Gift Closet 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I've bought some second-hand lego sets that don't come with a box. Does anyone have any ideas of how to wrap them?
If you're crafty, make up a drawstring bag to fit the pieces. It will make carrying them around easier. Years ago, I got a pair of holiday pajamas that came in a plaid flannel bag and my DD used that bag to carry all her Strawberry Shortcake dolls when she went to GM's house. When I sold our house, she found that drawstring bag and took it home with her and later told me that some of the little figurines still had their scent some 30 years later.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
@Rose94, @Lori K - thank you both, good ideas.

I'm not especially crafty, but I do have some Xmas fat quarters about that could be used for a bag. It'd have to be handsewn though as I have no machine.

I should've asked before posting - is it ok to ask questions such as that in this thread?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Since DH is challenged when it comes to wrapping gifts we've been using fabric gift bags for a while. A perfect place for Legos.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa

I'm not especially crafty, but I do have some Xmas fat quarters about that could be used for a bag. It'd have to be handsewn though as I have no machine.

I should've asked before posting - is it ok to ask questions such as that in this thread?
Do you have a friend that sews that could help you out? They sew your fabric into bags and you bake them something in exchange. Have you seen the bags that when completely open they lay flat. Lego can stay on the bag and when their done they just pull up the string and it’s all cleaned up.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

It's perfectly acceptable to ask questions! That's one of the things we like about coming here. There are so many ways we get ideas from the others.

You could use the mesh bags that produce comes in if the pieces aren't too small.
Look on the internet and print out several pictures of the set. Save a food box that's similar in size. Glue the pictures to the box or decoupage the box with the pictures.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I've bought some second-hand lego sets that don't come with a box. Does anyone have any ideas of how to wrap them?
Are you eating ice cream out of a tub over Summer?. Ones with lids? Maybe recycle those tubs and store the Lego sets in them for gifting.
Would be no cost and a way to reuse items. Win/Win.

AND....of course it's OK to ask questions. Even if you are not sure just ask, we are always happy to help.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
@Rose94 - sadly not, we're not a crafty bunch in my circle. But i know exactly which bags you're referring to, and that's a great idea.
@missjane i know those produce bags, i saw some today. Another great suggestion.
@sweetpumkinpye - oh I threw out an ice cream tub this week! Guess I'll just have to buy (and eat) some more...

Well, I'm certainly spoilt for choice with options now! Thank you all

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
@sweetpumkinpye - oh I threw out an ice cream tub this week! Guess I'll just have to buy (and eat) some more...
Good plan :D

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the hardware shop and they had a lovely metal and leather wine rack that holds 4 bottles reduced to $5.00. Thought it would make a nice gift for DD. When it scanned it came up as $1.27 so raced back and got another. Now DD will have 2 for Christmas.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Went to the hardware shop and they had a lovely metal and leather wine rack that holds 4 bottles reduced to $5.00. Thought it would make a nice gift for DD. When it scanned it came up as $1.27 so raced back and got another. Now DD will have 2 for Christmas.
WOW!!! You scored a great deal there. I bet your DD will love them .

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Katrina WOW! You really got a great deal.

DH had this pass week off so we headed to the States for some site seeing and a little shopping. Got DH parents a candle and room sprays from Yankee candles(DH picked them out) along with some candies. Also stopped at Bronner’s for a few Christmas decorations.
also grabbed some yarn and beads to make gifts.

Reactions: Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Also stopped at Bronner’s for a few Christmas decorations.
OMG, to hear that store mentioned!!!!! I was born in Saginaw and raised in SW Michigan. We'd often make a trip over to Bronner's, but it's been years. Love seeing mention of it and that it's still there. Thank you!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I remember my trip to Bronner's several years ago. They even had a small Hanukkah display amidst all the wonderful Christmas stuff.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am hopeful that I can get a visit in when DH and I go up to my brothers for our family reunion in August. He lives about 12 miles from there.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I haven’t been to bronners since 1993 I think. Most likely a good thing too! I remember always having to stand in line to get seated a Zehnders (sp?) for chicken dinners. So much fun there.

Placed a way too large Amazon order, mostly books and movies. Husband is done! If I happen across something fine. Son is done except for grocery items (waiting on grocery list) and one gift card. My cousin is done. Our friends are done except for gift cards. Waiting on a points deal at the store for gift cards. Service people (hair, etc) are done. Just my 2 friends left and I’m slowly pulling them together. Everything I have is boxed up and ready to wrap.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just saw the legos post and immediately thought of a resealable tub for storage. My students love having tubs of legos and blocks because they're easy to open, easy to pull from and can be quickly filled when finished playing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Picked up GCs for DH, DB and DSIL yesterday from the hardware warehouse. I was caught up in CIJ and thought I would do some Christmas shopping. There is no expiry date on them so should be OK.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Think I have youngest DGS done. Halloween is his kind of holiday so I when and grabbed a couple of the new Lemax spooky town pieces. He gets a house etc under the tree every year for his village.

Youngest DD gift also got finished up today with some dry mixes. Still need to think of something for her birthday which is two days after.