Holiday Clearance Shopping Year Round...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I ran over to Walmart with just the baby last week and got the Frozen Lego castle for $60. It is usually $100. DD4 has been asking for the castles. Any time she gets money she uses it for Lego Disney princess stuff, and for her birthday she asked for the Sleeping Beauty castle. $60 is still expensive, but all the Lego Princess stuff is pricey. They had the $60 Beauty and the Beast castles for $35, but she already has that one. They had stickers for Lego Elves castles that were half price, but the shelves were empty.

There are some really good deals on Lego right now too because they just had their anniversary. Some of the American stores have had great deals. Not so much in Canada though.

Also, if anyone is Canada is looking for some Christmas shirts for kids, Children's Place has most of them for $1.99 with free shipping right now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the mall and finally got the Easter tea towels that I have been looking at. 50% off all Easter today in this particular shop. Also got 2 ceramic bunnies so the 4 items came to $15.00, very happy.
Got DD a sunscreen/nutritive oil reduced from $36.99 to $7.99. It is a French brand that she uses a lot so I was happy to get that for her.

Frosty 1.99 for tee shirts is a great price.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have just learned a lot! Thanks for sharing. Here are a few things that I like to do:

Thrift Stores
I like to check out the thrift shops for some finds too. Some places are better than others. My mom works in one that sets up a great Christmas display in November. She said that they had Christmas gift bags and Christmas wrapping paper at a super price. I didn't get there this past year but I want to this year.

Grocery Outlets
There is a grocery outlet store forty-five minutes from me but rather close to my mother's house. It is a hit or miss kind of place but when it is a hit, oh wow! For instance, we wanted M & M's, Hershey kisses and Rolos for making a candy treat at Christmas. The outlet had the fall colors of the Hershey and Rolo chocolates for $1.00 - $1.50 a bag. The colors didn't matter since we were going to unwrap them.

Our local grocery store has a clearance section that is tucked away in a hard to find spot but we look there year round for items.

Dollar Tree
If you're looking for Christmas items before Christmas, I think the prices at Dollar Tree can't be beat. You'll have a better selection of items if you go before Thanksgiving.

In their holiday section, you'll find cupcake liners, clear goodie bags, holiday themed paper goods, pencils, candy, among other things. I've picked up some cute large gift bags at Dollar Tree the last few years. They also have colored tissue paper. In a pinch, their gift boxes work too. I've sent in their paper plates, napkins and cups to school for various parties over the years. Their plastic table cloths are see-through thin, but again, in a pinch, they will do. I have used their paper lanterns LED lights to decorate outside in the summer. They have tons of Christmas decorations too that might be a nice touch to a wrapped gift.

I like to meander down their craft aisle for inspiration. In the spring, they have birds/butterflies that can be put on a wreath, package, etc. for $1. The other craft stores will charge more than that for a similar item. Jute can be found in the automotive aisle. I also pick up poster board there for any school projects. It gets the job done. :)

Last edited:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great tips, Holiday Mom! I'll have to remember the one about thrift stores! Never thought of that!

Dollar stores are great too! As to the plastic tablecloths, I double them up to avoid the see through phenomenon.

Our only grocery outlet is bread only and they are moving it to a different city, so peeved!!! :(

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm a thrift store fan.. I've found some fun stuff and some NICE stuff. I'm not afraid to give things like that as gifts if they are fitting.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love finding things at the thrift stores too. Sometimes that's the only place you can find the perfect gift.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know I was just thinking about this and made a comment to my husband a couple days ago. My daughter is getting married and there are SOOOO many things I have bought on clearance or at a thrift store that fit our need exactly. He's a good husband..he told me it's because I know good stuff..lol..or maybe I just know my daughters style and it's bleed into my purchases..lol..I just keep pulling stuff out of cabinets for this and that. She's always teased me that I can just pull anything out of my butt when she mentioned something. I'll be like....HOLD ON...I think I have that somewhere!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
What a great thread! I put my holiday clearance items to be used next year on the first page of my gift closet list. That way, I know what I've stashed away.

I bought my holiday china on clearance over two years - there always seems to be one box left over so I bought one set one year and the second set the following year. I've been keeping an eye out for serving pieces to compliment the set but the store has put them on sale before Christmas and people are snapping them up before I can get there. Must try harder next year to get in there earlier.

I pretty much gave up on wrapping paper a few years ago - I buy the beautiful decorative boxes at Michaels when they are on sale and reuse them. They come in all sorts of sizes. I have one roll of wrapping paper that I have used for my nephews for the last two years as they are the only ones that get wrapped gifts.

Reactions: Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela, I have sooo much wrapping paper that I have made a note to really try hard to use it up this year. I find that as the kids are getting older their gifts are getting smaller. No big Lego sets or dolls prams etc. Now seems to be DVD's and jewelry etc. Will try and look for some good boxes soon, Australia Post have great packing boxes at a very reasonable price so I may look there.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just looking back over this thread. What wonderful ideas there are on here.
We are nearing the end of Winter here, still about 6 more weeks until Spring.
Soon the Winter items will go on clearance, time to stock up on cheap gloves, scarves, beanies, bed socks and the like. I will look at sweat shirts and pants that are heavily reduced and buy for next year. I already know that I will need at least one Winter nighty for next year so I have that on my shopping list.
If I see Winter accessories such a candles reduced I will get those now too.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here in the US summer clearance is in full swing - great time to pick up marked down items for gardening themed gift baskets!

Back to school sales are going on too! Good time to replenish home office supplies or pick up things as needed - white glue for crafting projects, fun pencils for stocking stuffers or birthday party treat bags, etc.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
When DH and I went to the Outlet Mall in Jackson last week, I found a set of replica vintage bowls for DD21 marked down for clearance. DD25 and DDIL already have a set that I bought for them two years ago. Now, they all three will have a set!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I picked up some patriotic items on clearance at Walmart and Christmas Tree Shop: condiment containers, baskets, napkins, votive candle holders and a Yankee Candle with an American flag on it. I want to get some more things. I'm just not sure what else. I thought it would be good for an auction basket.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I picked up some patriotic items on clearance at Walmart and Christmas Tree Shop: condiment containers, baskets, napkins, votive candle holders and a Yankee Candle with an American flag on it. I want to get some more things. I'm just not sure what else. I thought it would be good for an auction basket.
Paper plates, cups and plastic table covers in red, blue or white, plastic silver, plastic pitcher and maybe a container of lemonade mix.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Paper plates, cups and plastic table covers in red, blue or white, plastic silver, plastic pitcher and maybe a container of lemonade mix.

Oh, I like that! Thanks!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Picked up some Winter clothes, sox and slippers last week. I always go through my wardrobe at the end of the season, toss out what is no longer good and stock up on things if needed. Found DD BF a lovely scarf reduced to $2.oo
Good time to stock up on gloves, hand and feet warmers, chapstix, scarves etc.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Halloween clearance is up for grabs now! I'll be watching Target for sure but any store you walk into might have some deals to snag!

I buy things for next year as well as keep an eye out for any neutral items that could be used as stocking stuffers - glowsticks is a good one!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, glowsticks are a great thing to pick up now. We use a lot of glowsticks for NYE. I saw Halloween at 50% off yesterday but nothing that I was really interested in. A was looking for a Halloween tea towel to add to my collection but could not find any.