What we are buying in 2023.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I had a more difficult year in 2022 sourcing items and managing the budget. So many items were unavailable and the prices on many other things had sky rocketed. By having an idea of what was needed early in the year I could tick things off as I found them and if I could not find items I had time to find an alternative. I will sit down with my Mum early next week and we will plan what we will prepare for Christmas dinner, baking, stocking fillers etc and devise a master list. I will pop it here as a reminder of what I will need to buy through out the year.
I am hoping that with some creative thinking and shopping we will be able to find everything that we need and still be able to give the family the Christmas that we wish for.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a master list of things I use for Christmas and I find looking for those items in July and August is helpful. It gives me time to find them if they aren't available then. Some things I know don't go on sale often. Those I'm willing to buy if I need them. Other items I will wait until October and November and try to take advantage of sales.

I'm also keeping track of "luxury" food items my children like. (For example, chocolate sunflower seed butter or imported Irish tea.) I will look for sales in November to see if anything goes on sale. Otherwise, I'll buy them the week before Christmas. Sometimes having those luxury items when things are tight makes things all that more sweeter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm also keeping track of "luxury" food items
I place a large online order at a British food shop every year for Christmas. This year, I found many of the items locally (World Market, local gourmet grocery store) so I'm going to trim the list for next year to eliminate the online order. We didn't need half of the order, honestly we ate so many sugary things this holiday season and we really could have done with just a few, bringing back the real meaning of "luxury treat".

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am re thinking what and how I buy for Christmas. For example I bought 2 lots of crackers for each get together that I planned. We ended up only eating 1 each time and now I have leftovers that I am not sure that we will eat. This year I will buy two crackers for the first event and if I need to "top up" I will.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have sat down and talked abut Christmas 2023 and what we need to do.
This year we are doing things differently at DB request. We will be having a picnic for Christmas lunch before going back to Mum's for desserts and gifts. We will be having a bigger get together at our place for NYE when we will have a bbq? Details on this are pending.

I hope that having an idea of what I need to buy will help space purchases out over the year and make the budget a little more manageable. Christmas is an important time for us and I want to give the family the nicest time without breaking the bank.

This list is just for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and NYE. This may change as the year moves on and plans alter. I also host a family get together in late November but those items are not listed here as everyone contributes to that meal.

I share most baking and meal prep with my Mum so that the list is shared. For example for Christmas dinner, I buy the Turkey, she buys the ham. I do the pasta salad, she does the potato salad, I do the pavlova and she does the pies. Anything that is to be used at Mum's is stored at her house. She has a cupboard specifically for Christmas/Holiday foods. Anything that I am storing here goes on the very top shelf of a cupboard in my laundry.

I am very aware of checking use by dates so that things are fresh but am also happy to buy items and store in the freezer until needed.

Baking:
Condensed milk (X)
Milk arrowroot biscuits (X)
Coconut (X)
Cocoa (X)
Icing sugar (X)
Milk powder (X)
Vanilla (X)
Cooking chocolate (X) Bought and in the freezer
Candy canes (X) Leftover from last year. To be crushed for chocolate bark.
M&M's (X) Bought and stored in a ziplock bag in a plastic container.
Sprinkles (X) Still have plenty after Christmas '22
Glace cherries (X)
Freckles (X)
Butter (X) Is in the freezer
Cooking margarine (X) Is in the freezer
Fruit mince mix (X) Bought when on clearance just before Christmas 2022 and will be fine.
SR flour (X)
Plain flour (X)
White sugar (X)

For meals:
Dry crackers (X) Need to cut back this year and purchase as needed. (Will buy cheeses, dip and cold meats closer to the time)
Waffles (X) Mum may make these, we have trialled making some. They are in the freezer.
Frozen Berries (-) Maybe just use fresh berries this year.
Ice cream (X)
Crushed pineapple (X)
Mini Marshmallows (X)
Chocolate sauce x3 (X)
Cereal (X)(X) The really bad, sugary type.
Donuts (-) not this year
Croissants (X)
Apple danishes ( )or Cinnamon scrolls ( ) or raspberry and white choc french toast ( ) I have not decided yet. Going with the French Toast
Turkey breast (X)
Bake at home bread rolls ( )
Tinned corn (X) Bought and stored at Mum's
Tinned pineapple pieces (X) Bought and stored at Mum's and one stored here.
Tinned beetroot (X) Bought and stored at Mum's
Dried pasta (X) Bought and stored at Mum's
Ranch dressing (X)
Bacon (X)
Eggs (X)
Apple Sauce (X)
Madiera cake (X)
Jelly crystals (X)
Long life custard (X)
Tinned peaches (X)

Drinks: I think we will have a hotter Summer so will really stock up here ( )
Fruit juices (X)(X) Apple and tropical
Flavoured teas (X)
Sparkling Apple juice (X)
Flavoured waters (X)
Ginger Ale (X)
Lemonade (Sprite)(X)
Juice for punch (X)
Coke/Coke no sugar (X)(X)

Christmas Eve Basket:
Block of chocolate (X)
Savory crackers (X)
Savory snacks Cheezels etc(X)
Popcorn (X)
Bottle of soft drink/little bottles of drink (X)
Mixed lollies (X)

New Year's Eve:
Non alcoholic cider (X)
Soft drinks (X)
Fortune Cookies (X)
Frozen cheesecake/lemon meringue pies (X)(X) stored at Mum's
Chips (X) Mum will buy these
Savory snacks (Cheetos, crackers etc) (X)
Mixed lollies (X)

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Sprinkles (X) Still have plenty after Christmas '22
Glace cherries ( )
Freckles ( )
If you'd said 100s and 1000s instead of Sprinkles, I'd know that one but I'm stumped on Freckles - what are they?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY

Nonpareils?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Allens-Freckles__45859.jpg
Freckles are a chocolate based sweet that is covered in 100s and 1000s. We put them on top of sugar cookie dough prior to baking as a decoration.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I had to look up nonpariels, but in the end essentially the same thing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
7 weeks since Christmas 2022. I am starting to stock up on items as I see them for Christmas and events throughout the year. Careful planning, checking the use by dates and storing items well should mean that I will have a good supply of what I need.
We are thinking of changing Christmas up a little this year so may need to adjust items if that is the case.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Like many, I evaluated what I had left and didn't use. I, too, bought too many crackers. I decided to stick to Ritz and add one other variety if needed. No shrimp dip, expensive and always have a lot left. Will only make it to take to large social events, if at all. Cut back on food quantities, but still too much. Will do a more thorough evaluation of it all, as well as have a discussion with DChildren about their view about it all.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Like many, I evaluated what I had left and didn't use. I, too, bought too many crackers. I decided to stick to Ritz and add one other variety if needed. No shrimp dip, expensive and always have a lot left. Will only make it to take to large social events, if at all. Cut back on food quantities, but still too much. Will do a more thorough evaluation of it all, as well as have a discussion with DChildren about their view about it all.
I think my love language is to feed lol. We certainly can cut way back. I did a cheese platter with 5 or 6 different cheeses. The 2 that were completely eaten were a Colby and a sharp vintage. When I asked the kids they said that they were their favourites and they were happy. So why would I buy more if the kids are happy with less? A note was promptly added to the planner.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
For this past Christmas, I bought some items in early November as I saw them and then put them in the closet. By the time Christmas was here, those early items made there way so far back in the closet, I couldn't see them. I forgot about them and then bought more.

In January, I did a full kitchen and pantry deep cleaning. I found a number of things I was going to use at Christmas. It was very frustrating. Now that everything has a place and I can see non-perishables in one fell swoop, I am hoping that helps me with keeping up so that I don't over buy or under buy. This also means that I have to keep up with organizing that closet every week.

I haven't kept a list of "special foods that I bought early and stored" mostly because I haven't really done that in the past. This year I purposely went out shopping looking for "impulsive" fall and Christmas foods such as Christmas tree shaped marshmallows and special seasonal blends of teas and sodas. If I do that again, I will be making a list and/or placing them in a special storage box which would make it easier to find all at one time.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I haven't kept a list of "special foods that I bought early and stored" mostly because I haven't really done that in the past. This year I purposely went out shopping looking for "impulsive" fall and Christmas foods such as Christmas tree shaped marshmallows and special seasonal blends of teas and sodas. If I do that again, I will be making a list and/or placing them in a special storage box which would make it easier to find all at one time.
I always try and have room in the budget for those impulse buys. I like a certain type of ginger biscuits and although not specifically on my list I will buy them when I see them. I like to buy different things, I like the sound of the tree shaped marshmallows.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
While on vacation, I often do the same, picking up seasoning blends and specialty items (and sometimes a small cookbook) to remember my visit to that special place. Additionally, if you have a Home Goods store near you, they always have a wonderful selection of gourmet holiday food items available ahead of the holidays. I get my holiday flavored coffees there and last year I got an absoutely wonderful bag of gourmet pumpkin rigatoni. They are part of the TJMaxx and Marshalls stores, so those two stores may also be an option. And their prices are always good! Sometimes a few of their specialty food items go on their clearance shelves, but they go quick if they do.