Let's celebrate

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What is next as far as holidays go?
In Australia the next big holiday is Australia Day celebrated on January 26th.
The day is spent as a public holiday. We will have a bbq of sausages or hamburgers, salad, potato salad, beetroot and various other side dishes.
Dessert will be a pavlova topped with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, passionfruit and flaked chocolate and this year we will be having a lamington cake filled with cream and strawberries. Drinks will be cold soft drink, beer and apple cider. We will eat outside and just enjoy the afternoon and into the evening.
It will be the last holiday for us before the kids go back to school in the first week of February. A totally relaxing day!!

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Katrina, that sounds like such a wonderful celebration. It helps that you've got the warm weather -- the opposite from me. January, here, will likely be sub-zero! For me, the next celebration will be St. Patrick's Day in mid-March. My late DH was of Irish descent, and St. Patrick's Day in Chicago is full of celebration -- family get-togethers after a parade, lots of corned beef and cabbage (or for sandwiches), potato dishes, salads, and other treats, along with beer, soft drinks, and Irish coffee. I've moved to a suburban area, where there's no parade. But I still host family and friends, and we put bandanas on the pets and wear our "green" and take the pups for a walk around the neighborhood, greeting those who we pass. I do put a St. Patrick's Day wreath on the door, hang the family banner that I have, and decorate some inside. It's kind of a nice mid-winter celebration that reminds everyone that Spring is just around the corner.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We don't have any January events at all. No New Year's Eve plans (we can't stay up that late anyway); no BDs or anniversaries ... we may not even have a Bowl game we are interested in. That said, I'm planning a kaffee und kuchen (German tradition I've adopted from my German son-in-law) afternoon with friends for sometime in January (date and dessert TBD). We also have two couples friends that we want to rendezvous with. We will try for at least another kaffee und kuchen event for Valentine's Day, and we do have one family BD in February, but she lives too far away to really celebrate with her. She will be turning 6, so we may be able to Zoom for her cake/party. Maybe I'll try to have some party decor up for it.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I will be celebrating NY with my best friend, Christine, and her family in the Phoenix area.

And then my little darling niece will be turning "1" on January 18th so her mom is planning a family get together for that.

That's it for January.

Annie

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, it sounds like your Australia Day will be relaxing. How long are the students out of school before it is Christmas?

Valentine's Day is the next holiday that I decorate for in February. Until then, I'll leave the Christmas decorations that transition into winter decorations hanging up inside and outside. Then it's hearts and red decorations for February.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'll be celebrating the 100th day at school in early February. Then Valentine's Day here at home.

Like @Holiday_Mom , I'll be decorating with winter decorations until Valentine's Day is near.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina, it sounds like your Australia Day will be relaxing. How long are the students out of school before it is Christmas?
Mary, typically the kids finish school the Friday before Christmas and go back the first week in February. The long Summer holidays!!
Each school term lasts 10 weeks so the next break will be April then July and September.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The first few months of the year are busy here, a lot to celebrate.
January is a busy one for us. Besides Australia Day on the 26th I have dear pups birthday on the 28th, DD birthday on the 29th and DSIL and I on the 30th.
February is Valentines Day (not a big holiday here) and DH and my anniversary. This year the date is 22.02.2022 which reads the exact same backwards and forwards. A memorable one.
DH birthday is in March so a lot of birthdays and events happening quite quickly.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina, that sounds like such a wonderful celebration. It helps that you've got the warm weather -- the opposite from me. January, here, will likely be sub-zero! For me, the next celebration will be St. Patrick's Day in mid-March. My late DH was of Irish descent, and St. Patrick's Day in Chicago is full of celebration -- family get-togethers after a parade, lots of corned beef and cabbage (or for sandwiches), potato dishes, salads, and other treats, along with beer, soft drinks, and Irish coffee. I've moved to a suburban area, where there's no parade. But I still host family and friends, and we put bandanas on the pets and wear our "green" and take the pups for a walk around the neighborhood, greeting those who we pass. I do put a St. Patrick's Day wreath on the door, hang the family banner that I have, and decorate some inside. It's kind of a nice mid-winter celebration that reminds everyone that Spring is just around the corner.
Lori, could you post a picture of the family banner? I would love to see what it looks like.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
We do have birthdays ahead, but the next holiday will be Easter.
I will probably buy some candy for the grandkids on Valentine's Day, though.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori, could you post a picture of the family banner? I would love to see what it looks like.
The banners are sold as a fundraiser to support the South Side Irish parade, and are flown on the light poles during the month of March. They are used for 3 seasons and are then offered to the family who purchased it. I purchased one for our family, to honor my husband. I could have had it say "in memory of" but chose one with the family name only. Our banner flew for 2 seasons, and then I asked to have it, since I was moving out of the area. Along with the street banner, you are given a smaller "garden flag" sized one, too. The small one fits perfectly in the glass panel on my china cabinet, so gets hung inside.

Attachments

• SSI Banner.jpg
    SSI Banner.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 9
  • SSI small banner.jpg
    SSI small banner.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, typically the kids finish school the Friday before Christmas and go back the first week in February. The long Summer holidays!!
Each school term lasts 10 weeks so the next break will be April then July and September.
Thanks! I'm always interested in the way other areas of the world handle school vacations.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Lori, we celebrate St. Patricks Day around here too. I'm also of Irish descent, so it's a big deal tradition wise. I also treat it as a memorial day for my family and visit the cemetary to leave green carnation at my Grandpa Sullivan's grave. Since my mom has no formal resting place, I kind of combine it all in one and include her.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I love to find holidays to celebrate! Especially with food.

I will celebrate DH's new hip - hopefully on January 10.

I will celebrate Australia Day with Katrina by making a pavlova.

Lunar New Year is February 1 this year. My DDIL is Chinese so it is a cause for celebration

Next is Super Bowl Sunday, February 13 th. DH and I have no interest in football but will eat the traditional foods either with friends or alone.

The Valentine's Day. I'll decorate and have some chocolate.

Marid Gras is March 1 and time for a Cajun meal.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The banners are sold as a fundraiser to support the South Side Irish parade, and are flown on the light poles during the month of March. They are used for 3 seasons and are then offered to the family who purchased it. I purchased one for our family, to honor my husband. I could have had it say "in memory of" but chose one with the family name only. Our banner flew for 2 seasons, and then I asked to have it, since I was moving out of the area. Along with the street banner, you are given a smaller "garden flag" sized one, too. The small one fits perfectly in the glass panel on my china cabinet, so gets hung inside.
Neat! What a nice way to raise money to support it and to honor the families.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I love to find holidays to celebrate! Especially with food.

I will celebrate DH's new hip - hopefully on January 10.

I will celebrate Australia Day with Katrina by making a pavlova.

Lunar New Year is February 1 this year. My DDIL is Chinese so it is a cause for celebration

Next is Super Bowl Sunday, February 13 th. DH and I have no interest in football but will eat the traditional foods either with friends or alone.

The Valentine's Day. I'll decorate and have some chocolate.

Marid Gras is March 1 and time for a Cajun meal.

I use to do that type of stuff alot more when my daughter was younger. It is fun though to put a reason to celebrate in the calendar. I don't care about footgall either, but consider myself a great wing chef and commercial watcher. haha

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Really, it's that far into February now? It used to be the last weekend of January. I wish it would either be played earlier in the day or they would change the game to be played on President's Day Weekend.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Easter is behind us…..what is next on the holiday calendar?

For is the next big holiday is ANZAC Day on April 25th. This is a very special day for AustralIans. Almost our National Day. if you Google April 25th 1918 it will describe why it is so important to us.
There will be a dawn service for those who wish to attend and then we will get together for commemorative marches. Two Up ( a coin game) is played in pubs. It is illegal every other day except for ANZAC Day. We will get together and enjoy a traditional meal of corned silverside, cabbage, peas and corn and mashed potatoes (we add asparagus and pepper sauce). Dessert will be apple and rhubarb crumble and custard.

I will go and visit my dad at the crematorium and place a poppy and rosemary in remembrance.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Well, Passover will run until Saturday, so, technically, we are still celebrating it.

Next is Mother's Day which is May 8.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have Mother‘s Day on May 8th too.
My Mum’s birthday is May 11th so a couple of nice things to celebrate.
May will be cold here, Winter starts June 1st. I will try and organise a nice lunch here, need to look at a menu. Cob loaf and a warm chicken curry and rice spring to mind.