactions: luludou and Minta