Mark your calendars

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Our worst enemy is our lack of personal planning. Thanks to HGP and the reminder to schedule hair appointments and such throughout the holiday season I had the lightbulb moment to apply that to life outside of the holidays.

Today I messaged my beautician with a set date and time for my hair appointments for 2023 every 8 weeks. She messaged me back that she's got them all scheduled. I added these appointments to my Iphone calendar with reminders set to alert me the day before. No more trying to see if she can squeeze me in on my day off because I didn't schedule in advance.

Schedule those doctors appointments (eye check-ups, dental check-ups, etc...), nail or pedicures, pest control, propane deliveries, tire rotations, oil changes, fireplace cleaning, vet appointments, propane deliveries, etc...
Set up that auto draft so that money from your check is directly deposited to your savings account whether it's for Christmas, taxes, medical use, emergency fund or even for a planned vacation. I have multiple savings accounts (taxes, Christmas, emergency, household, etc....) and it was so nice to not have to worry when the tax bill came in, a major appliance went out, a single prescription (with insurance) was $4,800 or even Christmas shopping. That's what it's designed for and I didn't miss the money because I never had it since I set it up this way from day one. When I got a nice raise I kept half and the other half was divided into these accounts. Most banks have no service fee if you keep a minimum balance, are a student or a senior citizen.

This is life folks. At no time in my life have I not known that my kids/grandkids birthdays came every year, Christmas was on December 25th, my hair needs a professionals touch every 8 weeks, my fireplace needs a good inspection and cleaning every October, my oil has to be changed in my vehicle approximately every 4 months, my eyes need to be examined every year, my teeth need cleaning annually, my appliances/furniture are not eternal, my septic system has to be pumped out every 3 years, my central a/c needs cleaning every 2 years, etc...............

However, for many years of my life I'd just take the hits as they came. I'd moan and groan at the expense and make do or go without to cover it when all I had to do was plan for it. We have house insurance, car insurance, health insurance and life insurance. This is living insurance. You are planning and preparing for it. You are in control of your living expenses, time and just how difficult or seamless you want these recurring/predictable/forever expenses to be.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Our worst enemy is our lack of personal planning. Thanks to HGP and the reminder to schedule hair appointments and such throughout the holiday season I had the lightbulb moment to apply that to life outside of the holidays.

Today I messaged my beautician with a set date and time for my hair appointments for 2023 every 8 weeks. She messaged me back that she's got them all scheduled. I added these appointments to my Iphone calendar with reminders set to alert me the day before. No more trying to see if she can squeeze me in on my day off because I didn't schedule in advance.

Schedule those doctors appointments (eye check-ups, dental check-ups, etc...), nail or pedicures, pest control, propane deliveries, tire rotations, oil changes, fireplace cleaning, vet appointments, propane deliveries, etc...
Set up that auto draft so that money from your check is directly deposited to your savings account whether it's for Christmas, taxes, medical use, emergency fund or even for a planned vacation. I have multiple savings accounts (taxes, Christmas, emergency, household, etc....) and it was so nice to not have to worry when the tax bill came in, a major appliance went out, a single prescription (with insurance) was $4,800 or even Christmas shopping. That's what it's designed for and I didn't miss the money because I never had it since I set it up this way from day one. When I got a nice raise I kept half and the other half was divided into these accounts. Most banks have no service fee if you keep a minimum balance, are a student or a senior citizen.

This is life folks. At no time in my life have I not known that my kids/grandkids birthdays came every year, Christmas was on December 25th, my hair needs a professionals touch every 8 weeks, my fireplace needs a good inspection and cleaning every October, my oil has to be changed in my vehicle approximately every 4 months, my eyes need to be examined every year, my teeth need cleaning annually, my appliances/furniture are not eternal, my septic system has to be pumped out every 3 years, my central a/c needs cleaning every 2 years, etc...............

However, for many years of my life I'd just take the hits as they came. I'd moan and groan at the expense and make do or go without to cover it when all I had to do was plan for it. We have house insurance, car insurance, health insurance and life insurance. This is living insurance. You are planning and preparing for it. You are in control of your living expenses, time and just how difficult or seamless you want these recurring/predictable/forever expenses to be.
Yes, setting your self up to suceed!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Not sure if my beautician will schedule all year in advance, but I'm going to see. I've fallen off the wagon of putting back money for designated expenses, but I need to get back at it. Thanks, Ellen, for the pep talk!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My chiro only does 3 months out But, hair and nail people will do a year out. My gyn schedules the next year and dentist does 6 months. I take advantage of that makes my life much simpler to manage.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My DH and I certainly need to re look at insurances and expenses here and make sure we have enough savings to cover most things.
Both of our cars are due for registration in January. I am going to pay mine for 6 months and move it to July.
We really need to work smarter with our money, times are tough.