Freezer Sessions 2019...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
:oops: You guys are so kind!

What I really need to do is go through the freezers, pitch old things and reorganize. Relatives have recently given us items them weren't using up and I honestly think this stuff is past the point of use - unfortunately - tried to eat some of the frozen blueberries for example and it was just tasting like the freezer.

These are bags from 2017 - and I was given bags and bags from as far back as 2014 - I think I'm going to just cut the cord on those! I think things last longer in the freezer than "official" info you can google might say but that is pushing it for me.

Sigh.

I got a Reese's PB Cup cheesecake in the freezer this weekend for an upcoming work event.

That's all for the moment!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, I believe that some people think that putting things in the freezer means it can stay there for ever in a state of suspended animation and never spoil. I agree that things can be safe longer than the recommendations but I don't think I would use things from 2014. Better to toss or compost those items.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I too need to rug up, put on some gloves and tidy the outside freezer. Mum and I are doing another freezer session tomorrow so need to rotate things and make sure that there is room for the soups and meals that we will be adding tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Second freezer session done for the year. Have 12 meals in the freezer. Pea and ham soup, beef and mushrooms and chicken pot pie, whole pies and filling.
The freezer looks great and it will be wonderful to know that there are hearty meals that I can just pull out as needed. I have a whole chicken pot pie that will be for tonights dinner, just need to pop it in the oven.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Second freezer session done for the year. Have 12 meals in the freezer. Pea and ham soup, beef and mushrooms and chicken pot pie, whole pies and filling.
The freezer looks great and it will be wonderful to know that there are hearty meals that I can just pull out as needed. I have a whole chicken pot pie that will be for tonights dinner, just need to pop it in the oven.
Do you make large pot pies or smaller ones? Do you make the pastry or buy ready-made? Do you freeze them with the pastry cooked or uncooked so that you can just pull them out and pop them in oven?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Do you make large pot pies or smaller ones? Do you make the pastry or buy ready-made? Do you freeze them with the pastry cooked or uncooked so that you can just pull them out and pop them in oven?
The Chicken pot pie for dinner was a large one, the ones for in the freezer are smaller. I used bought puff pastry sheets and put pastry on the bottom and the top of the pies. I have put them in the freezer uncooked wrapped in foil and in ziploc bags. Because the filling is cooked I just need to heat them through to cook the pastry.
The filling I will use either in vol-au-vent cases or on its own with a few side vegetables such as asparagus. It already contains potato, peas, corn, onion, zucchini and carrot plus the chicken so can be a stand alone meal. (The recipe did not call for zucchini but we had some so added it).
The pie we had was delicious and DH went as far as to say he loved it. High praise indeed.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Praise the Lord for freezer meals! I had two cheesy spaghetti in the freezer, so one went in the oven around 10:30. Checked it about 15 minutes ago, but it wasn't heated all the way through.
I need to make a list of what I want to make and put in the freezer and work on adding that to the grocery list.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mum made some minestrone for me so I have 3 containers in the freezer. With what is in the freezer and tinned soup I think I have enough to get up through the Winter.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Juiced a bag of limes, froze juice in ice cube tray - popped out and into ziplock for longer storage.
Rinds flash frozen then transferred to ziplock for later zesting :)
Double batch of Creamy Beef Taquito Filling
Reese's Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Couple pounds of cooked, shredded chicken

I need to go through freezer to locate all the misc. bags of frozen fruit and get them in one place! I want to start using up anything older in baking recipes - need to make room for this summer's crop!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been working on getting meals together for the week after vacation. That is always a hard week for me. I made up an extra batch each of baked ziti and chicken piccata for two of our meals. I cooked up 8 lbs of ground beef and froze 4 lbs of chicken that were prepared for grilling. It's nice knowing that those meals are in the freezer. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, well done on getting prepared for after vacation.
I have been unwell all week and it has been wonderful to pull something out of the freezers to feed the family.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, well done on getting prepared for after vacation.
I have been unwell all week and it has been wonderful to pull something out of the freezers to feed the family.

I hope you feel better soon! Those freezer meals are a blessing at times like this, aren't they? I like to think of it as being kind to the future you. It's hard work getting it into the freezer but man, when you are short on time or not feeling up to cooking a meal, they sure do come in handy!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am cleaning out the kitchen freezer and chest freezer tonight/tomorrow and taking inventory. I think I need to figure out a new way to keep things in them especially the kitchen freezer as that is always such a mess

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well got both the kitchen freezer and the chest freezer cleaned out over the weekend and took inventory. Surprisingly we didn't throw out much and was able to fir things in the chest freezer better which gave us more room. Didn't realize how much chicken breast we had (more then what we thought) and didn't realize how low we were on ground beef. Next time the butcher has ground beef on sale we will be stocking up again. This upcoming weekend I plan on making a large batch of turkey meatballs and batch of chicken parm meatballs.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DH and I put on our gloves and tidied through both freezers over the weekend. Both of the freezers are well stocked and we could live out of them easily for a few weeks. I need to come up with a few more things other than soup for the next freezer session. More potato bake and possibly some cooked mince would be handy to have. Will make a note in the planner.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Glad I'm not the only one who uses gloves in the freezer.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Glad I'm not the only one who uses gloves in the freezer.
I have to, if I don't I can only last a few minutes. I don't know why my hands are always cold.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I just keep a pair next to each freezer! Saves time! And frostbite!

I have been slowly using up supply of frozen fruit in freezer - need to make some more room since I am going to be making/freezing cheesecakes for my BIL's wedding in August! Gotta get started on those!!!