A Trip Down Hoilday Recipes Lane

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Snowbell Ann

MHH Member
Jun 29, 2020
MO
Hi Y'all I thought maybe we could share some recipes that have been passed down though the family that is still a staple at family gatherings

For me it my Nanny's Chicken/Turkey and Dressing, she learned from her mom and then modified it and it has been something that our family says HAS to be on the table at Thanksgiving and Christmas. She has tried to teach to my Mom but my Mom could not learn it. But Nanny has taught it to me. ( Now My Mom jokes that my nanny left a step out when trying to teach her LOL.) it is a VERY simple but good recipe. :)

Recipe:
Cornbread (the cornbread made with self-rising white cornmeal)
saltine crackers
chicken or turkey ( if you want meat in it )
Rubbed sage ( to your taste )
Chicken broth
Water
Salt and Pepper ( to your taste)
and sometimes an onion

Instructions:
mix it all together in a pan and cook it at 400 for about 45 minutes

~ Ashley ~

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We always have to have homemade noodles at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I only make them once a year because they are a pain in the rear. My grandma (on my dad's side) used to make them or dumplings at Thanksgiving and my mom learned and then I learned. It was always a tradition growing up that they would be on the table at the holidays and i've carried that on in my family. I don't really have an exact recipe as it's something you just have to eyeball. It consists of however many eggs you think you'll need, then 1 Tablespoon of water per egg and then for noodles you keep mixing in flour until you get a stiffer dough (add in salt and pepper as well while you're mixing). You'll put the dough out on onto the counter to roll out and then cut your noodles out and cover with a tea towel for a while. In the meantime, I heat chicken broth to a rolling boil and then I drop the noodles in one by one and cook them.

Dumplings are made the same way but you don't make the dough as stiff because you just spoon it into the boiling broth. You don't want the dough runny but it doesn't need to be as stiff as for noodles. See what I mean about eyeballing and not really having a recipe? :D

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We always have to have homemade noodles at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I only make them once a year because they are a pain in the rear. My grandma (on my dad's side) used to make them or dumplings at Thanksgiving and my mom learned and then I learned. It was always a tradition growing up that they would be on the table at the holidays and i've carried that on in my family. I don't really have an exact recipe as it's something you just have to eyeball. It consists of however many eggs you think you'll need, then 1 Tablespoon of water per egg and then for noodles you keep mixing in flour until you get a stiffer dough (add in salt and pepper as well while you're mixing). You'll put the dough out on onto the counter to roll out and then cut your noodles out and cover with a tea towel for a while. In the meantime, I heat chicken broth to a rolling boil and then I drop the noodles in one by one and cook them.

Dumplings are made the same way but you don't make the dough as stiff because you just spoon it into the boiling broth. You don't want the dough runny but it doesn't need to be as stiff as for noodles. See what I mean about eyeballing and not really having a recipe? :D

Love noodles Jess but don't think we've ever had homemade & won't be having them if it's left up to me to fix them. I like easy, simple and good tasting food. It sounds like those only fall under good tasting lol Love dumplins too.. Eyeballing is how I usually cook.

Snowbell Ann

MHH Member
Jun 29, 2020
MO

Yes I see :) it the same way with my nanny's dressing recipe. When she first started teaching me how to make it. I would ask how much of a ingredient then she says "There is not a certain amount." and then percede to tell me to just eyeball it LOL

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Sounds like home! When I was first married I called my mom about making sarma. I was told “a fist full of rice”. I asked how much that was in cup measurements because my fist full didn’t appear to be very much. Mom measured out her fist full, turns out her hands were much bigger than mine.

Chicken soup is tradition in my family at Christmas and Easter dinner. Giant kettles of soup would be on the stove when we arrived at grandmas. My grandma would hand cut her noodles. one year aunt Mary found the noodle cutter machine that cut them the same width. That was a bigger deal than men landing on the moon lol.
My son calls this aunt Mary’s soup because that is where he first had it. A few years ago I decided he needed some type of “recipe” because I am not going to be around for ever. He got a soup kettle, strainer, a bag of fine cut noodles and this recipe for Christmas.

Grandma’s/ Aunt Mary’s chicken soup

For a 7 pound chicken - adjust ingredients according to chicken size. You want a chicken with lots of fat.
3 quarts water
1-2 tablespoons ( actually a soup spoon) almost heaping of salt ( or to taste)
1 1/2 - 2 cups baby carrots
2-3 stalks celery
3 small onions
3-4 small parsley roots with leaves (parsley root is the best! But you can use a hand full of flat leaf tied together) Just scrub the root no need to peel.
Bring to low boil for approx 2 hours or until chicken falls apart. A low boil tends to make a clearer broth. Skim and strain.

Snowbell Ann

MHH Member
Jun 29, 2020
MO
Sounds like home! When I was first married I called my mom about making sarma. I was told “a fist full of rice”. I asked how much that was in cup measurements because my fist full didn’t appear to be very much. Mom measured out her fist full, turns out her hands were much bigger than mine.

Chicken soup is tradition in my family at Christmas and Easter dinner. Giant kettles of soup would be on the stove when we arrived at grandmas. My grandma would hand cut her noodles. one year aunt Mary found the noodle cutter machine that cut them the same width. That was a bigger deal than men landing on the moon lol.
My son calls this aunt Mary’s soup because that is where he first had it. A few years ago I decided he needed some type of “recipe” because I am not going to be around for ever. He got a soup kettle, strainer, a bag of fine cut noodles and this recipe for Christmas.

Grandma’s/ Aunt Mary’s chicken soup

For a 7 pound chicken - adjust ingredients according to chicken size. You want a chicken with lots of fat.
3 quarts water
1-2 tablespoons ( actually a soup spoon) almost heaping of salt ( or to taste)
1 1/2 - 2 cups baby carrots
2-3 stalks celery
3 small onions
3-4 small parsley roots with leaves (parsley root is the best! But you can use a hand full of flat leaf tied together) Just scrub the root no need to peel.
Bring to low boil for approx 2 hours or until chicken falls apart. A low boil tends to make a clearer broth. Skim and strain.

Myron's Mom Yum! That sound good!

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ah, so many family favorites from my DMom! We don't spend Thanksgiving and Christmas at home much any more, as it's easier for us to travel to visit DDs and families than for them to come "home". I try to incorporate some of our special holiday recipes when they come for their summer visits, though. The cookies and salads fit in especially well.

Most of our favorite recipes can be found on the internet, but here's one that I couldn't find:

Lime-Pear Salad
Makes 6 servings.
  • 2 pkgs (3 oz. each) lime flavored Jell-O
  • 2 ½ cups boiling water
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
  • ½ cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 1 can (1 lb.) pear halves
  • 6 pecan halves, if desired (or walnuts)
Empty 1 pkg. gelatin into medium sized mixing bowl. Add ¾ cup boiling water and stir till gelatin is dissolved. Cool slightly, then stir in milk and lemon juice. (Appearance may look curdled, but does not affect finished salad.)​
Chill until partially set, stirring occasionally to keep gel smooth. Fold in cottage cheese, chopped pecans, celery and mayonnaise, mixing well. Pour into a 9x9x2 inch square pan. Chill until set.​
Meanwhile, dissolve other package of gelatin in 1 ¾ cup boiling water. Set aside to cool.​
Drain pear halves thoroughly. Arrange pear halves, cut side up on top of cottage cheese layer when set, so there will be a pear half for each serving. Or pear halves may be sliced and arranged over top of cottage cheese layer.​
When clear lime gelatin is the consistency of unbeaten egg white, ladle over pears and first layer.​
Chill until set, about 2-3 hours. When ready to serve, garnish each serving with a pecan half, if desired.​

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My mom learned how to make the (onion, celery and sage) stuffing from my grandmom and a great aunt. She taught me how to make it years ago and my DD wants me to teach her how to make it.

The day before cut up 1 to 2 loaves of white bread, 1/2 to a full loaf of rye bread and spread out on cookie sheets to let it dry out. In the morning in a large skillet melt 1/2 stick of butter and add in 1 to 1/2 stalks of celery diced up including the leaves and 1 large onion diced up. Sautee and add in small amount of chicken or turkey stock/broth. Sprinkle on a generous amount of ground sage. Once the veggies are semi soft turn off heat. In a large bowl or pot add the dry bread and pour in the celery/onion mixture. Add broth/stock until moist but not soaking wet. Sprinkle on more ground sage.

We usually stuff the turkey with the stuffing and place the rest of the stuffing into a casserole dish.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Many Jewish grandmother recipes are not written down and measurements are based on "throwing things in". The Yiddish work for that is something like "sh*t". And that's how I make my Hanukkah latkes.

However, I will try and make a batch fairly soon so I can share a real recipe here.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Many Jewish grandmother recipes are not written down and measurements are based on "throwing things in". The Yiddish work for that is something like "sh*t". And that's how I make my Hanukkah latkes.

However, I will try and make a batch fairly soon so I can share a real recipe here.

I would love to know how to make those!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I don't have any recipes that have been passed down through the generations. Growing up, my family didn't eat Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner at our house. We had to travel to see our aunts, uncles, and grandparents on those days. Back then, driving an hour to our house was a hassle no one wanted.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My mom learned how to make the (onion, celery and sage) stuffing from my grandmom and a great aunt. She taught me how to make it years ago and my DD wants me to teach her how to make it.

The day before cut up 1 to 2 loaves of white bread, 1/2 to a full loaf of rye bread and spread out on cookie sheets to let it dry out. In the morning in a large skillet melt 1/2 stick of butter and add in 1 to 1/2 stalks of celery diced up including the leaves and 1 large onion diced up. Sautee and add in small amount of chicken or turkey stock/broth. Sprinkle on a generous amount of ground sage. Once the veggies are semi soft turn off heat. In a large bowl or pot add the dry bread and pour in the celery/onion mixture. Add broth/stock until moist but not soaking wet. Sprinkle on more ground sage.

We usually stuff the turkey with the stuffing and place the rest of the stuffing into a casserole dish.
This is just about the same recipe my aunt used. She always added Jimmy Dean's original sausage.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The recipe that comes to mind would be the Kieflees recipe that has come down through DH's family. Definitely considered a must every year for the holidays!

Kiefflies (Kiflis? KEEF-LEES? Who knows how to spell it? Who cares, they taste so good!)

Dough:

12 egg yolks

1 cup sour cream

6 cups flour

1 lb butter

Filling:

12 eggs whites beaten stiff

1 lb. powdered sugar

3 lbs nuts, ground fine

1 tsp vanilla

Beat egg whites stiff. Mix ground nuts and powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Fold into the egg whites slowly, 1 cup at a time, do not beat.

Have butter soft, but not melted, cut into flour. Beat egg yolks slightly. Add sour cream and blend into flour well. Let stand overnight in the fridge. Form into balls size of a walnut.

Roll out each ball and put one teaspoon of filling on each - more or less to taste! (Overfilling will make the dough split as the filling will puff up and expand in the oven.) Roll up and curve to form a crescent. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until straw colored.

Toss cooled cookies in more powdered sugar.

Baked, cooled cookies can be frozen. Thaw in fridge or on countertop. Toss again with powdered sugar as desired.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
The recipe that comes to mind would be the Kieflees recipe that has come down through DH's family. Definitely considered a must every year for the holidays!

Kiefflies (Kiflis? KEEF-LEES? Who knows how to spell it? Who cares, they taste so good!)

Dough:

12 egg yolks

1 cup sour cream

6 cups flour

1 lb butter

Filling:

12 eggs whites beaten stiff

1 lb. powdered sugar

3 lbs nuts, ground fine

1 tsp vanilla

Beat egg whites stiff. Mix ground nuts and powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Fold into the egg whites slowly, 1 cup at a time, do not beat.

Have butter soft, but not melted, cut into flour. Beat egg yolks slightly. Add sour cream and blend into flour well. Let stand overnight in the fridge. Form into balls size of a walnut.

Roll out each ball and put one teaspoon of filling on each - more or less to taste! (Overfilling will make the dough split as the filling will puff up and expand in the oven.) Roll up and curve to form a crescent. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until straw colored.

Toss cooled cookies in more powdered sugar.

Baked, cooled cookies can be frozen. Thaw in fridge or on countertop. Toss again with powdered sugar as desired.

Mom and grandma called them Kifli. Her dough recipe is pretty much the same but also uses yeast. Filling is the same except we use milk instead of egg whites. And yes they will explode if you over fill them, lol. I make them filled with plum butter and peach butter too. My grandma would make tons of them before Christmas. She had these old blue enamel roaster that would be stuffed with them. All of us grand kids would sneak them when we came to visit. Thanks for stirring up some memories!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I know most people don't like it, but we make a white fruit cake every year. It's made in mid-October to let the flavors marry. I know there's more, but can't thing of them right now.