Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Speaking of stocking up, this is something I've been thinking about lately but not voiced until now. Lockdown/social distancing is pretty much over in the UK (it hasn't but y'know how people are, it may as well be) and as a result areas have seen a spike and have been shut down. The government are also mentioning a 'pre-second wave, stop eating junk food' initiative. So I'm sat here wondering if there will be price hikes and shortage come September. I'm in the process of writing out pantry lists/meal plans for autumn and winter so will start buying extra each shop.

We also had the signs/announcements about 'normal shopping'. At first I thought the stockpilers were selfish, but i was one that couldn't get to the shops until they were cleared out. The stockpilers were all set and didn't have to leave their homes for a while, whilst I was out a few times a week in lockdown trying to get things to put a meal together. Basically, i can get the sense behind preparing and bulk buying now!
We've had limits on certain items here since the panic-buying and hoarding started in March and left shelves empty. It is good to buy a little extra each time you shop, keeping some non-perishables on hand will serve you well if there is another round of shortages and you'll have a head start on buying for the holidays.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is that Asian Plum Sauce recipe! I made a double batch and ended up with 8 half pint jars! :)

Asian Plum Sauce

Compliments roast pork, meatballs and Asian foods like spring and egg rolls. Use as a dipping sauce for cheese bites and sausage rolls.

9 purple plums, washed and pitted (about 1.5 lbs) - I've used any plum, or even a mix and it turns out great. I also want to try subbing apricots!!!
1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ cup raisins
2 tsp soy sauce
¼ tsp chili powder
⅛ tsp each: cinnamon, ginger and allspice
Optional: ⅛ tsp ground cloves - I omit because I don't care for cloves

Finely chop plums in food processor or by hand. You should have about 1 ¾ cups.

Combine plums, sugar, vinegar and salt in large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add onion, garlic, raisins, soy sauce and all spices. Return to boil, reduce heat, boil gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Fill hot jars to within ½ inch of rim. Process 15 minutes for half pint jars as directed in Ball Blue Canning book for standard water bath canning.

Makes 3 ½ cups.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I wanted to just throw this out there...

I bought this disinfectant concentrate from Sam's Sunday. It makes 68 gallons of disinfectant for just under $7.00. I decided I'm going to use it instead of buying the wipes which are expensive. I mixed and used some last night in the kitchen. I love it. They have several other types of concentrates that can be mixed that I am going to try in the future.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Here is that Asian Plum Sauce recipe! I made a double batch and ended up with 8 half pint jars! :)

Asian Plum Sauce

Compliments roast pork, meatballs and Asian foods like spring and egg rolls. Use as a dipping sauce for cheese bites and sausage rolls.

9 purple plums, washed and pitted (about 1.5 lbs) - I've used any plum, or even a mix and it turns out great. I also want to try subbing apricots!!!
1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ cup raisins
2 tsp soy sauce
¼ tsp chili powder
⅛ tsp each: cinnamon, ginger and allspice
Optional: ⅛ tsp ground cloves - I omit because I don't care for cloves

Finely chop plums in food processor or by hand. You should have about 1 ¾ cups.

Combine plums, sugar, vinegar and salt in large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add onion, garlic, raisins, soy sauce and all spices. Return to boil, reduce heat, boil gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Fill hot jars to within ½ inch of rim. Process 15 minutes for half pint jars as directed in Ball Blue Canning book for standard water bath canning.

Makes 3 ½ cups.

Thanks for sharing! It’s sounds really good. I have everything but the plums. I will be looking for some on Friday!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I wanted to just throw this out there...

I bought this disinfectant concentrate from Sam's Sunday. It makes 68 gallons of disinfectant for just under $7.00. I decided I'm going to use it instead of buying the wipes which are expensive. I mixed and used some last night in the kitchen. I love it. They have several other types of concentrates that can be mixed that I am going to try in the future.

Did you check to see if it's on the list of EPA-approved disinfectants that kill coronavirus?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Did you check to see if it's on the list of EPA-approved disinfectants that kill coronavirus?

It isn't on the list, but if you read closely, the site says it's not an all inclusive list. It also says if a disinfect will kill harder to kill viruses than coronavirus, it is effective against it. This one will kill HIV virus. That validates it for me.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Stopped at the bulk food market after fabric shopping. Have a few more pantry items stocked up. The shelves were pretty well stocked and I was able to get everything on my list. But no plums for plum sauce.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm purchasing more containers so at least I can put the stuff somewhere.

Might be brave next week and go to Costco.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I decided to pick up more toilet paper today. We still have a stock but I wanted to replace what we have used.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I decided to pick up more toilet paper today. We still have a stock but I wanted to replace what we have used.
That's what I'm trying to do now too. Keep a separate stock for a potential shut down and then replace what we use as we finish up the item.

I made up batches of my spice mixes and then went out to replenish those spices. I should be good for the next few months. Flour, sugar, baking powder, yeast, paper towels, toilet paper and meats seem to be back in stock like the old days at Aldi. Walmart had Tide, Cascade, toilet paper and paper towels too. Big bottles of their liquid soap was low in stock as was their brand of hand sanitizer.

The colleges and schools are asking us to send in personal cleaning supplies. The colleges are also asking that the students take their temperatures daily before leaving the dorm room. Finding these items is like finding a needle in a haystack.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
After watching my pickle plants blossom and blossom and then do NOTHING I finally broke down and went to the farmer's market today! Bought enough to make two gallon jars of porch pickles - so excited! They are so much better than store bought!!!

Reactions: teachermomof2

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Holiday Mom....I ordered DS a thermometer for school. He has some masks. I can't find Clorox wipes anywhere....so I'll keep looking. Otherwise it will be some kind of spray cleaner.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Holiday Mom....I ordered DS a thermometer for school. He has some masks. I can't find Clorox wipes anywhere....so I'll keep looking. Otherwise it will be some kind of spray cleaner.
We gave two of ours away back in March to those who had fevers but were using mercury thermometers. We promptly ordered more from Amazon but they were a fly by night operation. Amazon reimbursed me. I was not sure about ordering online again from Amazon. I ordered a couple that looked legit from Amazon. I wanted to test them out. before ordering more. They were not cheap! I'm asking my dc to start taking their temperatures at home so we can get a read on what looks like normal for them on their thermometer before they head off. I will buy more for the rest of my crew now.

Today my dc ran out to Target for some things and they saw the 35 ct. Target brand of disinfecting wipes. It's one per person so they picked up one for each of themselves. I' have not been able to find cleaning sprays anywhere. I did find a huge bottle of the Walmart brand of hand sanitizer for each student. I told them if their room mate has COVID-19 and they run out of the wipes to use the hand sanitizer and a paper towel to wipe down their room. I thought about sending in Clorox but that may be more of a problem than a help.

We have masks but we were just talking about ordering extra masks in case dc can't get to the laundry as often. Right now, we have a basket with used masks next to the washer. Those masks get tossed in with whoever's laundry. Then the clean ones get placed in a different basket in the mud room. This fall will be one for the books!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We are pretty well stocked up on wipes, spray, hand santizer, hand soap and tiolet paper. Buy whenever we see it. At the beginning there was soap everywhere and tiolet was scarce and that was when they were saying wash wash wash but now at times it is pretty empty on shelves.

Jaymee went shopping a couple times here lately and is stocking up on food. Some think that in a couple weeks things will be closing down again. Don't know.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I think we are in pretty good shape here. We can always use wipes, like everyone else we buy if we see them.

I only need a few more items for my shelf stable supplies. Mostly a few after thoughts. I have all my baking supplies except nuts and I’ll get them soon. I’ll be freezing some fruits and veggies as they become available.

In this area canning supplies are depleted. I guess rings and lids are almost impossible to find. I haven’t seen vacuum sealer bags but I haven’t look that hard since I have all we need.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Amelia - I've heard that about canning supplies in other parts of the country. I have a small supply so let me know if I can send you lids and rings. I don't really can, just depend on my freezer.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We can't find jars here. I have a pretty good supply of rings and lids and am almost finished canning. The only canning I have left to do is muscadine jelly. Luckily, I have the jars for that, but will be buying more jars when I see them to have them on hand. I prefer wide mouth. They're like gold here if you can find them.

I seldom go in stores anymore. Do online order and curb side pickup as much as possible, and they won't fill orders for highly sought after items. It's hit and miss for people who go in the store. I suppose I'm going to have to start going in and looking if I'm going to keep our supply of things topped off.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Amelia - I've heard that about canning supplies in other parts of the country. I have a small supply so let me know if I can send you lids and rings. I don't really can, just depend on my freezer.
You are so kind! Thank you for offering. I mostly freeze stuff too any more. I’m thinking I might have just enough out in the big garage ( yuck! Spiders and bugs lol) for what I want to throw in jars. I really need to go check. I bought fruit fresh way earlier this year so I had it for peaches.

Does anyone else feel like the “plan ahead” part of your brain is going to explode??? It seems anything you want to do requires massive planning. I am a planner and detail person by nature but everything is so very complicated. I guess when this is all done I’ll be a much better planner person!