September Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Due to flooding in our basement, we had to move shelves and in order to do that, we had to move boxes. The boxes went upstairs. I decluttered them on Thursday night before returning them downstairs. I shredded 5 yrs. worth of documents we no longer need. I filled another grocery bag for donations. Three boxes were condensed to one box.

Does filling a dumpster of someone else's muddy items count as my decluttering too? ;) I spent 8 hours on Friday decluttering my brother's auto shop. Today my dd's "shopped" from our basement. Three candles, two pillows, cotton batting and a rug are now gone.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, sorry that you have had some flooding, what a pain.
Looks like you did a great amount of decluttering though, well done.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Okay, I started the closet today and Allen went through his clothes and got 4 trash bags out and a pile for rags or trash and I got about 1 1/2 trash bags out. I also took out 1 pair of shoes, and 2 throws. It was like 5:15 and Goodwill in one town closed at 5 and the other town at 6 so we ran the 6 bags up, shoes, 2 throws and an electric knife too. I still have some to try on but got the majority out. Jaymee took a few of Allens shirts and a couple of mine for sleep shirts and they are out of here too! :) :) :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went through 2 recipe books. Marked 3 or 4 recipes from one book and photocopied them. Both books are now in the donate pile.
will look through all books at some stage in the next few weeks and do the same

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Went through 2 recipe books. Marked 3 or 4 recipes from one book and photocopied them. Both books are now in the donate pile.
will look through all books at some stage in the next few weeks and do the same
That's exactly what I do!

I also have one bag of odds and ends ready to go to the Vietnam Vets.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That's exactly what I do!
Debbie, over the years I am cooking less and less "inventive" meals. I find I am doing much the same things so do not need many new recipes.
Anything I really want to keep is written in my own recipe book.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Twin mattress topper, 1 winter coat, 1 twin bed cover, 4 carry-on bags, 1 yoga bag (zipper broken), 1 seat cushion, 2 empty boxes, 1 sunbrella (broken), 1 mitten dryer rack (broken), 1 magazine.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I called the Washington County Historical Museum and they will take the ledgers that I found in dads loft. My grandpa owned the lumber yard here in town for 30 years then my dad did until like '82 or '83 and sold it. Anyhoo the ledgers are from 1912---mid 1940's. Pretty neat with all the things purchased daily. Names and amounts and how paid. Year end papers and letters on stationary. A big hard bound book for each year. So next day open is 9-18 at 1-4 so will move all those books out. I couldn't throw them away but can't keep all. I might keep the earliest I have and the last year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
2 huge garbage bags of shredded paper are now in the garage ready to be used a compost for when we next go to the farm.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I don't know how many containers we have taken in and dumped into the dumpster. We are taking our weekly trash container (on wheels--furnished by trash company) filling and then dumping. Some stuff throwing over the side but so freaking tall I can't make it lots of the time.

Wine bottles in boxes that Jaymee had for crafts and amazing the stuff I thought I had to have and haven't seen in years---I am letting go. Some will go to a flea market like shop and other stuff my younger sister said she would take. A grandfathers clock that my dad made for my grandparents I asked if she wanted and then some dishes that were grandma Nortons. She was my step grandma--but she considered Kim and I grandkids---she would be Mirandas gma so will give to her and her kids. Win win for everybody!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When we had our dumper Dh was getting ticked that i wanted to be the one to put things in. He had it halfway filled when I rearranged it. All flat things first then i filled in the holes. It was so much less he would come to get me before tossing it in. But ours was not very tall. I could lean in to 3/4 of the way down. It was amazing to have so much crap to toss. Where does it all come from?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I called the Washington County Historical Museum and they will take the ledgers that I found in dads loft. My grandpa owned the lumber yard here in town for 30 years then my dad did until like '82 or '83 and sold it. Anyhoo the ledgers are from 1912---mid 1940's. Pretty neat with all the things purchased daily. Names and amounts and how paid. Year end papers and letters on stationary. A big hard bound book for each year. So next day open is 9-18 at 1-4 so will move all those books out. I couldn't throw them away but can't keep all. I might keep the earliest I have and the last year.
Lana, I would definitely keep the earliest one and last one. Who was it that had a Halloween display with an old ledger last year that they posted on here?? So neat!! It could still be donated later if you decided to. It could even be used at Christmas as part of a Santa display.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I loaded up Dh car with Goodwill boxes(6) after the car was loaded up with cardboard packing material we had plus some old moving boxes. Plus we sold a teak dining room table and chairs that was stepmothers. More room in the garage now.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Okay, Allen took an old TV and 2 old printers to the recycling at the fire station here at Ashley today. He also took 41 annuals (1945- 2011) to the library, pictures from band from old high/grade school and carnival pictures. After '72 just grade school in Ashley. Some annuals were given to people who wanted a certain year. We have the truck loaded and going to take my sister Miranda a grandfathers clock that my dad made my grandparents, china from a gma that I have had since 2008 and maybe used once if that (I have my gma Schubachs china), gingerbread dishes from my gma and a few other dishes, the ledgers are going to the museum, toy going back to a co worker that she gave me for Teigan and now her kid brother is a gpa and some seeds to her then onto Centralia to my sister Kim and will take a cabinet dad made, hens and chicks from Aunt Imogenes, some seeds and will even take her a 5 gallon bucket of apples that Allen picked yesterday. (we have 2 more buckets)

So some leaving but still alot of crap to sort thru YET!!!!