Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just saw this on Facebook and thought I'd share. If you make a large batch of soup (or have leftovers), freeze it in red Solo cups, in individual portion size. My thought, for your first one, fill your regular soup bowl, just as you would to eat, then pour into the Solo cup, so you have a good marker for your personal serving size. The cup doesn't have to be full. When the cups are completely frozen, pop them out and put in a gallon ziplock bag. That way you can remove and reheat your soup for individual servings.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Just saw this on Facebook and thought I'd share. If you make a large batch of soup (or have leftovers), freeze it in red Solo cups, in individual portion size. My thought, for your first one, fill your regular soup bowl, just as you would to eat, then pour into the Solo cup, so you have a good marker for your personal serving size. The cup doesn't have to be full. When the cups are completely frozen, pop them out and put in a gallon ziplock bag. That way you can remove and reheat your soup for individual servings.

I usually just put single serve portions of left over of soup/chili in freezer bags, squeeze out as much air and lay flat in the freezer. I can stack several this way.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Monthly shopping trip done. Some prices went down a little- chicken for one. The rest the same or higher. Shelves were pretty sparse- hardly any cereal, no generic or store brand sugar at all, just a few bags of domino brand. Hardly any 1/2n1/2. Butter was 4.09 a pound this week. Found a couple of bottles of wine for Christmas Eve dinner.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a sensible idea. This would work for so many things. I will try this for sure.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Monthly shopping trip done. Some prices went down a little- chicken for one. The rest the same or higher. Shelves were pretty sparse- hardly any cereal, no generic or store brand sugar at all, just a few bags of domino brand. Hardly any 1/2n1/2. Butter was 4.09 a pound this week. Found a couple of bottles of wine for Christmas Eve dinner.
I just did my fortnightly shop. Went to a different supermarket and it cost so much more that usual. My fortnightly shop came to $170, last time it was around $120.00. I did get a few things for the upcoming Summer but was surprised at the total cost.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I was watching a video on YT and one of the comments below said, "So glad to hear your thoughts on cutting back for Christmas. Our kids are getting c a s h inside a crate with essentials for easy meals (beans and rice; soups; flour and crisco to make biscuits, and some powdered milk and butter)...and freeze dried eggs, fruit, and tomatoes)"

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Son always gets groceries for Christmas. He gives me a list. I find it’s hard to buy a adult male gifts that aren’t a waste of money. He loves a well stocked pantry.

My deal of the day: the local meat market had fresh chicken tenders for 1.50$ a pound, you had to buy a case, 40 pounds. I spent my morning repacking tenders for the freezer. I don’t think I’ll be buying chicken for awhile.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I ran in to pick up milk and stopped by the meat section to see if they had any manager specials. I left with a 10 lb. pork shoulder for $2.00 a lb. I threw it in the crock pot as soon as I got home. I now have three quart size bags of pulled pork in the freezer.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Jampass, I am thinking the same thing as the you tuber is.......my plan is to gift everyday gifts. Cash, organic coffee....I heard we should all be drinking anyway, but it does cost more, homemade trail mix put in glass instant coffee jars, maybe the Rao spaghetti sauce that is $6.00 a jar. Nuts of all kinds......I have bought a few long term storage foods from Augason Farms on HSN and Winco has some. I do watch some prepper channels, not the end of the world ones, but the useful, helpful ones that give advice and suggestions.

Laurie

Simplify

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Wow! This Russian grocery store!

Reactions: Lori K

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
DD's BF is a hunter and he got a deer for our freezer. The meat market we use dropped their prices on cases of chicken so Saturday DH and I are going to head there and stock up. I am expecting to get about 120lbs of chicken which should hold us over until after the holidays. I have plenty of space in chest freezer for it so we will be good.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just a reminder to think out of the box when it comes to buying your cooking and baking items. I just made a quick run to one of our big box hardware-type stores -- pulled out my last garbage bag last week and today is trash pick-up, so need a trash bag like NOW. Thought I'd check a few things, since I sometimes get good deals and clearance prices in their food section. I was hoping for a large can of coffee to keep for back-up, but not at $11 for Folgers. Mini-marshmallows for hot chocolate @ $1.25 (my reg. grocery hasn't had the mini's in a long time, only the regular and super sized ones); butter @ $2.98; and both walnuts and pecans for $5.49. Most places near me have been close to $7 for nuts, and I use a lot in my bread-making over the holidays. Hair care and toothpaste prices were better than Meijer, but I'm well stocked in that area of my pantry.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just a reminder to think out of the box when it comes to buying your cooking and baking items.
Some of the $$$ stores here have toiletries and some baking items at much reduced prices. For example name brand aerosol deodorant is $8 at the supermarket and $2.75 at the discount store. Always worth a look at

Reactions: luludou and jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Some of the $$$ stores here have toiletries and some baking items at much reduced prices. For example name brand aerosol deodorant is $8 at the supermarket and $2.75 at the discount store. Always worth a look at
But, do be cautious with $ store food and toiletry purchases. Grabbed a tube of toothpaste one time and found it was made in China, checked another brand and it was made in Viet Nam. One was Colgate and another was Crest. Just be aware ... may be the same product you purchase elsewhere, but manufactured and/or packaged in different locations, under different regulations and that's why it's is less at the $ store.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I was curious what all are seeing for T-day shopping.
I have been encountering a lot of empty shelves.
When I was putting together the dinner for my game group,
I had to "make do" with a couple of items.
For ex: The flavor of spaghetti sauce.
The store only had one jar of "marinara." I needed 2 so had to go with "traditional."
What traditional means, I have no idea. Hahahaha
Actually, my 1st choice would have been "Four Cheese." None to be found.

Frozen garlic bread- usually several brands/styles to choose from. Only 1.

Last evening while getting pie ingredients- I got the last of several items.
No whipping cream to be found- had to go to a 2nd store.
1/2 & 1/2 and milk- bare sections in both stores.

My brother bought the bulk of the T-day groceries and he said it was very expensive.

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
At Aldi's ... no mayo .. their brand, a few bags only of stuffing, eggs slim, they have been out of heavy whipping cream but it was there yesterday, no coconut oil for months, I got chicken quarters for me and a turkey breast loin for DH/DS. They had turkey's frozen for $1.07 lb. Last week, no sugar. The sugar and flour alternate being out. Chicken area is always slim.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I haven’t been big shopping in 4 weeks so not a lot of info from me. I did run a couple of errands and noticed a few things. Not a lot of produce anywhere. Turkeys were on special at my store .47/lb for store brand and butterball .99/lb limited to one each for card holders. Marks had them .87/lb limit 2. I found plenty of 1/2n1/2. What I can’t find is the Kraft jar cheeses. I need the roka blue (I found a stray jar of old English). Curious what I’ll find when I’m out Wednesday.