12 Days of Christmas ....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,

Does anyone celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas - running from Christmas Day until the Epiphany? We carry on Christmas, celebrating the traditional 12 Days of Christmas. We do not decorate our tree or start listening to our collection of traditional Christmas carols until Christmas Eve. We have family celebrations & attend mass on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We celebrate St. Stephen's Day/Boxing Day, and have several gatherings to attend between then and the Epiphany. We have a 12th night celebration at our home & do not take down any decorations until Little Christmas. We also celebrate the New Year, as well as Candelmas on February 2nd.

I know that nowadays fewer people, in America, follow the traditions of the Victorian/British celebration of the 12 Day - I am just curious if any of you do.

May the true spirit of Christmas be with you all today, and throughout the new year.

Gidget-

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Gidget-

I don't do something traditional every day but in honor of my grandmother- I keep the decorations up until Epiphany.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Most people I've talked to about this think it's the 12 days before Christmas.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We keep our tree up until Epiphany most years and of course visit and such from Christmas Eve until then.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Ahorsesoul: I think that a lot of people mistakenly think that the 12 days come before Christmas because that it the way the media/stores/commercial venues present it.

If people thought about it, they would most likely understand that the first day of Christmas is Christmas.

Thank you for responding to my post and sharing your family traditions.

Cheers!

Gidget-