HGP 2019 - Pantry/Closets

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: PANTRY AND CLOSETS

Pantry: Use same method as for the cabinets. don't forget to wipe down while empty. Try to combine duplicate boxes of things to throw out that which you haven't and probably won't use.

Get Rid Of:

• Old, currently unused items
  • Cans & Bottles of food over 6 months old unless there is a later expiration date
  • Old cracker/cookie boxes probably stale
  • Pans & pots that you don't use, have duplicates of, are in horrible shape, etc.
  • Extra serving dishes (store them elsewhere unless you have lots of room) until needed. Donate if you have not used them in the past six months
HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Start addressing Christmas cards and writing Christmas letter. Involve the whole family. Do not seal cards yet, keep them in a box in alphabetical order, as you think of things that you want to say to them pull out the card and add a note.
  • Find family photo suitable for inclusion with Christmas card.
  • Send invitations for Thanksgiving.
  • Prepare for special needs-extra beds, babies?
  • Buy extra batteries (check gifts).
  • Order turkey.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My Laundry Room/Xtra Stroage Area are on the list this week.
I put up shelves today.
Wednesday and Thursday I will paint a wall and the door. Friday I will organize the mops and cleaning tools to hang along the wall.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have fallen off the wagon here a bit, time to get moving.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have not only fallen off the wagon, I've taken all the wheels off of it too! LOL

What with camping and Halloween I've not had any time to HGP - I am SUPER behind!

At this point I am going to have to review my overall list of what I "wanted" to do and pare it down to what I "have" to do prior to hosting guests in December and just focus on those.

I don't think guests will notice that I didn't dust the shelves in the top of the glasses cabinet, for example. :p

Lists, lists, lists!!! My saving grace and my curse!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Not only did I get the laundry room finished but did get the cupboards cleaned out and organized. I still need to do some other deep cleaning in the kitchen which will happen next week.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have not only fallen off the wagon, I've taken all the wheels off of it too! LOL
LOL, that is how I feel. I started full of excitement to get this all done, but with DH and my holidays, work and life getting busier I have fallen behind. I will sit with my planner and see where I may be able to catch up. I am keen to complete as much as I can.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
LOL, that is how I feel. I started full of excitement to get this all done, but with DH and my holidays, work and life getting busier I have fallen behind. I will sit with my planner and see where I may be able to catch up. I am keen to complete as much as I can.
My HGP is going pretty much the same way - work really interferes with my life ;).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I finally jumped back in and got a few things done! Finished all the windows in the living room including dusting the blinds. Cleaned the very large mirror in the hallway. Straightened, dusted, organized the hallway bookshelf. Cleaned out the flower pots on front deck and took down hanging baskets on back deck.

The big job I still need to get to is detail cleaning of the wood floor in living room/dining room/kitchen area. That will be a big job!

I need to finish up the kitchen - mainly top of and inside of fridge - maybe spot cleaning a few other areas, like KitchenAid cabinet, etc.

I am keeping up with my freezer cooking...need to refocus on other holiday tasks!

Got Christmas Cards back out and put with the Christmas postage stamps I ordered - so those are ready to put stamps on.

Am 90% done with assembling 29 Christmas Science Kits for class treat this year. Ended up being short 2 balloons and I didn't have enough craft sticks so I'll get those things on lunch today. Just have to add 1 ballloon and 6 craft sticks to each bag and then close up and staple on tag and those will be DONE! Took forever to print and assemble both the instruction booklets and the science journals but it turned out super cute!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tackled the insanity that was my upstairs area last night - it's a large space divided between crafts and playroom with a bit of office area thrown in! Plus two storage areas - one large room and one smaller.

Everything but the smaller storage room is now under control. It's still a mess and I will need to spend some time on it!

Also realized I need to deep clean the window in Master Bathroom. The whole shower really needs it too - including the high tile ceiling. Will have to figure out how to fit that in!!!

I'll be working 3rd shift for a work project next week which is going to make things absolutely crazy :(

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am sooooo behind on my cleaning. Who knew marching band would take up so much of my time :eek:. As of right now this weekend is the last weekend of Marching band, competitions at least. If the football team wins Friday night then it will be another weekend of marching band for football.
I have Monday off from work and the I took the whole Thanksgiving week off so I am planning on using those extra days off to clean and organize and pray I can get everything done that I want to get done. I think my coffee pot may get in a work out too on those days.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I finished the kitchen today. Even the junk drawer and under the sink. Next time I am at $ Tree I will get a couple of bins that will corral the items under there and some baking supplies in another cupboard. I took that bin for another area.

Tomorrow I will work on some Christmas stuff I want to try and see how it goes and exactly what I may need to purchase yet. If I can I will talk DH into moving furniture and make room for the Christmas tree.