Freezer Sessions 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Right now I am thinking that I will focus on the following things for hotter weather freezer items:

- Raw meats in various marinades (Oven Chicken Fajita, "Best" Chicken Marinade, "Best" Steak Marinade, probably chicken or steak in an Asian type marinade for stir frys, etc.) - I'd like to find a good option for shrimp and/or scallops as well...also looking for good marinade option to add to a bag with frozen meatballs...
- Cooked, shredded Mexican Chicken for tacos, etc.
- Homemade burger patties, flash frozen (I mix in onion soup mix, pieces of bread, egg, etc.)
- Homemade pizzas (crust par baked, flash frozen then topped, flash frozen again, then wrapped)
- White Chicken Chili
- Marinated Hotdogs (you slice little cuts into each hotdog then put in marinade made of ketchup, Worcestershire, garlic and a bit of oil - really great when grilled!)
- Twice Baked Potatoes (to be heated on the grill)
- "Stuffed" meats - like Chicken Cordon Blue Pinwheels or Italian Flank Steak - so many recipes like this really
- Extra marinades that can be thawed and used on fresh veg before grilling
- Garlic Bread (for grilling)
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos or Banana Peppers (for grilling)

I've been doing some planning around instant pot and/or slow cooker meals for the warmer months - since that avoids using an oven and heating up the house. Not sure yet if there will be anything I can possibly have prepped in the freezer to jump start an instant pot recipe but most likely there will be something along those lines...

Our grill finally died after being nursed along and repaired for 10 years - so we got a new one that is charcoal on one side and propane on the other - excited to use it for a LOT of meals this summer! I've always wanted to try grilling pizza - I think this is the year for it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ this all sounds amazing. Sounds like the new grill will make Summer cooking a lot more pleasant.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
OK AJ I am now officially jealous :)

Its going to be a while before I can my stock my freezers with any premade items as I have no room. Last month a local butcher shop had a special in 1/4 cow so I placed and order. I have never ordered that before and wasn't expected as much meat as we got. That meat order gave my skills at playing tetris a run for my money. It also gave me a chance to clean out and defrost my chest freezer.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
1/4 cow so I placed and order. I have never ordered that before and wasn't expected as much meat as we got. That meat order gave my skills at playing tetris a run for my money. It also gave me a chance to clean out and defrost my chest freezer.
DH and I did this every year. Mom's neighbor raised cattle for sale. Now it takes 2 or more years to get it low enough for a refill. @ $2.25 a pound a great deal!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I would love to be able to get a deal on bulk meat. It just does not happen here that I know of. My freezers are pretty full at the moment, will spend some time over the weekend and tidy them up a little.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I just gathered the meats for taking on vacation. I am getting near the end of my freezer stash.:oops: I didn't realize that I was that low. I know what I will be doing when I return from vacation.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Bumping this thread! It's getting to be that time of year where I start planning menus for the holidays and adding to my freezer cooking list accordingly.

Things will look a little different this year as I have been doing WW for a few months and once DH is recovered from his tonsillectomy he will be joining me. I've got a nice list of WW and freezer friendly recipes already started. Many of them I haven't tried making yet but they will freeze well. Going to try them out, freeze leftovers and make more for the freezer if it's a hit!

- WW Homemade Bolognese Sauce
- WW Classic Lasagna
- Cooked, shredded chicken breast of course
- WW Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Breast (We both love these! I plan to grill up a nice batch just before weather gets too cold/rainy to count on being able to use the grill)
- Chicken in Lightened Version of Oven Chicken Fajita Marinade
- WW Zero Point Taco Soup (Have made this and loved it!)
- WW New England Clam Chowder
- WW White Chicken Chili with Salsa Verde
- WW Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- WW Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- WW Buttery Rolls
- WW Buttermilk Biscuits
- WW Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- WW Cheese Puffs
- WW Banana Bread Sheet Pan Pancakes
- WW Potato Crusted Corn Casserole

I'm going to start now - mainly for the purpose of testing new recipes out!

In addition to the above I will still be making my normal spread of cookies for giving. And at least a few of the appetizer items I can make ahead and freeze for our Christmas party.

So, big surprise for me, altogether it's a BIG list! I'll be going through the freezers to organize, sort and use up anything that has been in there a while! Once I do that there should be plenty of room for more!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My chest freezer is filled with food that I cooked and with fruits and vegetables that my college aged dc use for smoothies. They will be taking some of that stuff with them in a few weeks and my freezer space will open up again.

I think I'll start working on my fall and winter menu plan soon. I've been cooking for 7. This year it will look like I'll be cooking for 4 people. I think I will continue to plan for 7, portion out leftovers for one lunch and then freeze the rest for another night.

I have used Deidra's idea of using color coded cloth bags to store food in the deep freezer. That has been wonderful for me. I have discovered that I need more bags for homemade soup broth and one for soups. I currently have bags for ground beef, chicken, ham, steaks, vegetables and fruits.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
So funny this came up today! I just spent the morning doing pantry, cleaning supply, medicine chest, and freezer inventory. The grocery store is doing x3 perks next week so I’m going to stock up on everything.

My freezers are getting sparse. I have a steak and and a package of ground pork for meat. I’d like to get some corn to freeze and just a few tomatoes. I want to make some peach butter and plum butter ( if I can get the right plums). I’m picking up 10 pounds of tart cherries on Friday(thankfully already pitted).

I pretty much vacuum seal everything except my chicken broth. That I put in plastic containers so I can stack them. I have plastic basins from dollar tree that I use for organizing. They have worked pretty well for me.

My new freezer ( bought last year) isn’t frost free so I need to plan a day to defrost. Not ideal but atleast we found a freezer so I can’t complain.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
My freezer seems full. However, I think if I took everything out and organized it properly it wouldn't be.

Right now I have an overload of good NYC bread and ice cream. I did buy some meats and chicken and food saver them.

I guess I should figure out the organization method before the take everything out.

Suggestions?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think I will continue to plan for 7, portion out leftovers for one lunch and then freeze the rest for another night.
Mary this is a great idea. I like the whole cook once eat twice idea.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I so need to get on board with this. I am still aware of having a pretty stocked freezer so mine are pretty full. I do need to clean it out and start restocking for the Summer. We eat a lot of freezer meals then, items that can be pulled out and heated through so that we are not heating the kitchen. I want to stock up on fruits and veggies as they seem to be in short supply as the transport trucks cannot get through states that are in lockdown.
I have a list of items I want to buy, just need to make space.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I did both my freezers last month and still alot in there. Have to empty them and then I want a list of casseroles for sept, oct and november.... that's when I need them.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, yes, I am needing to stock up for those busy "BER months. I have found freezer meals such a help to have on standby.

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We bought a small freezer. Then, a friend was giving away a side-by-side refrigerator. We got it thinking it would fit in DD24's house to replace her current one, but was too big. We put it in the storage shed. That gave us some more freezer space.

I don't make many freezer meal options, so I make only about four of each kind at a time. We're good with the amount of food we currently have in there. I'm trying to use down so it won't lose quality before it's used.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I guess I should figure out the organization method before the take everything out.

Suggestions?
I love the idea shared on here about using the cloth shopping bags to gather similar items together and keep them from slip sliding all over the place!

You could color code, green bag for chicken, blue for beef, etc.

I always have the best of intentions in the freezer and after a while it all gets jumbled again.

I've debated assigning a HOME to certain items. Chicken on this shelf, left side, beef right side, and so on. So that when it does get messy I know where to put things back so they belong. But I struggle with the dynamic nature of what comes out of and goes into the freezer. Haven't wanted to limit myself but maybe I need to try it in the deep freeze and not worry about it in the fridge freezer?

Another good tip is to freeze flat when you can. So anytime you fill a freezer bag with something that is going to freeze hard into a shape - mashed potatoes, soup, etc. - freeze it flat on a cookie sheet first so it is easier to stack. They STILL slide everywhere but regular flat shapes can be gathered in baskets or the cloth shopping bags a lot easier than things that have frozen all wonky! lol

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
You girls are an inspiration for me. The other night when I made black bean quesadillas, I cooked 2 cups of dried black beans so I could freeze half for later. So now I have those and 1 quart freezer bag of northern white beans.

Laurie

Word for 2021 JOY