Christmas in July - July 17, 2021 - MHH Holiday Cookbook

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Bumping this up!

Since we have some people posting now after a bit of a hiatus - Mel, Frosty, Ellen - this is a reminder to share your favorite holiday recipe to be reprinted/shared in our MHH holiday cookbook.

Pictures would be great too!

Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My favourite Christmas morning breakfast. (or anytime through the year)

Baked French Toast.

1 Loaf crusty French bread
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tabs vanilla
White choc chips
Raspberries

For the topping
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
stick of butter

Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
Tear bread into chunks and place in pan, dot with chocolate chips and the raspberries.
In a bowl mix the eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour over the bread. Cover and store in the fridge overnight.
In a separate bowl mix the flour, brown sugar and spices. Add the butter and mix until the topping resembles breadcrumbs. Store in a ziploc bag.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 180C. Sprinkle topping onto the bread pudding and bake for 45 minutes to one hour (depending on your preference). Serve with extra fresh berries and maple syrup.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This is a favorite side dish from my DMil.

Orange Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients
1 4oz can sweet potatoes
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon butter

Drain sweet potatoes and put in a deep casserole and mash with remaining ingredients.
Cover and place in 350 degree oven for an hour.
Miss JoDee,
One year I made something like this baking them in half an orange that had been juiced. I’ll have to put them on the menu this year.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Is it too late to submit recipes?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Laura- I think we have until the end of August.

Annie

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
It is not too late! On vacation now until after Labor Day so take your time!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did you want more recipes Debbie?

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Our favorite christmas sweet dish recipe and i hope you all love it :)

Luscious Lime Cheesecake

7" loose bottom cake tin or pie dish
300g packet of ginger snap biscuits
300g packet of digestive biscuits
125g butter
250g tub of mascapone cheese
250g tub of ricotta cheese
2 limes
50g icing sugar

melt the butter in a pan or microwave.
crush the biscuits either in a food processor or place in a bag and bash with a rolling pin.
add the butter to the biscuits,mix well and press into the base of the tin.
place in the fridge to cool.
put both tubs of cheese in a bowl and add the grated zest and the juice of the limes.
add the icing sugar and mix well.
spoon the cheese mixture over the cooled base and return to the fridge for 3hrs.
when set,remove from tin and serve.
MMmmmm scrummy!!!!

What i must say peeps please don't be scrimpy with the grated zest of the limes:)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
A favorite appetizer for the holidays, shared by one of my college friends and a favorite among my family and friends ...

Marinated Steak Appetizers

1 piece of steak of your choice. (I prefer to use round steak for this, but have used left-over NY Strip, small filet ... whatever's on sale.)
Teriyaki sauce
1 can sliced water chestnuts
Crescent roll dough (each regular sized tube will make 24 appetizers)

Slice steak into 1 inch cubes to provide enough appetizers for your group. You can freeze any remaining steak for another use. I typically use 1/2 of a round steak. Marinate steak cubes in teriyaki sauce for several hours or overnight, stirring to redistribute the sauce every so often. When ready to assemble, heat oven 375*. Separate crescent rolls into 8 individual triangles, and then cut each triangle into 3 smaller triangles. Drain water chestnuts, and place a water chestnut slice in the center of each small triangle. Top the water chestnut with a piece of marinated steak. Pull each triangle tip up to the center, wrapping the steak piece in the dough. Place pieces on a lightly greased or parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Best served warm.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
This is the punch that I serve at Christmas. Can be at anytime but I first had it at a Home Extension Christmas Party back in early 2000's and have made it ever since. At times I have made it for little parties at work.

Summer Punch
1--3 oz. cherry gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1--46 oz. can pineapple juice unsweetened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups cold water
2 quarts ginger ale chilled

Dissolve gelatin into 1 cup boiling water. Add pineapple juice, sugar, cold water and stir well. Freeze.

Set out about 1 1/2 hours before serving. ( Depending on temperature) Break into chunks (either knife or potato masher) and pour the ginger ale over it.

They say you can use other flavor gelatin but I have only used cherry. We freeze in bags and depending how many bags we adjust the ginger ale. We try to do 1/2 of recipe in a bag so that is half a bottle.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Peanut Butter Fudge

We do 3 or 4 fudges on our Christmas trays but this one is so easy and people love it.

1----- 11 oz. creamy peanut butter
1----- 16 oz. vanilla ready made frosting

Mix ingredients into a microwave container and put in for about 50 seconds. Mix well and pour into your container to set.

Variations--try other flavors of ready made frosting. Chocolate, etc.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Spiced Mixed Nuts

1 egg white lightly beaten
1 teaspoon water
1 jar 8 ounces dry roasted peanuts
1/2 cup unblanched whole almonds
1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

In large bowl, combine egg white and water. Add nuts, toss to coat. Combine sugar and spice, sprinkle over the nuts and toss until coated. Place nuts in single layers on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes. Immediately transfer the nuts to wax paper to cool. Break up large clusters. Store in a covered container.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Snappy Horseradish Dill Pickles
1 jar (32 oz.) whole dill pickles (we buy spears)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup prepared horseradish
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
Drain and discard juice from pickles (or save for a few pickled eggs) Slice pickles--if using whole--and return to jar. Add the horseradish to jar. In saucepan bring the sugar, water and vinegar to a boil. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour over pickles. Cool completely. Cover jar and shake. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Yield: 1 quart

I found this recipe but hubby makes them and eats them along with others.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Divinity Nut Pie
3 egg whites, beaten stiff
1 c. sugar
1 c. finely chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla
23 Ritz crackers, crushed
1 c. whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
1/4 c. Nestle Quik

Beat sugar into egg whites. Fold in nuts, vanilla, and crackers. Pour into a well buttered 10-inch pie pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let cool. Add Nestle Quik to whipped cream. Spread over the pie. Refrigerate over night. This can be doubled to make a 9x13-inch size dessert.

Easiest Cheese Ball
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 single packet Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
Seasoned pepper blend (or your choice of outside covering)

Mix cream cheese and dressing mix. Roll into ball. Coat outside with seasoned pepper blend.

Party Sandwiches (pre-sliders) LOL!
*The original recipe called for Pepperidge Farm pre-baked dinner rolls - the little finger width rolls that came in the foil pans. I haven't been able to find them in our area in years. If you have them, use them. These are the best with those rolls. Directions are written as if using them.
Otherwise, use any pre-baked dinner roll. I cut them in half to make small size sliders, but they can be left full sized.

4 pkgs. Pepperidge Farm rolls
1 pound sliced ham
1 pound thinly sliced baby Swiss cheese
2 sticks butter
1/4 c. Durkee sandwich spread
3 Tbsp. Poppy seeds
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. finely minced onion

Remove rolls from pans. Slice in half horizontally. Remove tops all on one piece. Put bottoms back into pans. Layer first the ham, then the cheese on top of roll bottoms, dividing evenly on all rolls. Place tops back on rolls. With a knife, cut between rolls to cut the meat and cheese, being careful to not puncture the pans. Melt butter in a small pan over low heat; add sandwich spread, poppy seeds, sugar, and onions. Stir to mix until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Spoon over rolls. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.

Other choices of meat and cheese can be used. My family likes turkey with pepper Jack cheese. Also, I bake these in glass pans since I can no longer find the rolls in the foil pans.

Cheese Ball
2 (8 ounce cream cheese)
1 (8 ounce) pkg. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 c. chopped green onion
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper
2 Tbsp. chopped pimento
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
dash cayenne pepper
dash salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c. chopped nuts

Beat cheeses until smooth and creamy. Add in all other ingredients, except nuts, and mix well. Shape into ball. Roll in nuts. This makes one VERY large cheese ball...can be halved...or used to make two smaller cheese balls.

Shrimp Dip
1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
3 green onions, minced
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. dried dill
2 cans canned shrimp (or 1/4 to 1/3 pound fresh boiled, peeled and chopped, if you have it)

Mix all together. Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.

Knorr Spinach Dip
1 (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach, cooked according to pkg. directions and squeezed dry.
16 ounces sour cream
1 c. mayonnaise
1 pkg. Knorr vegetable recipe mix
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
3 green onions, minced

Mix all ingredients. Chill at least 2 hours before serving (overnight is better!).

All dips and cheeseballs are served with crackers and crudites style fresh vegetables.

Wassail
2 sticks cinnamon
1/2 tsp. whole cloves
1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. grated all spice
2 qt. apple cider
2/3 c. lemon juice
2 c. orange juice
1/2 cup white sugar

Make bouquet garni from cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, and all spice. Put juices in large pot. Add bouquet garni. Bring mixture to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat and remove bouquet garni when ready to serve. Serve hot.

Christmas Punch
1/2 small canister pre-sweetened Cherry drink mix (Koolaid)
2 cups water
1 can pineapple juice
1 can apple juice
1 (2 liter) 7-up

Mix everything, except 7-up. Chill until ready to serve (or partially freeze if you prefer a slushy punch). Add 7-up when ready to serve.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My punch recipe is very easy. We have this for Christmas and New Years. the ingredients can be bought now and stored.

Christmas Punch.

1 litre fruit juice (what ever sort you like)
1.25 litres lemonade (Sprite)
1.25 litres dry ginger ale.
Ice cubes made with juice not water.

Add all together in a punch bowl or jug. Serve.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Bread Stuffing.

1/2 loaf stale white bread (crusts removed) torn into chunks.
1 small onion diced
2 tablespoons dried herbs
1-2 eggs.

In a large bowl place the bread, onions and herbs. Add one egg and mix well. If mix is dry add the other egg.
Fill into the cavity of a chicken or into a slit in a beef roast.
Could also be baked in a loaf tin and served as a side.

Reactions: HouseElf

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My Mum has been making this for well over 50 years. It is a staple at our house over Christmas and the Summer. I do not know why it is called mayonnaise!

"Mayonnaise"

1 can condensed milk
dry mustard powder to taste.
brown vinegar.

Pour condensed milk into a bowl. Add a small amount of mustard powder and mix.
Add vinegar a little at a time. Add more mustard and vinegar until it meets your liking.
The mayonnaise will be quite thick and a beautiful light yellow colour.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Easy Fudge

250gram packet of chocolate chip biscuits.
1 can condensed milk
100grams cooking chocolate.

Crush biscuits in a food processor.
Heat the condensed milk and chocolate in a pan over simmering water until melted.
Add to crumbs and mix well.
Press into a lined shallow tin and place in fridge until set.
Cut into squares.