Jumpstart January 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We normally don't do too much around the house in January as it is just too darn hot.
DS decided that he wanted to redo his 3 rooms of the house, bedroom, sun room and bathroom so for January that is what we are working on. We have done his bathroom, that was easy.
Will work on his sun room this coming weekend, give it a good clean, dust all the furniture, put up new curtains and organise all of his things.
The following weekend we will do his bedroom. Remove and sort all clothing, take inventory of what clothes he may need, dust the furniture, and just give it a good going over. We should have it cleaned, organised and made repairs by the end of the month.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That sounds like a good plan, Katrina. For January, I am doing an evaluation of things we own in our basement. The basement is a big storage area with seasonal items, crafts, games, toys, serving ware, linens, towels, and clothes. Last week and part of this week was dealing with Christmas decorations. I'm going through things that I sorted through last year. If I used it, then I'll keep it. If not, it will be donated unless it is sentimental. Then I'll give myself another year of holding on to it. I'm giving myself 20 minutes a day to work on it which makes it a very doable goal for me. I will have to get my dc involved with it over the weekends. Much of their stuff is there too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, we are pretty well organised here after all the hard work that we did last year. I think that one a room a month is a very doable agenda. I have 11 rooms plus the garage to organise. Some rooms like my bathroom and the laundry room will not take the full month.
I also feel that if I can spread the work over the month I am more likely to get DH's help with some of the bigger chores.
With what other things I have on my weekly to do list I cannot see this being a problem at all.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Let me see ... I have 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 hall closets, living room, kitchen, dining room, screen porch, front porch, backyard, and carport. That's 15.

If I combine so I can de-clutter one area a month:

1. Master bedroom and 2 baths
2. Back bedroom and hall closet
3. Son's room and other hall closet
4. Computer office
5. Living room
6. Kitchen and Dining room
7. Screen porch
8. Front porch and carport
9. Backyard

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
jampss, sounds like a plan. A month is a good amount of time for each area. I am also aware that the schedule may get wonky if we have a set back like illness or vacation time etc.

DS and I will start on his sun room tonight so that we have an idea of what he needs in there in the way of storage or organising. Then once we have done that we will do a trip to IKEA and purchase what we need. Seems to make sense to us.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I will print out my list of things to do per room (spring cleaning) and start probably in February with some closets. January is relaxing, planning, updating (gifts, crafts, lists…), crafting, and probably some decluttering.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DS got 1 garbage bag of trash and 1 of donations out of the sun room so far. We have organised the book shelf and it looks good.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Already hit a snag in the January plans. DH is going up to his fathers next weekend to do some cleaning while FIL is in hospital and DH would like some help.
So I have told DS that we will delay his bedroom for the following weekend. Still plenty of time to get it done in January.

Reactions: luludou and jampss

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Already hit a snag in the January plans. DH is going up to his fathers next weekend to do some cleaning while FIL is in hospital and DH would like some help.
So I have told DS that we will delay his bedroom for the following weekend. Still plenty of time to get it done in January.

Giving of your time to family is such a gift. I'm sure that there will be a bit of decluttering going on too.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Giving of your time to family is such a gift. I'm sure that there will be a bit of decluttering going on too.
Mary, if I get the chance there will be a lot of decluttering. I think I will be working in the bathroom which sounds easy enough but we will see.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got a crazy impulse to tackle the basement this weekend and ended up doing it!!! Three 50 gallon size trash bags later....:rolleyes:

Most of that was construction related! I tidied up, rounded up all of DH's tools, stacked paint cans, boxed up leftover supplies, broke down large cardboard boxes and swept. It looks SO much better!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy when I walk through to do laundry - as opposed to stressed/irritated - I'll take it!!!

I also finished tidying the inside of the living room closet - and in the process found several holiday DVDs to take back upstairs!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Tackling our master bedroom and closet. I have a lot of clothes that I have not worn in a long time so time to pull them and let someone else gets some use of them. Our bedroom and closet are cluttered and that makes them feel messy and disorganized which makes me feel disorganized... no more. We always put our bedroom and closet off until last, well this year it's going to the top of the list.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, good plan to start with the bedroom.
My worst room is the kitchen. I need to think about how I want to do this as at the moment the lay out does not work for us. The plastics cupboard is the worst.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will look. It is really a pain

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, good plan to start with the bedroom.
My worst room is the kitchen. I need to think about how I want to do this as at the moment the lay out does not work for us. The plastics cupboard is the worst.

I had that problem too. I threw out most of my plastic containers. I keep my big ones to store cookies in in a different location. I bought new set of Tupperware type containers that stack inside each other and then I bought 2 sets of the glass storage bowls. I rarely use the plastic Tupperware containers anymore so I am thinking of relocating them to a cabinet in the garage.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
1. Master bedroom and 2 baths DONE Yay!! :D

Wow. I just got ‘lost’ on Pinterest looking up plastic storage organization! :eek:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DS and I achieved what we wanted in January. We cleaned and organised his bedroom, bathroom and loungeroom. It looks really good and I think he is pleased with it. Hopefully it will make it easier to keep clean.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I had hoped to get to more decluttering in the basement. Last week and this week have been a wash out with extra things going on here. I will pick up with it in the summer when my dc are done with school. A lot of the stuff left belongs to them.