2022 Healthy Living

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
start journaling daily- this has always been hard for me, but I think it would be beneficial.
* read again- I love reading and i've let work and stress get in the way
* do what makes me happy- again stress from work has gotten in the way
* be in the moments with family- don't worry about work on the weekends or holidays- i've actually gotten pretty good at this. I don't bring work home anymore unless I absolutely have to, which is rare. I've drawn the line... I don't get paid enough to suffer my home life. I get done everything I can at work and leave it there. It's not worth my mental health.
Jess, This week I started to journal in the morning first thing as a way to empty my mind. It's from this book called The Artist's Way. The idea is to fill three sides of paper of stuff that is on your mind. You're not suppose to read over it at this point but just write whatever comes to mind even if it is " What's the point? This is stupid..." LOL! After one week, I will say it has been so worth the hassle and time. It's not a list of things to do nor is it necessarily a list of what I did but more about my feelings. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to do that for you. :)

I've also been there about drawing the line with bringing work home. I was good with that when I taught. You are right, you don't get paid enough. I'm working from home now and I have to make sure that I work within the typical 8 hour shift Monday - Friday. The exception is if home life interferes with work. Then I may have to work afterhours.
I'd be interested in a weekly review thread to re-cap how we think we did in the areas we are working on improving. Each person could choose their own categories. I might use: Exercise; Diet (healthy eating); Weight control; Mental/emotional. Would this be of interest to others? If so, I'd be glad to start it off on Sunday or Monday. Any preference?
Sounds good to me. Whatever day works for you works for me. :)

This week I've gotten out for my walks in the morning and I listened to my spiritual podcasts during those walks. Both walking and listening have blessed my days. 5 days a week is a realistic goal for me. However, I'm totally going to try to get out there as many days out of the week as I can. This week it was 6 days. I walked 15.6 miles in 5 hours and 41 minutes of walking.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Mary ~ Nice work on the walking! Do you have a regular route you take? Do you use an app to track your mileage and time? I use "Runkeeper". It's free unless you want to pay for more bells and whistles, which I don't, yet. You can pick from a wide variety of activities.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OK, for me Christmas and NY is officially over. No more excuses. I had a lovely time over Christmas, and NY, enjoyed some treats, some wonderful meals and some baking. BUT it is time to call it, get back on the wagon and start fresh. If I don't do it now I will be back to where I started and I WILL NOT!

Went for a walk this morning and have planned my meals for the day. I know what I need to do.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary ~ Nice work on the walking! Do you have a regular route you take? Do you use an app to track your mileage and time? I use "Runkeeper". It's free unless you want to pay for more bells and whistles, which I don't, yet. You can pick from a wide variety of activities.
Thanks! I walk the neighborhood. I put in the street addresses that I want to walk to into Google Maps and get the mileage there. I copy and paste the routes I've done into a document and save. I use a watch to track my time from the time I leave to the time I return. I also have a pedometer to track steps that I can convert to miles walked.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Today is my last day to celebrate Christmas and New Year....Back to work tomorrow so time to get back into shape....January is the month we make lots of Homemade soups and cut back on the treats.....Must admit not looking forward to moving on from Christmas its so depressing...But life goes on and so does our health :)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
MrsSoup ~ For meals, do you like to use a slow cooker? I think that would be perfect, and you can do some very simple recipes in it. Add a chop salad which is very quick to fix, and you have a great meal to come home to after work. I season a whole chicken, stick it in the crock pot and cook it on low all day. I don’t add water or anything, just the seasoning salt and sometimes some dried basil. The chicken just falls off the bone so tender and moist. Then there’s plenty of chicken for several meals if it’s just the two of you. Personally, I would prefer a slow cooker to an instant pot, because, quick as an instant pot may be, I don’t feel like cooking anything at dinner time. I just want it to be ready to eat. Are you an archer? I’m impressed. You should still be able to do some weighted upper body work while your foot is healing. There’s also Pilates. What kind of work do you do? Reading is such good escape.

Well, I’m pretty pleased with myself that I’ve gotten in some form of exercise every day this year so far. Today, DH and I plan to take a walk. Hopefully it will be a brisk one. I plan to go about 3 miles.
I do like to use a slow cooker, but it's hard finding recipes for my picky eaters. However, i'm about over it and if they don't like what's cooked they can make themselves something else. DH and I aren't so picky, the kids can be though. But, oh well. I never know what to make in the slow cooker. But that would be super helpful to use it more often. I don't know why I never thought about putting a chicken in there. Thanks for the idea! I used to shoot a bow in high school and hunt with one, but then I got out of it as I got older and grown and joined the Army and such. It will be nice to get back into it. I'm a 5th grade teacher.
DahliaDoll- I would participate in a weekly check in.
With my word, "Consistent," this would fall in line with my goal(s).
Congrats on the daily movement!

Jess- Fabulous insights and goals.
For cooking at home- particularly during the work week, I have to have something super simple.
Chicken put in the oven, a veggie or salad. A (homemade) soup that can be heated up, or a casserole assembled that just has to be put in the oven.
If it's not simple, I'll talk myself out dinner at home and get take out.

Annie
I need to think about the casserole thing too. I wonder if I could assemble the night before and keep in the fridge until the next evening? Or I guess if it was simple enough I could have DD or Eli assemble. He likes to help in the kitchen. Thank you for the idea! I love soup, the family not so much. haha

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Jess, This week I started to journal in the morning first thing as a way to empty my mind. It's from this book called The Artist's Way. The idea is to fill three sides of paper of stuff that is on your mind. You're not suppose to read over it at this point but just write whatever comes to mind even if it is " What's the point? This is stupid..." LOL! After one week, I will say it has been so worth the hassle and time. It's not a list of things to do nor is it necessarily a list of what I did but more about my feelings. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to do that for you. :)
That sounds like a great idea! I just may give that a try. I always worry that someone will read what I write I think.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
So, I have been watching Planner videos. Currently, I have a college ruled spiral paper notebook. It works. But ... WOW ... this lady's planners! Very inspiring!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm not sure why, but my weight is going up this week. I'll need to watch my food intake better. I didn't think it was that bad, but the scale is telling a different story.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Hi All! If you felt a disturbance in the atmosphere it may be because I worked out this morning- BEFORE work- for the first time in a looonnnngg time.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Way to go Annie

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Glad to hear it, Annie!

I'm keeping up with my exercising so far ... every day this year. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in tomorrow and/or Friday, but will sure try. At 21 days, it's supposed to become a habit, but I'm not too optimistic about that happening. Exercising is the easiest thing for me to talk myself out of doing. Even easier than fixing dinner!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Glad to hear it, Annie!

I'm keeping up with my exercising so far ... every day this year. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in tomorrow and/or Friday, but will sure try. At 21 days, it's supposed to become a habit, but I'm not too optimistic about that happening. Exercising is the easiest thing for me to talk myself out of doing. Even easier than fixing dinner!
If you fit in 1 minute of exercise or even one leg lift you have exercised. It might not be your full exercise routine but you have fulfilled your goal.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So that's the wave I felt in the pool yesterday morning Annie... ;) Hahaha...Just kidding. I made it back into the pool yesterday too for the first time in several months. Felt good, but dang I could feel it instantly. My body was like..WHOA...whatcha doing here!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
If you fit in 1 minute of exercise or even one leg lift you have exercised. It might not be your full exercise routine but you have fulfilled your goal.
I managed a bit more ... 1 mile video walk (am) plus Windsor Pilates Buns & Thighs and 10 pushups (pm). I'm going to have the same challenge tomorrow, so we will see what I end up with.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
So, I have been watching Planner videos. Currently, I have a college ruled spiral paper notebook. It works. But ... WOW ... this lady's planners! Very inspiring!

I use Happy Planner & love watching the videos of how people arrange theirs.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
DahliaDoll- I really think it takes longer than 21 days. My goal system has us work on a "habit goal" for 90 days.
After that, hopefully, it will just be a part of your life.
I'm like you- exercise seems to be the first thing I give up when life gets even a bit wonky.

MinnieCo- You made me laugh! Great job in getting back in the pool!
Laura- I will check out those videos. I'm a planner nerd. Love to see different ones, how people use them, etc.

Great job all! Even a little bit more effort than what we were doing is a win!

Annie

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been consistently doing the walk with Leslie on YouTube. It takes about 15 mins and there is enough variety with the different videos that I don't get bored. There is one that is a 5 mph walk that is challenging. I am working up to that one. I will stay with the others and come Feb. 1 I will do the 5 mph until by stress test on the 21st. It will be close to March and hopefully I can get outside March 1st. There is an app you can use outside.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My walks have been shortened drastically this week. My exercise time was spent conversing with my dds. This was their last week here before heading back to school next week. I only got in 2.5 hours of walking and 5 miles. I'm hoping to get back on track next week.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Mary ~ 5 miles is better than nothing, and your time with DDs is a priority, I know.

It sounds like everyone is really making an effort towards exercise. It's very inspiring.

I snuck in a short video step workout this morning. It got my heart rate up, though. It's one I really do enjoy doing. Tomorrow I need to be sure to get in some kind of upper body toning. I'm thinking of adding some leg blast workouts also to try to get my legs in better condition for snow skiing. We're taking a ski trip in early February.

Also, although I am not and never will be a jogger, DH does jog. I'm thinking I might just go out one time to see just how far I can go. I'm curious how my step aerobics compares to jogging, but low impact. I wouldn't want to continue the impact on my joints by starting up jogging, and I really don't enjoy it. I'm not an endurance-type exerciser.