Easter 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I know that we are not even anywhere near Easter 2021 but just a reminder to look out for things now that may be useful for Easter.

The Halloween lollies are everywhere, if anything is on clearance, can you use it in Easter and should you get it now?
Around Christmas, is there any little gifts that would be suitable for Easter? Plates. napkins etc.

I got fleece lined house socks reduced from $12 to $2 so picked up 3 pairs for Mum, DD and I. They will be they first items in the Easter baskets along with some fun sized Mars Bars (on sale now for Halloween). Will add hot choc mix a bit later on.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Laurie, my kids always got new Winter PJs in their basket as Easter is the beginning of Winter for us. They are adults now so no PJs and as they don't like Easter egg chocolate so will get chocolate bars like Mars or Snickers instead.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My thoughts are turning to this year's Easter plans! DS is 11 and is right on the verge - still planning egg hunt and basket as usual though. Will need to brainstorm egg filler ideas as well as what to put in his basket this year!

Planning on normal trip to family about 30 minutes away for Easter dinner. Discussed menu last weekend with them and this year I'll be bringing:
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Shrimp Cocktail
  • PW Mashed Potatoes
  • Make Ahead Butterhorn Rolls
  • Cheesecake, Flavor TBD

Easter cards are made and ready to mail.

Need to give thought to what we will wear.

Want to do a simple hostess gift.

Need to reach out to his teacher now that he is back in school to see if class gifts for holidays are even allowed right now. And then plan accordingly.

Want to do some sort of small gift for his teacher and the aides. I have cute Easter tags I made for last year to use when packaging.

Also want to double check front office staff is still ok with me bringing in baked goods for them and other staff. Was thinking Cinnamon Rolls.

Hoppy Planning! :)

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
No real plans because it's just Sophia and me. It will depend on her schedule whether or not we are together - it's spring break week up here so she may have lessons and/or horse camps during the week. If she can't make it down, I'm thinking of stuffing some plastic eggs with cash and sending up a package of those and some Easter chocolate.

Reactions: Minta

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
We usually visit friends for Easter but this year who knows!

Might just make lamb chops for me and DH.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
DS17 and I actually just set out the spring/Easter decor yesterday. I didn't set out fall/Christmas decor ... my interior decorator moved to VT (DD28 ... LOL). DH and DS never mentioned decorating and I just didn't have the heart or fortitude to drag all the stuff out myself. So. I didn't.

Last month, I decluttered my closet clothes and also ... the decor bins. They are (were) on the top and side shelves in our closet. Well, I went through it and donated a lot ... Minimalism. And I moved the bins into the closet in DD's old room. Very accessible now. Yay. One small bin of spring, one small bin of fall, and 5 small bins of Christmas. I was able to donate more Christmas so I emptied a whole bin and I now have crochet yarn in it in the craft room! Woot!!

Easter will just be DH, DS, and me ... and some food of some sort. We don't have a church home and haven't for awhile as DS's issues curtailed us from being able to get to places.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I plan to get out the Easter decor I have today. I don't have much. I bought one of the cross "wreaths" from Walmart for the front door last week and already have it on the door.

Our church will be making a decision Wednesday night about how we'll do Easter services this year, so we'll wait until after to make decisions about what we'll do that day. Normally, there is a community sunrise service with two other churches that gather with us, followed by a sit-down breakfast at the host church's fellowship hall. Then, our church would have regularly scheduled Sunday school and church. The community service won't be taking place this year.

So, we're up in the air until we know more.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We are not planning anything with extended family this Easter. It'll be just the 7 of us. I'm not sure what we're doing for church. In the past, we did the Easter Vigil. Then two years ago, dh was asked to drum at the 9 am Mass. Music has been limited to a cantor and piano player for social distancing purposes so I'm not sure that they will bring in dh just for Easter. As for meals that day, I'll probably do an casserole for brunch and then ham for dinner.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am hoping that DS will be home at some stage over the Easter weekend. He thinks that he might get the Thursday prior to Good Friday off so that will give him 5 days off. We normally have dinner on Sunday but this year will change it to suit DS.
Menu is in the planning stage but will have something like.

Ham and Turkey
Sweet potato, potato and roast onions.
Peas. corn and carrots.
Gravy,
Pavlova with cream, strawberries and passionfruit
Sparkling apple juice.

Easter baskets are a work in progress but have a few ideas.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I am hoping that DS will be home at some stage over the Easter weekend. He thinks that he might get the Thursday prior to Good Friday off so that will give him 5 days off. We normally have dinner on Sunday but this year will change it to suit DS.
Menu is in the planning stage but will have something like.

Ham and Turkey
Sweet potato, potato and roast onions.
Peas. corn and carrots.
Gravy,
Pavlova with cream, strawberries and passionfruit
Sparkling apple juice.

Easter baskets are a work in progress but have a few ideas.
Katrina, I just looked up Pavlova....that looks really good! Do you make it homemade? I have never made anything with meringue, I bet it is healthier than most desserts.......?

Laurie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina, I just looked up Pavlova....that looks really good! Do you make it homemade? I have never made anything with meringue, I bet it is healthier than most desserts.......?

Laurie
Laurie, no, we buy the Pavlova base premade. We then top with whipped cream, strawberries, passionfruit and shaved chocolate

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I started buying Easter candy for the kids baskets and I picked up a pop head for DD's basket. I will be shopping for more candy and small gifts over the next few weeks for the kids baskets. I am not sure if I will grill steaks or make a ham but I do know that I will be making macaroni salad and deviled eggs. For desserts I will be making a mint cream pie and an apple crisp. It will just be us and maybe DD's boyfriend for dinner.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Homemade - I made a pavlova to celebrate Australia Day and it's really not hard - give it a try!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Reading all these posts about Easter prep makes me think I need to make a schedule so that we can have family celebrations once Vic is back on this side of the Pacific. He'll be home in July, I'll fly with him to Maryland in August to get him settled, and then he'll fly home for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas. I'll fly back there for our anniversary in February, he'll fly home for Easter, and then again in the summer and we'll start the schedule all over again. I need to get busy filling up the travel fund.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Reading all these posts about Easter prep makes me think I need to make a schedule so that we can have family celebrations once Vic is back on this side of the Pacific. He'll be home in July, I'll fly with him to Maryland in August to get him settled, and then he'll fly home for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas. I'll fly back there for our anniversary in February, he'll fly home for Easter, and then again in the summer and we'll start the schedule all over again. I need to get busy filling up the travel fund.
???how long will he be in Maryland? I thought you 2 would be together.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
???how long will he be in Maryland? I thought you 2 would be together.
No, he'll be home from Okinawa for a month this summer but then heads off to a three year tour in Maryland. Back in the continental USA and a direct flight away. Maryland WILL be our last separation!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Oh
No, he'll be home from Okinawa for a month this summer but then heads off to a three year tour in Maryland. Back in the continental USA and a direct flight away. Maryland WILL be our last separation!
Oh my, I think I am as disappointed with this information as you were with Vic not being able to come home for Christmas. Pray time will go quickly once he is on home soil.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Oh
Oh my, I think I am as disappointed with this information as you were with Vic not being able to come home for Christmas. Pray time will go quickly once he is on home soil.
I'm sure it will because we won't have the long stretch of being apart. With his new orders, we can look forward to being together every few months.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just back from the big mall and Easter is everywhere. I was very good and did not buy a thing with the exception of little eggs to put out on the dining room table. I am doing a major declutter and although I was tempted I restrained myself.

Reactions: Minta and jampss