Crafter's Challenge November 6th-November 12th, 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Finished one plant cover yesterday, still need to start and finish another one. Also have a scarf to work on and want to make up some snowflake ornaments as gifts for book club group.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

For Christmas gifts:

• Embellish 3 sweatshirts for grandchildren
  • Embellish 1 shirt for DGD (I need to buy the shirt.)
  • 6 "poop bags" (Elf, Snowman, Reindeer, Unicorn, Grinch and Gingerbread Man)
  • January Pillowcase of the Month for DGS (actually for his BD the day after Christmas)
  • I may need to figure out one more girlfriend gift
I'm going to Open Sew on Tuesday and plan to work on a fall wall hanging (for me) and a block for one of my UFO BOMs. All the Christmas items listed above need the embroidery machine so I can't work on them at Open Sew.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Heading down stairs to work on my quilt. Not sure how far I’ll get on it this week with all my appointments. Tomorrow will pick up my last machine that was serviced. Everybody is cleaned and fixed now ready for a winter of sewing.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
A potential crafter's challenge of a different sort, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out with ideas. As many of you know, my DM has moved into a senior living apartment with graduated care. In cleaning out her place, post-move, we've discovered probably 50+ vintage doilies, crocheted by my GGM and GM, some probably dating back to the early 1900s. I already have plenty, as do my DMs sisters, my sisters (who also inherited their GMIL and MIL's stash), and neither my DD nor DNieces use them. Years ago, DSis#2 checked with an antique store re: her stash from her MIL and GMIL and they had no interest. Suggestions on what we could do with them?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Suggestions on what we could do with them
What wonderful work our grands and great grands did! I too have some doilies and hand crochet gloves.

Depending what you've done with the ones in the past you could frame some to use as decor and there may be a market for framed ones at an antique store or flea market.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
A potential crafter's challenge of a different sort, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out with ideas. As many of you know, my DM has moved into a senior living apartment with graduated care. In cleaning out her place, post-move, we've discovered probably 50+ vintage doilies, crocheted by my GGM and GM, some probably dating back to the early 1900s. I already have plenty, as do my DMs sisters, my sisters (who also inherited their GMIL and MIL's stash), and neither my DD nor DNieces use them. Years ago, DSis#2 checked with an antique store re: her stash from her MIL and GMIL and they had no interest. Suggestions on what we could do with them?
I have seen pictures of them used to make quilts. They are hand sewn onto blocks. Smaller ones turned into table runners in two ways. One where they are sewn down onto fabric and another one where they are simply connected to each other.
Have also seen them used in memory box’s on the back of them used to hold jewelry pieces.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Make Christmas trees, cover ornaments and give to family members or friends, frame them, cover a jean jacket with them, endless craft ideas. A friend took one her grandmother made and framed it with a photo of grandmother along with one of the grandmothers crochet hooks. Would make nice family heritage Christmas gifts.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I second all the above! There is a pattern called the Modern clutch ( think that’s the name) by Pink Sands that would be perfect for them. We made the clutch for my cousin’s daughters wedding, it’s a easy make, not a lot of sewing. We used lace from my cousins wedding gown but I’ve seen them with doilies.
Frame them with some family pictures would be nice.
I use all the ones my grandma made on my end tables. Guess I’m dating myself lol.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I just read Rose’s idea and her suggestions are similar to my thoughts. Connect them to make a tablecloth or bed cover. These could be placed on top of a colored tablecloth/runner or bedspread in guest room. I have some of my moms but not I use them under lamps, vases,etc. What a wonderful keepsake to have a tablecloth made by generations.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Going along with this thread, I have a hand crochet tablecloth that I use as a curtain/valence in the upstairs hallway.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lori ~ If you're looking for a good home for the vintage doilies, my sewing group seems to have a lot of interest in them. One of the women said she would take them all, if I read her email correctly. They are sometimes kind of garbled. If that scenario appeals to you, let me know if you are asking anything for them. Thanks for telling us about them.

The idea of a table cloth or bed coverlet would be a very nice keepsake, indeed.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
have a hand crochet tablecloth that I use as a curtain/valence in the upstairs hallway.
The idea of a table cloth or bed coverlet would be a very nice keepsake, indeed.
My DD has the large rectangular tablecloth my GGMa made. It has repairs done by both my GMa and DM. That's one item that has already been passed down. :)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Made tee shirts for Hanukkah for me and DSIL.GiftShirts.jpg

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My last machine is safely home. Decided to add another row of blocks on my quilt. It’s a little bit skimpy for me. Still need to cut the rest of the background for those blocks. Trimmed all the HST from the scraps, they are 1 1/2 inch, what was I thinking lol. But I have a plan for them in the border.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mom ~ I had to trim HSTs for the wall hanging I'm working on. I really do not like to square up blocks. I feel like I always lose size by the time they are square. I actually didn't have too much trouble with these. They sqared up to 2". Not quite a small as yours.

I worked on quite a few different projects yesterday. While my embroidery machine was stitching away and finishing up a design on a sweatshirt for Sonja, I worked on some appliques for the fall wall hanging and also for some embellishments for a craft tote and also cut out and did a bit of sewing on some bags. I cut enough fabric for 4 bags. They are just a brainstorm from one of the Stitched Together women. My 4 will all be identical and will be gifts, but I sure don't know who will receive them! LOL I'll be getting together for dinner with some friends in January (postponed Christmas gathering), so I'm thinking they may get them.

In the evening, I worked on one of the CCS watercolor floral motifs.