14 Days of Red

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
It's time to open back up the Valentine's Day Countdown....what plans do you have for February and Valentine's Day?

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I pull out the red tablecloth and red candles for the dining table. I like that red/green/blue are used for multiple holidays. I have some little décor I put out too, but probably closer to February.

My DH and I exchange mushy Valentine cards, usually we pick the same sentiment by accident, which is kind of neat. I’m all about the chocolate for Valentine’s day. I get my DD and DS chocolate Valentine’s candy too. My DH usually gets me some flowers, but I insist no red roses. The prices are ridiculous! Sometimes we eat out, sometimes I cook a romantic dinner. This year I’m not sure what we will do, he has a follow-up doctor appointment that afternoon.

Life is short so we try and keep the romance and love front and center every day. Valentine’s Day for me is an excuse to eat chocolate covered cherries, lol.

Other dates in February – I always get a kick out of watching the Groundhog Day festivities on February 2nd up in Punxsutawney, PA.

Superbowl is in there too. Our family isn’t into sports but we like the puppy bowl and I try and see some of the commercials. I do like to fix some fun food. Last year I did a new black bean, lime and cilantro chili and some little sandwiches.

Chinese New Year – February 10th, Year of the Snake. I like to make or serve Chinese food and read about the customs.

Then there is MardiGras on February 12th this year. My DH performs at a big festival/parade a little north of here. I went last year but I plan on staying home this year. Ash Wednesday the following day and the start of Lent, which means DH will be enjoying fish sandwiches and fish tacos each Friday, and he isn’t even Catholic.

And while President’s Day is mainly sales, I like to get a cherry pie in honor of Washington’s Birthday.

Lots of fun stuff in February. Not just for Valentine’s anymore!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Robin, I like the Cherry Pie idea for George Washingtons Birthday. That's cool! I don't even know what day of the week Valentines Day is yet, so I guess I better go check. ;)

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Back in the old days (70's, lol) I remember Lincoln's Birthday and Washington's Birthday were big deals. In school we would make those silhouettes of the presidents' heads and learn about Washington and the cherry tree. And my DH and I happen to love cherry pie so that is fun. Any excuse to have a little celebration, even if it is just dessert.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Wow! Robin, I never realized February actually has so many things to celebrate.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sugarplum love all your ideas!!... hummm... would be great to make a list of these and incorporate a little of each in my weekly menu plan.. and maybe a small item of decor. thanks for the ideas!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
so I think I'm gonna do that for fun. were all big history buffs in our house and my daughter will get a kick out of it.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
My son is a history major/art history minor so it is fun to talk with him about the past. Especially this year, they had a lot about the presidents on the History Channel with the inauguration.

February is a short month, and with fun things to do, before you know it, springtime is almost upon us.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Hurrah for February! It's a whole holiday season in it's self!

We usually do s little family celebration for V-Day. I cook favorite meals. Meatloaf for Lynn, spaghetti or lasagna for the boys, chocolates on their plates, chocolate covered strawberries and an apple pie or cobbler for dessert. I set a dressed up table-as dressed up as we get-and candles on the table. They love it.

I love the cherry pie for Washington's birthday! I pinned a pie pop recipe that might be cute for that day.

I am also planning a monthly extended family breakfast for February. Thinking about a lodge or hunt theme-lots of dogs and horses, etc in my decor.

Baseball practice will start in February also. That's always cause for celebration!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
There are so many great ideas on the internet these days. Back when my kids were little, all we had were woman's magazines. When I was a young girl I would read and re-read my mother's Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50's. The book had meals, desserts, etc. planned around holidays and parties, and little stories to go with them. They had recipes for just about any old holiday. Luckily I got that book, along with all the old recipe boxes after my mom died so I get to still enjoy reading them.

I see all the creative things people do online and wonder how anyone has the time, lol. But it is fun to look and I even print out a few things that I would like to do, months in advance of course. How terrible that I'm already thinking about Memorial Day? I have a big family reunion for Easter at my house and I really should be working on that!

Cathy - the hunt theme sounds very cool!

Snowey - Holidays just bring back the old nostalgia for me!

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
I pull out the red tablecloth and red candles for the dining table. I like that red/green/blue are used for multiple holidays. I have some little décor I put out too, but probably closer to February.

My DH and I exchange mushy Valentine cards, usually we pick the same sentiment by accident, which is kind of neat. I’m all about the chocolate for Valentine’s day. I get my DD and DS chocolate Valentine’s candy too. My DH usually gets me some flowers, but I insist no red roses. The prices are ridiculous! Sometimes we eat out, sometimes I cook a romantic dinner. This year I’m not sure what we will do, he has a follow-up doctor appointment that afternoon.

Life is short so we try and keep the romance and love front and center every day. Valentine’s Day for me is an excuse to eat chocolate covered cherries, lol.

Other dates in February – I always get a kick out of watching the Groundhog Day festivities on February 2nd up in Punxsutawney, PA.

Superbowl is in there too. Our family isn’t into sports but we like the puppy bowl and I try and see some of the commercials. I do like to fix some fun food. Last year I did a new black bean, lime and cilantro chili and some little sandwiches.

Chinese New Year – February 10th, Year of the Snake. I like to make or serve Chinese food and read about the customs.

Then there is MardiGras on February 12th this year. My DH performs at a big festival/parade a little north of here. I went last year but I plan on staying home this year. Ash Wednesday the following day and the start of Lent, which means DH will be enjoying fish sandwiches and fish tacos each Friday, and he isn’t even Catholic.

And while President’s Day is mainly sales, I like to get a cherry pie in honor of Washington’s Birthday.

Lots of fun stuff in February. Not just for Valentine’s anymore!

Lots of great ideas. I've jotted some down.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Unfortunately, I will be on a business trip over Valentine's Day...Albany...brrrr! I have a small star wars Lego set for DS7 and a new Thomas train for DS3...DH is hinting that he needs a new "beer tender" - basically a small keg at home, but it might have to be for V-Day, Easter AND father's Day!!!

I'm all about the chocolate, too! I don't need flowers...just the chocolate! ;) and homemade cards from my boys!

We decorated this past weekend...there isn't much, red and white towels in the kitchen and guest bathroom, a White tablecloth with conversation hearts runner in the dining room and red candles on the table and mantle. I have a few small heart pillows that I put on the couch and a conversation hearts wreath on the front door. Other than that, the boys pu up window clings on the back door and hung paper hearts and doily's in the hall (from the stair railing).

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
It's great to be thinking about Valentine's day and February events before the end of January. I always try and get my Valentine's cards before February 1st because they are always picked over if you wait until the last minute.

I also remembered I have 2 disposable heart foil pans up in the closet that I bought 2 years ago to bake a cake or brownies that I never did. My mom always baked a chocolate cake in her heart shaped pans. Talking and thinking about Valentine's reminded me so I'm glad I have time to prepare that this year.

Colleen - I thought I read that your son wanted a new "beer tender" for his Thomas trains, like one of the coal tenders, lol. I finally realized it was for your DH, lol. My son has had a 21-year love/obsession of trains, all starting with Thomas. He makes me a homemade card for every occasion, usually in lieu of a gift. I won't accept a store bought card, lol. He's a talented artist so the cards he makes are personal and pretty special.