2011 Savings for Christmas, do it now.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just tucked some money away for my Christmas fund. Do this today. It can be just a dollar, it does not have to be much. It will add up by the end of the year.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am putting $20 from every pay check in my Christmas Account which I set up at my credit union! I can withdraw from it anytime- for in case I find a gift whenever. Then, my credit union will send me a check in early October with whatever is left.

So, I already have $40!!!!

This is the 1st year I have done this- very excited!

Annie

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Annie - I completely forgot to do this. I am going to drag DH to the credit union and open ours tomorrow!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a credit union account and it really works for us. We get $50 a pay taken straight out and transferred into our Christmas Club. We cannot access it until November 1st so there is no chance of using it before Christmas. We have never had to use a credit card to buy gifts and there is normally enough in there to help with DD birthday which is in January.

I think they are a great idea.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I am saving my pennies...but I also have a goal to buy something toward Christmas 2011 ever payday. So far so good. I will be puttiong some "bills" up too after vacation....

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I love having a Christmas Club account. We have had one almost every year we have been married. I put $80 a paycheck plus some from our bonus checks. We get paid early in December and it is about 6 weeks between our December and January pay checks. I always put extra to tide us over until January pay day.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
In 2010 I used a Christmas Club account and also tucked away some cash...it made a HUGE difference and we had a cash only Christmas.....in the first time in a long time. We no longer use credit cards for anything but still do have one for emergencies should something arise!

It feels so good in January to know that I am NOT still paying off Christmas or getting interest charged on it...a TRUE celebration without added debt...its wonderful.

I have my account open and am adding to it already. Between that and buying some a little thorughout the year I hope to be ready for 2011

If you haven't been doing this....do so...you will be amazed at how "freeing" it is

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Girlsinmo, I am also buying something every payday to help towards Christmas. At the moment I am concentrating on the non perishable stocking fillers. I hope to have most of the stocking fillers finished by July.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Good plan!

I have one of those online high interest accounts which I haven't used in a while. Would be ideal for Christmas.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Gingerbug- Reading your post made me think about how I used my credit card this past Christmas. You know where it was? In my "volunteering" gifts. I did 2 shoeboxes filled with Christmas items and then adopted 2 children and bought for them. I did not include that in my Christmas buying budget- and ended up using my credit card.

I need to add that type of thing to my budget! Because, I don't want to use credit cards AT ALL for Christmas 2011!

Thanks for making me reflect on that! Now I can plan more strategically!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I think this might be the fourth or fifth year we have done cash only for Christmas. It helps us spend within our means and like Ginger said, the weight of the world was lifted off our shoulders when we no longer had to worry about the January bills. Money is usually a little tight between Christmas and early January after we have finished up gifts and food buying so I think a Christmas account would be helpful to carry us through to the next pay day as well.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Girlsinmo, I am also buying something every payday to help towards Christmas. At the moment I am concentrating on the non perishable stocking fillers. I hope to have most of the stocking fillers finished by July.

Katrina I'm watching the "after the holiday" clearances for SS. After Valentines Day I will look to see what kind of little knick knacks they have left. Same for the other holidays plus back to school sales later..

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This thread is about one of the most wonderful parts of celebrating Christmas all year! There are LOTS of ways to prepare -- financially -- for Christmas 2011. I think that the more different ways that we use.... the better!

One way that I am working on this goal.... is..... figureing out our "regular and not-monthly-but-recurring bills" that come in winter...... and preparing for those costs ALL year. AND.... it REALLY is a year-long effort!!!

WE KNOW that the utility bills (heat,electricity) will be higher in winter. There are also "winter incidentals".... do you hire teenagers to shovel snow? Are there special charities and/or fundraisers that you support in the winter? And.... there are the "big-ticket surprises". Is a scheduled maintenance (pricey) for your car coming up this winter? New tires needed? Do appliances seem to break down in winter? (A new furnace is a biggie. A new refrigerator or dryer is pricey too.) What if a visit from a plumber is needed?

These ways to spend money are.... NOT fun! Does it make it MORE fun for you.... to put these kinds of financial preparations in the context of... "getting ready for a peaceful, happy Christmas season?"

My thinking is along these lines..... WHATEVER I can do to prepare financially.... will help make Christmas 2011 more peaceful and less stressful!!!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I am using "found" money to help fund Christmas this year. I already have $40 in my Amazon account from doing swagbucks, mypoints, freeride etc. I hope to save up enough amazon gift cards for about half of my Christmas budget this year. Then, we have a neighborhood garage sale in September. The last couple of years we have made a few hundred dollars which I use exclusively for gifts and holiday planning.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
candysprinkles, that is a good way of saving money for Christmas. I have a change jar that I put all the change from the house in, it is amazing how much adds up over time. I like the idea of the garage sale. It would help with the decluttering also.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Sparklenana, you sound like you have been to my house. DH has a spread sheet on the computer for household emergency, gifts, books & magazines, clothing, insurance, car maintanance, medical, etc. We put so much in each every month. It is on the spreadsheet what we have and so if I want something like a new book, I just check to see how much is there. He has been doing this for years. It was hard for me at first, but now I just love it. When the car needs tires etc. the money is there. We never feel the pinch. Our Christmas comes out of the gifts. We just decide how much we are going to spend on everyone for Birthdays, Christmas, little gifts etc. and divide that by 12 and put that amount in every month.

Jinglewhale

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Money for 2011-

I am pleased that I already have 6 gifts purchased-trying to get one or two a month, but I am ahead of the game. Love that feeling!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
jinglewhale, it is a good feeling to be ahead so early in the year. I love the feeling of having a few things in the gift closet already.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Doodlebug.... it is GREAT to hear that your husband's design is working so well for your family!!!! I will be moving in that direction all year.... in baby steps!

Sweetpumpkinpye and jinglewhale.... that gift closet is REALLY a lifesaver..... not only for Christmas.... but for all year!

Candysprinkles.... I LOVE the idea of having the big, yearly garage sale.... and using that money for Christmas!!! That is a great incentive to get things INTO that sale.... so it works for decluttering too!