November 2020 Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
November Rudy Day - with a bit of a Hanukkah spin. Hanukkah starts on Thursday, December 10 and continus for 8 days.

Movie- My favorite Christmas movie is Trading Places with Eddie Murphy, Dan Ackroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis (love Jamie Lee Curtis). It takes place during the holiday season.

If you’re more in the mood for a Hallmark movie try Double Holiday which premiered last year. It shows both Christmas and Hanukkah celebrations.

Book – I think it’s time to reread A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens before things get really busy.

Food – dip some Oreos into candy melts, either chocolate or vanilla, and sprinkle them with colored “jimmies” – red and green for Christmas and blue and white for Hanukkah. Give them to friends and family or eat them all yourself!

Make latkes (potato pancakes) – this is a good basic recipe. Shred the potatoes and onion in your food processor and make sure to drain the potatoes before you fry them in the oil. Serve with homemade applesauce. Yum.

Latkes (potato pancakes)

4-5 large potatoes, peeled
1 medium onion
2 eggs
Kosher salt
Pepper
¼ cup matzoh meal
Oil for frying

Grate the potatoes and onions on the large hole of a box grater or do it all in the food processor. Add eggs, salt, pepper and matzoh meal. You’ll notice that water accumulates in the mix as you cook. Make sure you drain the water off before you fry the potato mixture in the oil.

Drop by the tablespoon into hot oil. Use enough oil to almost cover the pancakes and add more as needed

Drain on paper towels. Can be kept warm in the oven.

Serve with homemade or store bought applesauce; some people eat them with sour cream.

For dessert have jelly doughnuts (sufganiyot in Hebrew), the traditional Hanukkah dessert.

Crafts – The Navage Patch is a blog that I have been following. It’s interesting in that it is written by a guy and is kind of snarky.

This is a link to the Christmas Gnomes craft: https://www.thenavagepatch.com/diy-christmas-gnomes/

Their site has a lot of Christmas DIY’s and many of them are made with $ store items.

If you’re into making ornaments I recommend the Ornament Girl at www.theornamentgirl.com. I think this was mentioned in a previous Rudy Day post. I’ve made a few and they're pretty easy.

Also, it's time to finish up your holiday shopping, mail your holiday cards, finalize your menus and start wrappin gifts!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Great links and thanks for the recipes! One of my fondest memories is going to a sleepover at my friend Jennifer's house - we went to the synagogue on Friday night, had delicious latkes afterwards (along with a lot of other food I can't remember), and then lox and bagels in the morning.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
¼ cup matzoh meal
What a wonderful recipe, I am going to try it for sure. Can you explain what matzoh meal is and is there a substitute if I cannot find it here?

So looking forward to reading all the blogs and really getting into the Christmas spirit.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I remember going to a corner Deli in NYC for bagels and lox when I was thirteen. Some mob-y looking guy came over to chat with my aunt and uncle. I have no idea how my aunt and uncle knew him because we lived in Illinois. But it was really cool. I still love bagels and lox. We were in NY for the World’s fair in 1964.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
What a wonderful recipe, I am going to try it for sure. Can you explain what matzoh meal is and is there a substitute if I cannot find it here?

So looking forward to reading all the blogs and really getting into the Christmas spirit.
8A45D71F-9D1B-41A0-8157-14DC52F13E30.jpeg

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Matzoh meal is very finely ground matzoh. In place of matzoh meal some people use flour but I saw a suggestion to use panko instead and that sounds like a better idea.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Matzoh meal is very finely ground matzoh. In place of matzoh meal some people use flour but I saw a suggestion to use panko instead and that sounds like a better idea.
Thank you. I will look for matzoh but think it will be hard to find. Panko is already in the pantry so have that on hand.

Reactions: jampss

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I make mine with gluten free flour. Might try it with gluten free panko.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I might try a few with panko before Hanukkah. They say it gives them a nice crunch.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I remember going to a corner Deli in NYC for bagels and lox when I was thirteen. Some mob-y looking guy came over to chat with my aunt and uncle. I have no idea how my aunt and uncle knew him because we lived in Illinois. But it was really cool. I still love bagels and lox. We were in NY for the World’s fair in 1964.
Found it, Katz Deli, kinda looked like a run down place you would not want to go in on a corner. Knew it as soon as i saw the photo.

Reactions: halimer and jampss