2008 BOOing

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Did I see the mention of a special BOO 2008 printout available at the June 1st chat????

Three years ago, BOOing started in our neighborhood.
Two years ago, there was lots of BOOing.
Last year there was none.
This is too sad. I do not want
BOOing to die out. I plan to go to the Chat on June 1st and get the Boo printout! :boo:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes there are lots of good stuff out there....the printout that will be available to chat members is a print out of little gift tags that you can attach to Boo gifts...so plan on joining the Secret Santa Ideas chat....you can get the links to little Secret Santa cards AND the Boo gift tags at the same chat!!!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We are kinda new to our neighborhood... I want to start the tradition. Has anyone do it via email. I want to send our fun booing emails... I have a wonderful group of moms that I email. Anyone have any ideas for me???. This is what I want to work on for Great Pumpkin Day in June.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I haven't done this in the past, but I have 5 neighbors that would just love it! Two of them are elderly ladies (one is my aunt) that would love to get a little someun-someun, two are VERY YOUNG single women (I went to school with both of them, of course they are still young) that I'd like to treat, and one is in the same party plan business as me and has a 3 year old granddaughter that lives with her, so I'd like to include her. :hat:

One thing I'm kind of thinking about doing (not sure how this will all work out just yet, but I'm thinking about it) is to deliver fresh pumpkins to each one a few days before halloween. Should I carve them into Jacks or just give them the pumpkins? What do ya'll think about that. Honestly, it would be much easier to give them the pumpkin, but I might could paint the faces on...I'm just thinking "out loud" here about the time issue...we'll be in football season then, with free time an issue...hmmm....thoughts? ideas?
:jack:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cathymac - why would you give them pumpkins? Do they usually not have pumpkins? If they do not usually have pumpkins -- then I think I would carve them and put a candle inside (maybe a tealight in a little holder.) That would make it special. If they didn't have a front porch for a jack-o-lantern -- and did not want trick-or-treaters --- then I would give them a tiny pumpkin and NOT carve it. (Maybe in addition to candy.) I think it is delightful to expand BOOing to families without children. After all, doesn't everybody like Halloween? :boo:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I guess I should have explained that better! LOL! You mean you can't read my mind?

We grow pumpkins at our farm. My older neighbors are on tight budgets and they really won't spend the money for things such as pumpkins, but in the past when I've shared our bounty, they've loved it. I was trying to think of something they would enjoy that they might not spend the money on themselves...and they are free to me, so why not share!! As I've said I've shared in the past, but not as a part of "Booing". I will add the tags and a small bag of candy to the pumpkin...and I've about decided to leave them uncarved so that they can enjoy them through Thanksgiving, as well...

Magnolia

MHH Member
Nov 27, 2007
What a WONDERFUL idea! I've never heard of this before. We're relatively new to our neighborhood, too, and I'm definitely going to do this this year.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Shirl

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
We're new to the neighborhood too so I'm not sure if anyone here does this or not but I'm going to start it. Last year, I started it on the 1st of October to give everyone enough to get it done. I will probably do the same this year. What are everyone's ideas for what to put in the goodie bags? Or for presentation? I just used the Halloween bags they had at the store (nothing fancy). I'm wondering if I should find something else to use. Wonder if the dollar store would have something good.

I included a votive candle in a fall scent, a Halloween cookie cutter, glow in the dark bracelet, and candy, of course. Not sure what else I should put in there. Guess I'll have to look around and see what's available.

Also, when I was handing out the bags, to avoid giving one to those who don't celebrate that particular holiday, I made sure to give them to those who had decorations up. Figured that was a sure sign they enjoyed Halloween! :)

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
I still haven't gotten much done with mine. Still planning the Scavenger hunt for the kids. I did, however, get some Yankee votive candles to put in the bags and also the stickers from American Greetings to include in the bag. Have plenty of candy, now I'm looking for fall cookie cutters and maybe some glow in the dark bracelets. I try to add Fall & Halloween stuff cuz you never know, they might not celebrate Halloween and they also might not have kids. So I try to include something both adults and kids can enjoy.

I think I'll have to work on that really hard next week since I want to distribute on the 1st of October, which is coming up really fast!

Question...I'm new to the neighborhood and one of the ladies I talked to said that they did the BOOing things last year so should I wait and see if I get BOOed or should I go ahead and start it like I had planned? Don't really want to mess with what they've already done but I don't know how far it reaches (she lives on the other block.)

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
I finally got our Booing bags done. I made six and I put in...a halloween deck of cards, a fall scented votive candle, a glow-in-the-dark bracelet, a halloween cookie cutter, a temporary tattoo, some halloween stickers and of course, some halloween candy. I put the candy in a seperate small zip-top bag because the candle is so strong in smell, I was worried that the candy would end up tasting like it if I just threw them in there without some sort of protective barrier! Yuck! :-D Now, I'm just waiting for October 1st to roll around to deliver them. I don't know that I'll drop them off and ring the doorbell. I'm just not stealthy enough to do that without getting caught! lol I'm trying to think of another way. I do get up at 5 a.m. during the week to exercise so maybe if I deliver them that early, they'll be discovered as people are heading off to work. Hmmm...that's an idea! As soon as I get the pictures downloaded, I'll post what the cards look like.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
we are "booing" tonight. dd put together a "twilight" themed boo kit for one of the girls and the other one is getting a more run of the mill kit. :) gotta love 13yr olds eh? :) maggie

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
Both. I gave out my Boo bags on the 1st of October and got Boo'd this morning. I was beginning to despair since only 1 of the 5 people that I gave the bags to had their sign on their door. However, I went for a walk today and the cul-de-sac that I gave one bag to had all but 3 houses with the signs so it spread pretty quickly there and now, only 2 haven't put out their signs...and one is my friend who I gave it to personally and she just hasn't gotten around to putting it up yet so I'm happy! Glad to see that the majority of the neighbors are participating in it. Was worried since this is my first year here and didn't know if anyone would join in!