Wrapping party "wrap up" 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I hope that your Christmas was as fabulous as ours and that everything went to plan.

On the wrapping front everything was great this year. I had enough paper and bags to wrap things and it all looked so lovely under the tree. I do need to rethink where I store wrapped presents in the lead up because they take up so much room in my spare room. I will make sure that I tidy the spare room well before I wrap presents to enable me to store parcels and still allow me access to that room.

I do need to make sure I mix the presents up a bit better under the tree. There seemed to be too many for DS before I got to one for DSIL or DD. A little extra time when putting them out will make it easier on Christmas morning.,

I feel I have enough paper, tags, bags, ribbons for next year but will double check before I finally pack it away and write a note in my planner for later in the year.

Wrapping party dates were great, enough to get things done and enough spares to use as catch up if needed.
All in all I was really happy with how things went this year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have the same problem with one person receiving gifts before other start getting. I'll join you on the doing a better job of mixing them up.

I'm good on wrapping and tissue paper. I will need more bags (medium & large). I could use a few boxes, too. I wrapped several things "naked." They were loose and floppy, and I was scared the paper would tear. I have plenty of gift tags.

TAPE...somehow, we have four rolls of double stick tape. I have no idea why...
I need tape dispenser refill rolls of regular tape.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
TAPE...somehow, we have four rolls of double stick tape. I have no idea why...
I need tape dispenser refill rolls of regular tape.
I have changed up my tape. The one I was using was too thin so I went to the shops and got the wider tape. I think with all the wrapping I do I can use the better quality tape, anything to make my life easier. All the thin rolls I put in a bag to send to the local school.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I generally love to wrap but for some reason could not get my head around it this year. I did it very sporadically and did not enjoy it.

I might need more paper. OK on Hanukkah paper but need more neutral Christmas paper. Could use some ribbon too. Fine on bags and tissue and labeling stuff.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Wrapping went well this year. I did most of it late summer when recovering from the crud. Boxing up gifts as I get them was helpful. My boxes and tissue paper are easy to get to so it’s not a big deal. Gifts are then stored in labeled totes. Planning to do that again this year.
I bought paper this year as I went through my stash pretty well. I have plenty of tape, tissue paper (I reuse a lot of that along with the regular gift boxes) and tags.
I had thought I would start using ribbon and bows again since Myron is gone. Honestly I don’t think husband and son care about and it’s more work for me. Not worth the effort.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I bought 2 rolls of giftwrap on clearance right before Christmas and used very little of it. I'll need to add tissue paper at some point, and boxes, depending on what I purchase. It seems NO ONE has gift boxes available any more, not even at Customer Service. And stores like Party City don't carry many specialty-size boxes. Try wrapping a large item, such as a robe, without a box!!!! Reminder to self: Check tape supply at Thanksgiving. And, buy Chrsitmas cards sent to family early on in the season; do NOT wait until a week before Christmas and expect to find an appropriate card for DD and DSIL, BIL, or DMom.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thank you for hosting the wrapping parties, Katrina!!!!
I have more than enough supplies to go to next year.

I saw a post on a local fb site late Christmas Eve night- a mom desperately searching for wrapping paper
in order to finish up her kid's gifts!!

So glad we are prepared here!

Annie

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I bought 2 rolls of giftwrap on clearance right before Christmas and used very little of it. I'll need to add tissue paper at some point, and boxes, depending on what I purchase. It seems NO ONE has gift boxes available any more, not even at Customer Service. And stores like Party City don't carry many specialty-size boxes. Try wrapping a large item, such as a robe, without a box!!!! Reminder to self: Check tape supply at Thanksgiving. And, buy Chrsitmas cards sent to family early on in the season; do NOT wait until a week before Christmas and expect to find an appropriate card for DD and DSIL, BIL, or DMom.
I used cake boxes I bought at Walmart to wrap some large items. They have extra larges ones that work well and they were a little less money than regular gift boxes.
Like some here I reuse my shirt boxes etc. I fold them back so they store flat.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I used cake boxes I bought at Walmart to wrap some large items. They have extra larges ones that work well and they were a little less money than regular gift boxes.
Like some here I reuse my shirt boxes etc. I fold them back so they store flat.
Thank you for the suggestion about cake boxes. I had a computer back-pack to wrap and had no box for it. DSIL guessed wat it was before opening it! I, too, save shirt boxes, other smaller boxes in good shape, and gift bags, and store them in my wrapping paper bin.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our office uses at least two boxes per month of 500 count envelope boxes. I think I may collect at least 6 for Christmas wrapping next year. I had to wrap a robe for Mama in an Amazon packing box.

There's a paper store in Monroe that sells various sized boxes. I'll check before Christmas next year to see if I need any odd sized boxes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Check tape supply at Thanksgiving. And, buy Chrsitmas cards sent to family early on in the season; do NOT wait until a week before Christmas and expect to find an appropriate card for DD and DSIL, BIL, or DMom.
The back to school supplies are starting to hit the shops. (Kids are back to school early February) I find it a good time to look for tape, scissors, notebooks or binders. Maybe you could check tape supply etc when your back toschool sales are on.

I agree with the cards. I like to send one to DH, DS, DD and DSIL my Mum and DB. I have a few stashed away already so I think I am OK but usually check these things as part of my CIJ plans.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I saw a post on a local fb site late Christmas Eve night- a mom desperately searching for wrapping paper
in order to finish up her kid's gifts!!

So glad we are prepared here!

Annie
Oh my goodness, can you imagine the panic she must have been in?

I am so pleased that we are all ahead of the game, the ideas I get on here have saved my bacon many times.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Managed to get some wrapping paper and cellophane in the clearances after Christmas. Picked up a few Christmas cards so I am all set now for supplies. Have made a note in my planner as such.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was surprised about finding a few things on clearance. The past few years have been very slim pickings indeed. It was almost thrilling to see a bargain.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I have paper left over from this year and cards for the service folks (trash, garden, and pest control), just have to order family cards and cards for our exchange. We're having a low-key Christmas because Vic and I are hoping to take a big trip in December so that will be our Christmas spend and Sophia will no doubt have a variety of items for me to choose from on her Amazon wish list.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Everything is put away for next year. I did a little rearranging so some of my supplies are handy since I’m boxing things up as get them. I did buy some paper after Christmas because I was starting to run low. I splurged before Christmas, I found nutcracker wrapping paper. Good thing I did, I didn’t see any after Christmas. Plenty of tape and tissue paper here.
I’ll start working on my cards as soon as I finish my quilt as I have everything I need.
I bought Christmas stamps in December since postage is going up again.
I think I’m pretty well set.

Reactions: PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I found nutcracker wrapping paper. Good thing I did, I didn’t see any after Christmas. Plenty of tape and tissue paper here.
I think I’m pretty well set.
Over the last few years I have purchased items that I need/want when I see them. There has been no guarantee of seeing things after Christmas.
I am glad that you are set to go for 2023

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know I so struggle in this realm with having too much. When my brother moved in he brought so much wrapping stuff. He'd buy and buy and buy after Christmas each year just because. I've given so much away, but every year I still feel like I have a ton I don't use. I've been buying the Pioneer Woman paper, which is a good mix and match, the past 5 or 6 years and as much as I love it, I find myself getting bored already. That's my problem...I love the idea of picking out some of my favorite paper each year and sticking to a theme to make it easier, but then I LOVE wrapping paper, actually ALL paper, as a whole and it's a problem for me. I just need to buckle down and purge some more, even thought I'll think I'm feeling it in the pocket book. My husband wraps, but doesn't use the fancy stuff, my brother pretty much picks one paper and also doesn't use the fancy stuff, so why I have 6 totes of stuff (not giant totes) is beyond me. I tell myself all the time "it's okay to move forward and it's okay to change". In other areas I'm good, but wrapping paper and supplies is HARD FOR ME!!!!