2022 Special Holiday Events

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'd like to start a thread similar to Weekly Wonders for special events that we are planning for 2022. Think outside your usual events on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - do you have a special breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or open house event to plan? Keep track of the details here.

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I'm hosting a table at our church's Ladies Dessert Night event. I'm going with an afternoon tea menu and I have quite a list! So far, I've knocked out one item.

( ) Check the mini-desserts selection at Whole Foods (I'm definitely a Semi-Homemade hostess, whatever saves time is a bonus for me!)
( ) Decide on bread (since I can't get Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White and Wheat here in Washington, I need to explore other options)
( ) Taste-test mini scones:
( x ) Scone option 1: Starbucks (vanilla, delicious but frosted, $1.55 each)
( ) Scone option 2: Panera
( ) Scone option 3: Try a recipe if I have time
( ) Order another Lenox Holiday two-tier server
( ) Server option 1: Amazon
( ) Server option 2: Lenox (15% off coupon but check shipping cost)
( ) Decide on centerpiece
( ) Order candles and candlesticks from Amazon
( ) Pick up mini Bonne Maman jams and jars of clotted cream from World Market
( ) Check supply of tiny spoons for jam and cream
( ) Look for festive top to wear
( ) Decide on napkin fold

That's the pre-prep list - as I check things off, I'll put up the Night Before and Day Of lists.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love this idea.
I have a few things planned but mainly in November to get ahead of the craziness of December.
I need to buy or find an outfit that is suitable for the Christmas season ( )

November 15th....lunch with former co workers but will be held at a restaurant so no planning or clean up required. (X)

DD, Mum and I are off to Sydney November 22-25th for the stage show Cinderella and to do some Christmas shopping. We will go up and back on the train and have also booked tickets for the Sydney Eye, a giant ferris wheel. Looking forward to that.
Need to find something to wear to the theatre ( )
Need to transfer funds into DD bank account for ticket (X)

November 27th. Annual extended family dinner.
About 10 of us at my house for a bbq dinner. Everyone brings something to share.
We provide the sausages and a cold bbq chicken and will do a few salads. I also provide drinks.
SIL brings a dessert and some sort of smoked meat as her husband is of German decent.
DD will bring a snack tray.
Mum will bring some sort of baked goods to share for afternoon tea.
Need to look at weather forecast and either clean the back deck (X) or set up furniture in the Sunroom ( )

The Saturday before Christmas we will do our family dinner. We have been doing it a little early over the past few years to let DD and DSIL free up time to do what they may need to do before Christmas. They are always busy with work and friend's parties as well as DSIL family get togethers so we are happy to host earlier in the week.

We do a simple menu here....
Cheese and meat platters
Fresh fruit platter with 3 chocolate dipping sauces
Sparkling apple cider or a 3 ingredient fruit punch for drinks.
After dinner we will go for a drive and look at Christmas lights or watch a movie or a show.
Need to decide on serving ware ( )
Table linens ( )
Have a range of movies available ( )

This plan changed and we went to DD's home

Mum and I will need appointment for nails so will book that in. (X) We will also visit Santa for a photo (booked for December 1st) and pack snacks one night and go and look at lights. ( )

NYE will be at my house. A very quiet affair of Mum, DB, DH and I. We order Chinese food and then play a game, this year we have 2 new games to try. We may watch a movie with some snacks and if we make to midnight we will toast the new year with sparkling apple juice.
Most of the items are on my shopping list for purchase over the next few weeks so feel I am in good order there.
Find Chinese restaurant menu (X)
Decide on table linens ( )
Wash serving ware ( )
Wash crystal glasses for toast ( )

This plan also changed as DB was house sitting so we went there for the evening.

I think that is it for me but I love that I can come back and look at this and add/delete as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PamelaG

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We provide the sausages and a cold bbq chicken and will do a few salads. .

NYE will be at my house. A very quiet affair of Mum, DB, DH and I.We order Chinese food and then play a game, this year we have 2 new games to try.
I love how you have your plans laid out. I would like to know your recipe for cold bbq Chicken and what NYE games you have planned.

Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love how you have your plans laid out. I would like to know your recipe for cold bbq Chicken and what NYE games you have planned.
BBQ chicken is so easy. We just buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli counter of the supermarket. When cold we divide it and add some seasonings such as lemon pepper, a taco seasoning or seasoned salt.
The games we have bought this year is 5 Second Rule and an 80's trivia game. 5 Second Rule is played by drawing a card and you get 5 seconds to name 3 things from the said category. We picked this as the answers can be true or silly and it doesn't matter peoples capabilities they can still play.
The 80's trivia one could be fun ( I am getting this in my stocking) and I hope that most people will enjoy playing along.

1667362926825.jpeg1667362942034.jpeg

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Mum and I will need appointment for nails
Thanks for the reminder - I need to add this to my list.
5 Second Rule is played by drawing a card and you get 5 seconds to name 3 things from the said category. We picked this as the answers can be true or silly and it doesn't matter peoples capabilities they can still play.
I'll have to look for this game, it sounds like fun. Last year I bought Tension which is advertised as a fast-paced guessing game of subjects and categories. We played it at Sophia's on Christmas Eve and it was fun. I'm going to take it to our small group the Saturday after next. We've finished the current Bible study so we're having a potluck and game night.
Tension.jpg

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
( ) Check the mini-desserts selection at Whole Foods (I'm definitely a Semi-Homemade hostess, whatever saves time is a bonus for me!)
( ) Decide on bread (since I can't get Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White and Wheat here in Washington, I need to explore other options)
( x 2 3 ) Taste-test mini scones:
( x ) Order another Lenox Holiday two-tier server
( x ) Server option 1: Amazon
( - ) Server option 2: Lenox (15% off coupon but check shipping cost)
( x ) Pick up mini Bonne Maman jams and jars of clotted cream from World Market
( x ) Check supply of tiny spoons for jam and cream
( ) Look for festive top to wear ( x ) found one, but haven't ordered it yet ( ) ordered it ( ) arrived, keeping it
( ) Make manicure appointment

Made a little progress.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I'm hosting a table at our church's Ladies Dessert Night event. I'm going with an afternoon tea menu and I have quite a list! So far, I've knocked out one item.

( ) Taste-test mini scones:
( ) Order another Lenox Holiday two-tier server
( ) Server option 1: Amazon
( ) Server option 2: Lenox (15% off coupon but check shipping cost)
( ) Pick up mini Bonne Maman jams and jars of clotted cream from World Market
( ) Check supply of tiny spoons for jam and cream
( ) Look for festive top to wear

That's the pre-prep list - as I check things off, I'll put up the Night Before and Day Of lists.
If you enjoy cheesecake, an easy way to make them is to use Christmas cupcake liners and a vanilla wafer in the bottom, in lieu of the crust. Fill and bake with your usual cheesecake recipe, and top with a dab of cherry pie filling and a spritz of whipped cream.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Am@zon has it.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Am@zon has it.
I have ordered it from Amazon - they only have the white, not the wheat - but its freshness is questionable. The last time I ordered, it was really stale.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It's a different kind of holiday season here, and I'm having difficulty putting my finger on it. It's like my entire circle is changing, and fairly rapidly. So I'm feeling more unsettled about the holidays than I have in years. What has been contstant is no more. Much of my support system seems to be shifting, if not collapsing.

We will likely have a birthday dinner on Nov. 24th for my DSis#2, since she'll be in the Chicago suburbs for Thanksgiving. But I haven't gotten any details. Thanksgiving will be at my DD and DSIL's house, a small group of 6, I believe. DD, DSIL, me, DMom, his DSis and DNephew.

Our widows group is having a Christmas get-together on Dec. 10th, but not sure I'm going to go. Changing dynamics and I'm feeling "stuck" when I need to be moving forward. I'm not sure I'll continue with the group after this year.

There will be a December get-together for book club. I'm assuming it will be Christmas-themed, since our book for December has a Christmas plot. Will know more about that this afternoon.

Bible study will continue every two weeks, so we'll gather at some point in December. We meet every 2 weeks and our 2nd meeting in Dec. is scheduled for the Thursday before Christmas. Not sure that's going to happen. That group, too, is in a transition. In the last 2 years, 2 members have passed away, a third had a stroke and has not (and will not) recovered enough to rejoin us. Another is currently in a rehab center, following serious illness, and yet one more has had a flare-up of a long-time illness. There really are only 3-4 "regulars" for this important gathering.

We will have a retirement luncheon on Dec. 16th for the last of my long-time colleagues to retire (at the end of the year). It will be downtown at a nice restaurant where the 5 of us have gathered before. We'll all contribute to her meal and a retirement gift from our group of friends.

Christmas Eve is typically at my chef-friend's house, with a mix of family and friends. They've not said anything formally, but I think it's assumed that I'll be there.

I'll likely host a light dinner on Christmas Day, late afternoon. Formal planning will commence on Thanksgiving, at some point after dinner. There's a possibility that it will be at DDs and DSILs, though, and that is OK with me.

There's typically been an annual Christmas party at a boating friend's home. At the recent wedding I attended, someone asked if they'd set the date for their party. The response was that the invite would be on Facebook, as usual, and visible to those who are invited. Guess that, after 25 years, I'm no longer on that list!

I'm thinking about hosting some friends between Christmas and New Years, but still kind of sorting things out ... And, I'm also considering hosting a Weds. "souper supper" during the winter as a way to stay close with my friends.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have ordered it from Amazon - they only have the white, not the wheat - but its freshness is questionable. The last time I ordered, it was really stale.
This is true. Sometimes the expiration dates are long past.

Reactions: PamelaG

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
It's a different kind of holiday season here, and I'm having difficulty putting my finger on it. It's like my entire circle is changing, and fairly rapidly. So I'm feeling more unsettled about the holidays than I have in years. What has been contstant is no more. Much of my support system seems to be shifting, if not collapsing.
I'm sorry you're going through this shift.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I'm sorry you're going through this shift.
It is tough when things change like this. I lost my military spouses connection when I started working full-time and we all know what COVID did for a lot of our social activity and relationships. Now that Vic is home, it's like 100% of my time outside of work is spent with him, which isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't leave a lot of time to develop any other relationships. It doesn't help that his culture is pretty much wives don't do things on their own (lol, he's finally gotten to the point where I can go to the hairdresser or run to the store but he used to be glued to my side - it's not a control thing, I think it might have stemmed from needing to be protective in his former environment when it was necessary for men to accompany their wives or sisters when they left the house - hard for us to imagine). Anyway, I'm not complaining but I understand that you're saying about your circle changing, shifting, collapsing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Things are a little different here too. In the past our workplace has always got together for an informal/formal get together. This new practice do not do this (well haven't set a date this year yet) but did hand out hampers last year. I can take or leave the hamper, not much from last year that I enjoyed.
As for no longer being with DrillDance it is another group that I no longer get together with.

Like a lot of us as we age our circle is getting much smaller.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Lori - it does seem that things constantly change - when the kids leave home, when you retire, when friends and relatives die, or move, or lose interest in get togethers. But no matter what happens on the actual holiday it is good that you will be keeping up the connections by hosting your friends during the winter

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lori, Im sorry you are going through this.
Our social/support system has changed here too, although ours has been gradual. A lot of changes because of death or illness. Some because we started distancing our selves due to getting inadvertently getting sucked into someone else’s drama. Some, I don’t know why. I think this time of year makes it more difficult, for me anyways, as I always remember the past more than I think of the future.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Thank you everyone for all your support and kind words. And, remembering to focus on the future is so important. Thank you for the reminder! Wish I could have you all over for coffee some time. I"m sure we'd have a good time. Just know that I value your online friendship as much as I would in person. Hugs across the miles!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I could have you all over for coffee some time. I"m sure we'd have a good time. Just know that I value your online friendship as much as I would in person. Hugs across the miles!
This is exactly how I feel. You are dearer to me than a lot of "real" people in my life. I would adore catching up with you all, what an event that would be!!