Gift Closet 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
December - no recipes and they did well without them. I made fajita seasoning and they got their own chicken; I got them spam and seasonings to make musubi, pasta and pesto for another meal and a collection of jams and honey with a fresh baked bread.

Reactions: Lana

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When the kids were younger I purchased a tote for each and then after holidays I would buy different little items for that holiday and put in there. Jaymee took hers when she got married. Ryans still in garage. (maybe it could be some more for Teigans hope chest! LOL!) I included dish towels Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patty, Easter, 4th of July, summer BBQs, Halloween, Thanksgiving and such. Little decorations, Target at their dollar spot had like heart shape plates. Stuff I thought was cute and normally you don't buy alot of that stuff for yourself when first married or your first place. They had alittle stuff and you would buy it for half or more off.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
December - no recipes and they did well without them. I made fajita seasoning and they got their own chicken; I got them spam and seasonings to make musubi, pasta and pesto for another meal and a collection of jams and honey with a fresh baked bread.
This is a great idea. DS like Mexican food and DD likes Asian food. I could do something like this for them.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Over the last few years I have done a gift bag for the kids that I call a Stay up late pack. It is basically a "fun night/weekend" in a bag.
I put a large bottle of coke, bag of skittles or M&M's, packet of savory biscuits or chips, a magazine, a DVD maybe a packet of fun sized Snickers and some microwave popcorn.
My kids have always enjoyed having their own movie night and using the items in the bag for this purpose.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I usually just make a note on my phone, otherwise I run the risk of someone seeing it or losing it.
Good plan. I suppose it depends where you move to but I imagine you will have more shopping options this year than you do on the island.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
No major after Christmas shopping for me either this year. I did get some things at Meijer when I was there for groceries. Also from Joann's when I went for craft supplies. But only one gift, a bath and body type gift set.

Will be working on gathering ideas and getting started on crafted gifts.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I went to the mall to meet DH and got some bargains. One of the dollar shops had their Christmas at 50%off. Got 2 little gift boxes and some really nice velvet and gold decorations so will decide what to do with those. Got some lip scrub and nail files that I will put in a gift pack of body care items for DD.
The DVD shop in the mall is closing down. Last weekend DS told me of a series that he has the first 3 seasons of and he would like the rest. Walked into the DVD shop and seasons 4, 5, 6 and 7 were there as well as the new season of another show he watches. I got each season at 50% off. I was so happy with this. First gift is in the closet.
Sad that the store is closing, it is our go to shop for movies but can order online.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The DVD shop in the mall is closing down.
So many businesses have closed in the last two years (even before Covid hit) that it's becoming more and more difficult to find gifts during casual shopping trips. It looks like more and more of my gift shopping is going to be online. (Sigh)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It looks like more and more of my gift shopping is going to be online. (Sigh)
i have always enjoyed walking shop by shop, having a look at things, thumbing through a book, touching a fabric. You can do none of this online. Sad but I believe that online shopping will be our future.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I wonder how many returns there are because we can’t flip through a book, feel the fabric, check the quality or size? I recently returned an item due to wrong size because the why the description was confusing and not what the search input was...And how many items are not returned...

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Somethings I don’t mind buying online. I have a horrible time with fabric. I bought several yards of ugly fabric that I will never use online this spring trying to stay home and be good. I finally went fabric shopping in person. Shoes are another thing I can’t do. It’s sad brick and mortar stores are being destroyed by online and the virus.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Yes...shoes...cannot buy them without trying on! I have done many returns for various reasons. Think of how much they're making with people not returning, then purchasing something else.

I agree with all of you...the feel of the fabric, the quality of an item, accurate sizing, real color that something is. Do you think more mom and pop/boutique businesses will pop up that cater to small communities, where there aren't large numbers of people, even though the prices may be higher? It's just something I've been thinking about.

One thing I am liking about the online grocery shopping is I can compare prices between the three grocery shopping choices I have.

Sorry, that was all probably too much for the gift closet thread. :eek:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I went to the mall today and was very disappointed, probably won't go back for a few months. Many shops are shut and a lot of shops are fairly empty. Did get a few items to put away.
Found some large Yankee candles so bought one for me and one for Mum for Mother's day in May. Bought DS a candle and got some stocking fillers from the supermarket. Also bought a few items to put in some gift baskets that I am doing.
Will look at some on line sites in the next few weeks and maybe order a few things.

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Our dollar tree finally had some decent stock today. Got a wine pairing book and a cookbook for my son. They had Easter craft supplies so I picked up a few things for my cousin as a no particular reason gift. Found a fancy fleece jacket at kohl’s and a 60 pack of hot/cold cups with lids at the grocery store for my son. He likes the cups with lids but he runs a pretty tight budget so santa always brings him some.

Im eyeing a first edition signed copy of a Tom Clancy book for my son. It’s not the book I really wanted but Clancy died a couple of years ago so signed copies are hard to come by. I think I might just get it. If I find exactly what I want he will have 2 signed editions. I’m sure my son would be happy with any signed edition.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Amelia, the signed books sound like a great gift. I am looking at a gift for my DB 40th in June, something to consider.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I can't really get into the gift closet now but since we didn't see a lot of the people we usually see at the holidays I can mostly give them the gifts I didn't give them last year. Should be a considerable savings.