thanksgiving 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I love Thanksgiving, but it has changed so much for us. It gets smaller & smaller. :( That makes me sad.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went shopping for some ingredients for the Thanksgiving food drive. I was surprised to find that some typical things weren't on the shelf or in low quantities. I had to go to 2 grocery stores for the items. I will leave a note in the bags that I had to buy glass jars of gravy because I couldn't find canned turkey gravy at the two grocery stores. I felt so sad to see how the prices have gone up too. How in the world are people in the lower income bracket supposed to feed themselves?! I'll be picking up even more boxed/canned goods for the food cupboards this year. We certainly can forgo our luxury food items...

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I am hosting my parents for Thanksgiving. I have picked up most of my groceries and supplies. I’m trying to come up with a fresh table setting for this year. Its hard to find things, but Christmas has taken over most stores.

I‘m planning Turkey, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, rolls, cranberry sauce and maybe salad. We will have pumpkin pie for dessert, along with pumpkin roll and maybe some pumpkin pizelles.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Since it will just be 5 of us I've asked everyone to pick a dish that they want - aside from turkey, stuffing and squash casserole. So - DH wants creamed peas and onions, DDIL wants sweet potatoes biscuit and DS wants matzoh ball soup?!??

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We are going to DS for Thanksgiving and I will be bringing a few things for side dishes. I believe we will do our Christmas celebration with them too. We did this with mom. We would have Thanksgiving on Thursday and Christmas on Friday. DH working for UPS never got to travel anywhere for Christmas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Since it will just be 5 of us I've asked everyone to pick a dish that they want - aside from turkey, stuffing and squash casserole. So - DH wants creamed peas and onions, DDIL wants sweet potatoes biscuit and DS wants matzoh ball soup?!??
What is your favorite?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Not sure what we will fix. I wouldn’t be doing the cooking. The last few years I haven’t been doing the cooking so Dh made prime rib. We usually have several in the freezer by now. We have none. Not sure we can afford it with the prices of beef now. The store we got our meat has changed hands to a not as nice place.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well so far there will be 13 of us for Thanksgiving this year but that number may go up to 17. Just waiting to hear from SIL if she and her family will be joining us. I picked up a 20 lb turkey the other day and if SIL joins us I may pick up a turkey breast as well
I will be making homemade stuffing and mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, jersey corn I froze from the summer, candied yams, home made rolls and cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and and apple pie. Some of the guest are bringing dishes too: broccoli casserole, deviled eggs and another dessert.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Diedra....is there a local farmer that you could purchase from? I know that many of our local farms are now taking orders for beef and selling it reasonably. We usually have Veal for Christmas and I'm not sure it will be affordable this year.

I'm so thankful that our family raises our beef and we usually only pay for processing, which has also risen in price, but it's still a great savings.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
What is your favorite?
Basically the stuffing and the squash casserole which is why those are non-negotiable. If I were to add another dish it would probably be mac and cheese as I am a starch fanatic. And I love the pecan pie I will be making.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Basically the stuffing and the squash casserole which is why those are non-negotiable. If I were to add another dish it would probably be mac and cheese as I am a starch fanatic. And I love the pecan pie I will be making.
Pecan pie is a must for me too.

• Love
Reactions: jampss and halimer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
this is a great idea, that way everyone gets their favourites.

Reactions: halimer

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Reactions: luludou

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Julianne - I use maple syrup in mine instead of the corn syrup

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
We are doing the Traditional meal.
I always make homemade cranberry sauce. Thought over the weekend, if I see bags of cranberries to grab some.
Didn't see any.....
That made me slightly nervous.

Annie

• Wow
Reactions: jampss and luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
LOL ... I just saw this and NOW I want some PIE!!!!! :eek: :p
Oh dear me. I am trying not to make a pecan pie until closer to Thanksgiving but now I think I should try this recipe with the fluffed egg to be sure it works. I ususally share one ot two pieces of a pecan pie but not much more.

• Love
Reactions: jampss

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We are doing the Traditional meal.
I always make homemade cranberry sauce. Thought over the weekend, if I see bags of cranberries to grab some.
Didn't see any.....
That made me slightly nervous.

Annie
I was at the store today and didn’t see any either. My store was out of all cream cheese. They had a bunch of signs up about it. There was hardly any butter, eggs and 1/2 and 1/2.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Diedra- I made a mistake and bought a Marie Calendar's pecan pie. So bad yet so good! hahahahahah
Myron's Mom- I have also had trouble with 1/2 and 1/2!

Annie

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
DDIL told DS that matzoh ball soup is not appropriate for Thanksgiving!

Now he is considering mashed potatoe.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
DDIL told DS that matzoh ball soup is not appropriate for Thanksgiving!

Now he is considering mashed potatoe.
I think it would be excellent if that is his favorite.