Wise Words for the 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Reactions: jampss and MrsSoup

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
OK, realized I just posted this in the 2020 thread, not 2021. So, here goes again ...

Christmas 2020 was a difficult one, to say the least, and it was not because of me or something I did, but with other loved ones. It was a learning experience, being a mom, for sure.. Because of all that transpired, I've decided that my word for 2021 (my FIRST ever word of the year) will be PRESENT, as in be present in the moment -- pay attention to what is going on around you, listen to what others are saying, listen to understand not to respond . . . So much misunderstanding could be avoided if we just set the iPhones down and truly listened and heard what others were communicating. Perhaps I can be a better role model of this and learn something, too.

Last edited:

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Everyone has chosen such nice words. I had one picked out and felt good about it. Then I felt I need to go in another direction. So...my word for 2021 is Trust. Trust in the Lord, trust things will work out, and trust all will be as it should be. And if I can conquer "Trust," I will focus on my original word Embrace. Embrace the change.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mel, Better was my word a few years back. My motto was "In order to do better I have do do better". It worked for me!
Will be intersted to see how your year pans out.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Over the years dh heard me talk about the word of the year. The other day he asked me what was my word of the year for 2021. I told him and then he told me he was going to do one for 2021. He saw how it has benefitted me. Who knew that others could tell?! :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, what a nice thing for your DH.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Over the years dh heard me talk about the word of the year. The other day he asked me what was my word of the year for 2021. I told him and then he told me he was going to do one for 2021. He saw how it has benefitted me. Who knew that others could tell?! :)
You are a shining example of why we do our Word.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm still thinking on this. I have a list I've made of words I'm considering. I'll let you know when I choose.

Jess, I like what you said about the word changing if needed.

I think if the past year taught us anything, it's how to adapt and be less judgmental of ourselves. I'm praying 2021 will be easier for all of us, and because we've already endured what we have for the last nine months, major changes are behind us. We came through almost all the major holidays of the year making the hard decisions of having smaller gatherings, learning to use social media to reach out to loved ones, learning to shop in safer ways, working from home, becoming more vigilant about safety and sanitation. Many of the things we had to learn to do last year are second nature to us for this new year. Hopefully, our lives will be near normal within the next six to seven months.

Whatever word we choose, we should all be kind to ourselves, pat ourselves (and each other) on the back, and celebrate every little victory.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Whatever word we choose, we should all be kind to ourselves, pat ourselves (and each other) on the back, and celebrate every little victory.
Amen to that.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Amen to that.
I was just going to say the same thing. Jane is so right. We got through celebrations, milestones, and holidays that I wasn't sure I could do in March. Just thinking about it makes me tear up. I think we are all stronger than we thought we were. I also think that we are stronger because of finding the right people to cheer us on or to listen to us struggle as we go through this pandemic. I am so glad that I was able to get on to these forums to process 2020 with everyone here.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, if we were to choose a group word it would have to be either "stronger" or "perseverance". We all did remarkably well.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That's very cool. My daughter also checks in with me yearly.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was brainstorming today and I'm coming here for some help. I realized after being forced into down time in 2020 that I need to be a bit more selfish with my time again. I feel like I give, give, give and because I'm a caregiver I tend to put my needs secondary. Now I know that for woman that is very normal, but I feel in many ways it's gotten to a point where I need to do less for others in order for my mental and physical health to get to a better place. Now here's the tricky part.... The only thing I can think of is SELFISH and that has very negative connotations. I don't want to use self-care because it sounds like I want to focus on health and psychical characteristics. That's not what I'm talking about. I have alot of people around me who have alot of issues and need ALOT of attention. I just don't know that I have it to give at the moment and it means saying no more, not worrying about others as much, and using the energy I do have at the moment to be spent on things that are important to me. Does anyone have any ideas??? I did find this on Pinterest and like the overall concept. I also just looked at my words for the past 10 years and in 2010 I did ME! That's pretty close...

27540faad9c706404a50df28ea5bff05.jpg

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I was brainstorming today and I'm coming here for some help. I realized after being forced into down time in 2020 that I need to be a bit more selfish with my time again. I feel like I give, give, give and because I'm a caregiver I tend to put my needs secondary.
I have noticed to be a major problem for many women especially care givers. Learning to say No or Not now is really difficult. And saying I do not have time until next week is hard until you get use to it. Also if the person has other family members divide the tasks between each person. Those other people can find someone to take their place or help pay for additional caregivers.

Do these these people you are caring for really have no one else to help. Or are people just use to you always stepping forward to help.?

It is easier to say I can you for X amount of time or I can do it for two days and then someone else needs to take a turn.

Also if you have some thing on the calendar for you do not cancel it. You are busy. Even if it is just taking a bath or reading a book or staring at a blank wall.