Freezer Sessions 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
You girls are an inspiration for me. The other night when I made black bean quesadillas, I cooked 2 cups of dried black beans so I could freeze half for later. So now I have those and 1 quart freezer bag of northern white beans.

Laurie

Word for 2021 JOY
Oh.. I need to do that. I have a bunch of dried beans on hand. Thanks!!!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well the meat market we use has a 40 lb case of chicken quarter legs on sale for $20 and bone in chicken breast on sale for 99 cent per pound (sold in 10 lb bags) I think I need to make room in my chest freezer LOL . After seeing the prices of chicken lately around here those are great prices so we are going to make a run there this weekend.

I may even debone some too and add in a marinade before freezing.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Made another batch of fat free refried beans in the pressure cooker this weekend - easy peasy since I have an immersion blender to mix it all up after cooking! I portion out into my silicone muffin tins and freeze until hard. Then i popped them out and stored in large Ziploc bag for use as needed!

Still working on finalizing my master list of freezer recipes for the fall!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Still working on finalizing my master list of freezer recipes for the fall!
Still working on meal plans for Spring/Summer.
We are in a 3 week lockdown so I am so grateful for my freezer meals, they will certainly help us out but I will need to restock ASAP.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Lockdown and shortages definitely has made me revaluate how I meal plan and what I feel comfortable with as a backup plan!
Creating a plan on how I can batch cook and prep before the inevitable cost of food increases this winter due to fires, drought and supply shortages. :(

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I only have the freezer in my side-by-side refrigerator, and I'm a household of one. So, freezer space is quite limited. I try to keep meats on hand, portioned and vacuum sealed in single-serving portions, and vegetables that I prefer frozen vs. canned (peas, brussels sprouts). I've been gradually re-organizing my freezer shelves and stocking up where needed. Found some steak that's getting a little long in the freezer, so I'll be making up some of the Steak Appetizers for an evening on the deck, when I don't want a full dinner. Family packs of 80/20 ground beef were on sale last week and I grabbed on and added 6 @ 1/2# packages, and I portioned out a bag of petite peas into single-serve bags. Next up, I need to go thru my frozen Italian and breakfast sausages and chicken.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm currently cooking down in my freezer. I have too many things that have been too long in the freezer, which I hate because it means I'll have to buy higher priced items to replace it. I have noticed I never have much hamburger meat in the freezer, and I use a lot of chuck roast making soups, stews, etc., so need to buy more of those when they're on sale, especially with winter coming.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am dithering between using up what I have in the freezer and saving it in case things get worse and I cannot find items. I have an online order scheduled for delivery for Friday so will see what the freezer looks like after that comes.
I did get some chicken thighs and frozen vegetables when I was at the shops this morning. I will portion the chicken this afternoon.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
This may be old news for most of you, but throwing it out there as a reminder. For those adding ground beef to their freezers. I've found that if I press the meat flat before freezing, my packages stack better and they thaw far more quickly than if I leave them in the store-package "bricks". I buy family pack meats (bulk pricing), and portion into 1/2# bags, pressed flat, before going into the freezer. I can toss a package into the water-filled sink and have it thawed in about 1/2 hour (for meatloaf or making meatballs). Other times, I'll just brown it from frozen.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
This may be old news for most of you, but throwing it out there as a reminder. For those adding ground beef to their freezers. I've found that if I press the meat flat before freezing, my packages stack better and they thaw far more quickly than if I leave them in the store-package "bricks". I buy family pack meats (bulk pricing), and portion into 1/2# bags, pressed flat, before going into the freezer. I can toss a package into the water-filled sink and have it thawed in about 1/2 hour (for meatloaf or making meatballs). Other times, I'll just brown it from frozen.
I freeze my ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, premade taco meat, premade sloppy joes and my homemade chili that way too.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm at a new point in my life. I'm doing a bulk cooking session with my dc who are heading off to college in the next two weekends. They will be in apartments and cooking on their own. They have a package of chicken and ground turkey to cook up. I thought this would be a good way to talk through some tips and then they'll also have a few meals ready when they get back from clinicals and internships.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'm at a new point in my life. I'm doing a bulk cooking session with my dc who are heading off to college in the next two weekends. They will be in apartments and cooking on their own. They have a package of chicken and ground turkey to cook up. I thought this would be a good way to talk through some tips and then they'll also have a few meals ready when they get back from clinicals and internships.
Mary, when my oldest went out on his own for the first time while working and going to college I had prepared a years worth of meals canned for him in jars (soups, gumbo, spaghetti, veggies, cakes, brownies, etc.....) He was spoiled, but at least I knew he was eating well and survived college with great scores and a degree. His favorites was split pea soup and vegetable beef soup in the winter months. I thank God he married a sweet woman who is a great cook.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Mary, when my oldest went out on his own for the first time while working and going to college I had prepared a years worth of meals canned for him in jars (soups, gumbo, spaghetti, veggies, cakes, brownies, etc.....) He was spoiled, but at least I knew he was eating well and survived college with great scores and a degree. His favorites was split pea soup and vegetable beef soup in the winter months. I thank God he married a sweet woman who is a great cook.
Ellen - with a mom as good as you I'm surprised he left home at all;)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ellen, what a wonderful gift for your son.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
press the meat flat
Three little words. Freeze it flat!!!! I do that with everything I can.

Another two important words. Flash Freezing. If anyone is not clear on what that is - shout out and I'll gush about how awesome a trick that is!!!

For those of us either living alone or eating a certain way on our own - consider investing in silicone muffin pans and/or other smaller silicone bakeware - like mini muffin pans. Silicone is a dream to pop frozen items out of for longer storage in a Ziploc bag! For example, I portion my FF refried beans into the muffin cups - put the pan on a cookie sheet to support it - and freeze until hard. Words like a charm!!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Three little words. Freeze it flat!!!! I do that with everything I can.

Another two important words. Flash Freezing. If anyone is not clear on what that is - shout out and I'll gush about how awesome a trick that is!!!

For those of us either living alone or eating a certain way on our own - consider investing in silicone muffin pans and/or other smaller silicone bakeware - like mini muffin pans. Silicone is a dream to pop frozen items out of for longer storage in a Ziploc bag! For example, I portion my FF refried beans into the muffin cups - put the pan on a cookie sheet to support it - and freeze until hard. Words like a charm!!!!
I flash freeze all the time ....

I will have to look into getting some of the those silicone muffin pans. So much I could make and freeze with those. ideas are rolling.. now just need to make the time to do it. Between work, my new side business and DS with marching band I have been running non stop the past few weeks.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just used the silicone stock trays to freeze avocado (which was so cheap here). Worked like a dream.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Flash freezer and flat freezer here too.
My freezers are starting to fill up. I need a few more roasts and some chickens for soup. I’m on the lookout for plums for plum butter. they should be coming the next few weeks. Want to get sweet potatoes to bake and freeze when ever the price comes down.
What are avocados like after they are frozen? I’ve never tried that.
I had a hard time finding frozen onion rings, hash browns and tater tots this month. 4 stores and 3 weeks later I finally found some. I don’t fix a lot of that kind of food but they are nice to have on hand.