christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This made me so happy to see this.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Well, you made me smile. :) I would never ever put up a Christmas tree until after Thanksgiving. But here I am trying to add joy to the our shelter in place life. I put up our artificial tree last weekend.:eek: It is now decorated with Easter Eggs, white lights and a white crepe paper streamer garland.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Well, you made me smile. :) I would never ever put up a Christmas tree until after Thanksgiving. But here I am trying to add joy to the our shelter in place life. I put up our artificial tree last weekend.:eek: It is now decorated with Easter Eggs, white lights and a white crepe paper streamer garland.

I bet your tree is beautiful!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, the tree sounds amazing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just tidied my craft cupboard that hold the totes with my gift bags, tags and ribbons. Makes me long for Christmas. I might watch a Christmas movie tonight just because.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Just tidied my craft cupboard that hold the totes with my gift bags, tags and ribbons. Makes me long for Christmas. I might watch a Christmas movie tonight just because.
Sounds like a plan!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think this Christmas is going to look very different. I just don't know how but I think I need to begin adjusting to the idea now.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I think this Christmas is going to look very different. I just don't know how but I think I need to begin adjusting to the idea now.
I think I know what you mean. I find it hard to imagine that one day this is going to be over, it's such a huge part of our lives right now with the news, the daily figures, the precautions, the changing of our every day working/shopping/living life world. It's hard to think about Black Friday crowds, packed malls, Christmas carols playing in the stores, the hustle and bustle of people carrying shopping bags full of gifts, planning family and friends celebrations. It's almost surreal, like the world has stopped and how and when will it get going again?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My mind has shifted to the Christmases of the era of Little House on the Prairie and depression era. It didn’t matter what gifts there were just that family was safe and and together, even it we are still in our own homes. It’s interesting that I was thinking I have lots of fabric and some notion so hopefully I can make some simple gifts. It’s okay, as we can turn our focus to the gift of a baby, the reason we celebrate. I am okay with this.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ

I have been thinking this as well. We go to NYC every other Dec and this the year we are suppose to go however we already decided not to go even if this has virus has cleared out. well before then. I am thinking we will staying home more this year and even second guessing if we will be hosting. We usually host Christmas Eve & Christmas Day dinner along with another family gathering between Christmas and New Years.

We figure more out later in the year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love Jody's idea of "A Little House on the Prairie" type of theme. Simple, foods and family based.

I too have been thinking of how this Christmas will be. I am thinking of simple gifts that I can make here. Things like decorated jars full of lollies, homemade lemonade, homemade gift cards for pedicures etc for when it is safe to go out, IOU's for the recipients favourite cake.
I am hoping that by then the restrictions are lifted enough for us to share a meal together.
Mum and I will still bake, even if it is in separate houses and then drop off goodies at the door.

In my heart I hope that we are back to normal and we can celebrate with our families but I am also planning for things to be different just in case.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This has been on my mind too! It's hard to imagine things being back to "normal"

I fear that until they have a proven, effective vaccine things are going to stay weird for a while.

We'll see! I think what drives me crazy the most is the UNCERTAINTY of it all. Maybe this will all be a bad dream by Christmas - maybe we'll all still be wearing masks and isolating - maybe we'll be somewhere in between.

I'm trying to get myself kick started on crafting the homemade gifts I planned - and trying to stay positive as much as possible.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
This has been on my mind too! It's hard to imagine things being back to "normal"
We'll see! I think what drives me crazy the most is the UNCERTAINTY of it all. Maybe this will all be a bad dream by Christmas - maybe we'll all still be wearing masks and isolating - maybe we'll be somewhere in between.

I have been thinking this too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I'm trying to get myself kick started on crafting the homemade gifts I planned - and trying to stay positive as much as possible.
This is where I am at. I cannot afford to wait and see what happens and be behind. If we are going to have a weird Christmas it will be the best weird Christmas ever.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ugh! My pc crashed while typing out a response.

I think you ladies are onto something here. I think I will plan on the best uncertain and weird Christmas to help me deal with the unknown. I came up with some questions to ask myself and thought I'd share it here. This will give me time to start picking up items after the stay-at-home order is lifted.

If we have a pandemic Christmas, then what do I want to do make it feel like Christmas?
What foods do I want to eat at Christmas?
What special drinks do I want to have at Christmas?
If Christmas activities are cancelled, then what can I do at home to make Christmas special?
Who will be receiving gifts this year?
What gifts will I be giving?

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Love the weird Christmas theme. I do not think this virus is going away fast. It will be in waves and will pick up once people are out and about again. Only way to really stop it would be for everyone to stay home, not even shopping for 3 to 4 weeks after the last person has the flu. Probably not going to happen. This type of disease has happened before and we will adjust.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
If we have a pandemic Christmas, then what do I want to do make it feel like Christmas?
What foods do I want to eat at Christmas?
What special drinks do I want to have at Christmas?
If Christmas activities are cancelled, then what can I do at home to make Christmas special?
Who will be receiving gifts this year?
What gifts will I be giving?

Mary, great questions, this is exactly what I have been pondering.

What foods do I want to eat at Christmas? Of course I want what we normally have but what are suitable alternatives. Can I buy chicken breast when I see them and have those in place of the Turkey we normally have. I will look at Pintrest for ideas.

What special drinks do I want to have at Christmas? Luckily we make do with chilled water, soft drinks and a punch that we traditionally make from ginger ale, Sprite and juice. I think all of these things will be around but if not I have some special cordials here that I will serve with ice and soda water.

I will be looking at YouTube for some Christmas concerts. I will look at NetFlix and download some Christmas movies. I will do some fun things with DD, home manicures or pedis if we are allowed to be together or we will facetime as we do some crafts etc. We will put on some Christmas music and have a virtual dance party.

Who will be receiving gifts this year? I am not changing my list at all. I buy for Mum, DB, DH, DS, DD and DFSIL. I will still "buy" gifts and do stockings for them all. I have done a little online shopping but not much.

What gifts will I be giving? I will be making a lot more gifts, such a jars of lollies, bottles of lemon cordial, jars of herbed breadcrumbs, IOUs for favourite cakes etc. I will make voucher books for services such as "I will unload the dishwasher" " I will watch a movie of your choice".

I know that this will be a very different Christmas but different does not mean bad.