Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
One of the items on my "need to stock up on" is bacon. I went to my favorite small, local chain on Sunday, as they had some GREAT sales going on, and they had NO bacon, other than huge bulk packages (10#???), and only 3 or 4 of those. No regular 1# packs of Smithfield, or other brand names, no "store" brand packs. I asked someone stocking the shelves where the lunch meat and hot dogs, and he said the only thing he knew of was the frozen pre-cooked / microwave kind. So, it remains on my list, for when I go to Meijer next. Anyone else having a bacon shortage? They had plenty of other pork products, just no bacon.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We've been buying turkey bacon lately, but I still look for regular thick sliced bacon for several recipes - and yes I haven't had success finding it for several grocery orders now.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
One of the items on my "need to stock up on" is bacon. I went to my favorite small, local chain on Sunday, as they had some GREAT sales going on, and they had NO bacon, other than huge bulk packages (10#???), and only 3 or 4 of those. No regular 1# packs of Smithfield, or other brand names, no "store" brand packs. I asked someone stocking the shelves where the lunch meat and hot dogs, and he said the only thing he knew of was the frozen pre-cooked / microwave kind. So, it remains on my list, for when I go to Meijer next. Anyone else having a bacon shortage? They had plenty of other pork products, just no bacon.
We've been buying turkey bacon lately, but I still look for regular thick sliced bacon for several recipes - and yes I haven't had success finding it for several grocery orders now.

Do you have any Amish markets near you or a pork butcher store? I would check more local shops instead of large box type stores. You might have better luck.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ve seen bacon this week, I didn’t like the price so I did not get it. Thinking I should go ahead and buy it.
I did find almond extract and Lea and perrins finally.
Once we get paid in September I’ll finish pantry/ freezer shopping. Should go ahead and finish up Christmas shopping too I guess.
My husband found the big bottles of laundry sanitizer. He heard in one of the big box stores that they are expecting pretty much everything will be in short supply later this fall.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Do you have any Amish markets near you or a pork butcher store? I would check more local shops instead of large box type stores. You might have better luck.
My local small grocery chain makes their own ground sausage in various flavors -- in bulk and link, and it's known for that. They've always maintained a good selection of bacon and used to sell bacon, similar to the bulk packages, in regular pound size in their meat case and measured to order in their deli. Not now. That's what raised concern for me. They would be my go-to for thick sliced bacon.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cereal seems to be in short supply here, well to honest most staples are in demand. Milk is really hard to find so I have some long life milk in the pantry for emergencies. I am doing on line orders every few days just to make sure that I have what I need as I think our lockdown will be extended. Also changing my menu plan to reflect what I am able to get.

IMO if you see something that you think you may need grab it while you can.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I remember hearing that bacon was going to be an item affected by shortages...we've been buying turkey bacon lately too but I have center cut bacon on my list for my next trip - I'll see what I find I guess!

Powdered milk and/or Evaporated Milk are good options for long term storage if you mean to use it is an ingredient in baking, soups/chowders, sauces, etc. I remember how hard evaporated milk was to find during the last round of panic buying :confused:

Heading to Aldi today to stock up on some things. Then probably Meijer tomorrow. Fingers crossed! I'm still not finished with my master grocery list for the holidays - because we are shifting to WW meals I am not exactly sure what we'll be having yet. Working on testing recipes so I can stock up on non-perishables as needed.

I have gotten several small bottles of pure maple syrup for breakfast themed gift baskets - need a couple more and will get those at Aldi today - hopefully!

So far, knock on wood, Meijer has been pretty well stocked. Paper goods are frequently picked over. Last time I got the very last bag of Baby Bel Cheese - just random things.

The Walmart near us is hit or miss. DH went once recently and there were just a TON of bare shelves everywhere. We wondered if it was truly supply or shortage of staff to restock the shelves or both...sigh

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Yesterday, I ran to West Monroe, sister city to Monroe separated by the Ouachita (pronounced "Wash-uh-taw") River to pay a loan at the credit union. While there, I went to Walmart. The shelves were pretty well stocked of everything, so I'm wondering if the unstocked shelves are due to work force shortages more than to supply.

I haven't noticed a bacon shortage here, but the prices are high and have been for a while. A local grocery store has Wright's on sale this week.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I remember hearing that bacon was going to be an item affected by shortages...we've been buying turkey bacon lately too but I have center cut bacon on my list for my next trip - I'll see what I find I guess!

I have gotten several small bottles of pure maple syrup for breakfast themed gift baskets - need a couple more and will get those at Aldi today - hopefully!
My Aldi had bacon for $4 a pound. They had 6 bottles of maple syrup left. They were $5.29 a bottle. I picked up one. Last year, we couldn't get maple syrup for months so we used warmed jam on our pancakes.

I am waiting for the ginger, nutmeg, cloves, etc. to come out at Aldi. I like making pumpkin pie spice and gingerbread spice mixes. I pour them in an old spice bottle and sprinkle it onto my coffee before it gets brewed.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My Aldi had bacon for $4 a pound. They had 6 bottles of maple syrup left. They were $5.29 a bottle. I picked up one. Last year, we couldn't get maple syrup for months so we used warmed jam on our pancakes.

I am waiting for the ginger, nutmeg, cloves, etc. to come out at Aldi. I like making pumpkin pie spice and gingerbread spice mixes. I pour them in an old spice bottle and sprinkle it onto my coffee before it gets brewed.
Would you share your recipe for making these spices? We also like to make our own up.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin

How much of the spices do you use per cup? I have tried this on multiple occasions and yet it doesn’t taste like pumpkin spice after it’s brewed. Just wondering if I’m not putting on enough spice? TIA ~Laurie

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ve been buying the shelf stable milk at dollar tree. Neither one of us are milk drinkers so I can’t vouch for the taste just to drink. It’s perfect to use in recipes and I’ve used it in my coffee when I’m out of 1/2 n 1/2. And you can’t beat the price.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Would you share your recipe for making these spices? We also like to make our own up.
I will try to post the recipes on Sunday. :) Off the top of my head, I just use the Betty Crocker recipe for gingerbread cookies and pumpkin pie. I add those spices for gingerbread as written and put it into a bowl. I multiply it by how many servings I want. I do the same thing for pumpkin pie. I've seen some stores are selling pumpkin pie spice already made.
How much of the spices do you use per cup? I have tried this on multiple occasions and yet it doesn’t taste like pumpkin spice after it’s brewed. Just wondering if I’m not putting on enough spice? TIA ~Laurie

I make 4 cups of coffee and just put a few shakes on top of the dry grounds before brewing. It gives a hint of something. I just did it last night with decaf coffee and cinnamon. I can't remember how many shakes. Maybe 5? Next time I make it, I'll try to remember to count how many times I shake the bottle. :)

Updated:
It is cool and damp out this morning so I thought I could handle drinking gingerbread coffee. I added 5 shakes from the gingerbread shaker bottle into an empty bowl and measured the amount. It came to about 1/4 teaspoon. I know that amount gives just a hint of something in the coffee.

I measured the grounds and water for 4 cups of coffee and then added 3/4 teaspoon of gingerbread spice to the grounds before brewing. That was a much stronger flavor of gingerbread even after added some half and half.

You'll want to play around with the amounts of spice to put in. I prefer just a hint. But for those who like the Starbucks flavors, the 3/4 teaspoon might fight the bill for you. :) I think I'll be doing a taste test with the family at Thanksgiving to get their preference.

Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Put into shaker. Add a few shakes onto the coffee grounds before brewing.

Gingerbread Spice Mix
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Put into shaker. Add a few shakes onto the coffee grounds before brewing.

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stopped at the grocery store this weekend and I hit the jack pot in the baking aisle. They have a ton of Bob's Red Mill products on clearance for 75% off. Got all kinds of flour, regular, pastry, whole wheat and quinoa and baking powder for cheap. I may grab more when I go back later this week.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Emptied my 'pantry cupboard' and took inventory of the mixes to order any needed items for meal prep; will separate ingredients and group together. Added several items to the foodbank box and made notes of staples that are running low.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Meal prep, checking store catalogues, online shopping is constant here at the moment. It is taking a lot of time and effort to keep the house full of food. Some items are limited and going to the supermarket, while allowed is a chore. Hoping to see things improving very soon but I feel I will be worried about food for a while yet.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Minta, great find!
Bought my wine for Christmas Eve dinner. Apparently there is starting to be a alcohol supply issue. If it’s not one thing it’s another!
Stores finally had the smaller cans of pumpkin so I got those. And I found Gatorade! The shelves have been empty for weeks. I wanted the smaller individual bottles but ended up with the larger ones. I took the last 2 packs. I like to have it on hand for my vertigo episodes and husband sometimes has his blood sugar bottom out.
I haven’t seen limits posted on anything but shelves are on the sparse side.