2020 Christmas in July Week 4 July 19-25th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
July 19-24

DIY Ideas
Let have some fun and share some of our Christmas DIY ideas.
Christmas Card - designs, inserts suggestions
Decorating rooms, tree, outdoors etc.
Tablescapes
Food displays, hot chocolate bar, buffet table etc.
Creative gift wrapping ideas.
Pins from your Christmas boards.

CELEBRATE
Saturday July 25 Rudy Day

Watch a Christmas Movie wearing Christmas socks and drinking frozen/hot cocoa.
Read a Christmas book of your choice.
Look at Christmas Blogs and share the link with others.
Make or address or prepare an insert for your Christmas cards.
Read a Christmas Magazine or craft book from the library.
Work on a Christmas gift if making a homemade gift.

Start preparing your Christmas notebook from Organized Christmas-House and Holiday Plan, Holiday Grand Plan, or Christmas Countdown. HHP and HGP plans begins August 30th. Christmas Countdown begins begins October 25th.
Please feel free to share other plans you have for CIJ

Jody
Priorities God, Family, Work.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have frozen hot cocoa mix in the freezer. Will make some today. I have to hunt for my Christmas grocery list. I think it maybe on one of my old computers. Not sure why it is not on the cloud.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
What a great week, and a great Rudolph Day, this is going to be! Good news is that since the Whole 30 will be over, I will really enjoy my cup of hot chocolate!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looking forward to this week. So much CIJ fun.....

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm not much on DIY ideas. I will be watching the thread for some though. Now that I have an older cricut to play with, I want to try my hand at card making, just need to find a holiday cartridge that doesn't cost a fortune. I will definitely be cutting my own gift tags this year.

I'm thinking of trying to plan an impromptu CIJ party for Rudy Day for the kids and I. DH will be working all day. I think we can watch a couple fun Christmas movies, drink hot chocolate (or make the frozen, or both!), I can make some Christmas cookies....and maybe the elves will make an appearance just for the day. I really want to do photo cards this year. I said it last year and never got around to it, so this is the year!! I will start looking for ideas and figure out how early we need to take a photo to get the cards printed and delivered in time to get them out.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
On the front outside of my house near the kitchen double window is a nice space to hang Christmas decor. I didn't have any thing big enough to hang there until.....I saw the hula hoop. I wrapped a green garland around it added a bow and hung it up. It was lightweight and did the job. Made it look more festive.

My Mom has three columns on her porch and last year I created snowmen using plastic tablecloths I got at Dollar Tree. I use sticky back felt for the eyes and regular felt for the nose. Clear packaging tape was use and not visible. I thought I had a picture but must have used mom's iphone.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Those are great ideas Jody! The snowman is so cute!

Reactions: PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
DIY Ideas

Christmas Card - designs, inserts suggestions

Decorating rooms, tree, outdoors etc. - Thinking it may add some fun to things this year to string popcorn garland to add to the tree. Need to review my decor plans otherwise. I know they are saying there will be a potential shortage of Christmas lights - hoping I have enough in house - and working - to get me through the year!!!

One thing I've been debating as something to tackle this year is making a large red felt tree skirt for our main tree. Something like this perhaps:

I would need to order the fabric - I have the pom pom trim - at least I "think" I have enough...

Tablescapes - To try and make things more special here at home I will plan on using tablecloths, centerpiece and taper candles in antique glass holders from DH's family. Centerpiece is long low basket filled with faux greenery, berries and LED pillar candles that flicker. Will use either green or red plaid cloth with all white plates, good flatware and clear glasses. Maybe a small present - a tiny one - at each place setting.

Creative gift wrapping ideas - I bough some packs of chalkboard tags from the $1 store - circles and regular tag shapes - going to use white vinyl to do a design on one side and the words "To" and "From" on the backs - then I can write on them in chalk, erase and reuse - if we keep them in house :)

I also am going to create tags using the Cricut along the lines of these...I think they are hilarious!!!

I also want to spend some time practicing making bows with wired ribbon! Have pinned some possible ideas!

How to Make a Bow the SUPER Easy Way

How to Make a Bow Like a Pro

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Yes. Making bows. I have lots of ribbon and can never satisfy myself I will have to check out your pins AJ.

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The pins just took me to a general page and not anything specific, not sure why.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
What a fun week! We will be watching Christmas movies all week here (in between
action movies so my husband doesn’t get burned out).

Rudolph day most likely will be spent working on gifts, drinking peppermint bark coffee ( I’ve been saving it till now) and listening to my new Christmas cds I got at the thrift shop’s CIJ sale today. Husband will be teaching so maybe I’ll do some kind of appetizer for that night since he will home too late for dinner.

Wrapping ideas- this year for the first time in ages I can decorate packages. With Myron gone ( I’d trade all the package decorations in the world to have him back.) I don’t have to worry about him eating everything. I have a pile of stuff I’ve been saving that I can use. I’ll have to check out those links.

Ive been trying to repurpose decorations and general stuff instead of buying new. I had round table cloths that we used at work for leadership in December. I repurposed them into a tree skirt for the sunroom tree. I quilted mine but you could easily hand tie knots with fancy thread. Jordan fabrics has a several videos showing finishing projects with out a binding.

Attachments

• AB261EBF-120E-4924-9294-ADF5AE9E37C4.jpeg
    AB261EBF-120E-4924-9294-ADF5AE9E37C4.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 5

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm not real crafty. I do like to find ways to be creative and to re use something. I like to decorate our front porch with candles. Whenever the Yankee Candles or similar style candles have gotten to the end of their burn life, I clean out the jar and reuse them on Christmas Eve. I buy white 3 inch tall pillar candles and put them inside the jar. Some jars are left plain. Some have twine wrapped around them and some have red ribbon wrapped around them. I also use lanterns and votive candle holders in various heights to add dimension.

I've used cardboard boxes, crates, etc for height and draped them with a throw blanket and/or muslin material. The candles get placed on top of the boxes. I group the candles in odd numbers. Then I add pine cones, small pine branches, winter berry, holly and boxwood. These are all growing in our yard. If we have left over pine from cutting the tree down, then I will use that in a different display on a front porch. I also will put sprigs of the greenery in small jars and bottles on the windowsill in the kitchen and in the bathroom.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Jody, I love the glass bottle with candy cane.! I have a bottle very similar. I know what I'll be doing with it this Christmas. :)