2011 Savings for Christmas, do it now.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kate 510

Retire Member
Feb 11, 2011
Lots of great ideas, thank you for sharing! One thing I do to save money for Christmas is I buy a grocery store gift card and add a few dollars to it each week. I start using the card in December to buy baking supplies and groceries for the holidays.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
thats agreat idea about the grocery store gc. thanks for sharing

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I have been putting money on a Sam's Warehouse gift card whenever we go there I just put $30 on it this weekend. It seems like we spend quite a bit there between baking supplies, food and gifts for Christmas.

ChristmasJules

Retire Member
Jun 14, 2010
To save for Christmas, each month I buy gift cards to stores I know I will frequent during the holidays - even restaurants. I have also started collecting items for the Christmas shoeboxes we put together. It certainly makes life easier on the pocket book when December rolls around!

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Unfortunately I needed to use everything I had saved for our truck transmission this last week, ugg!! Need to get back on track, I usually use my farm money during the holidays because I have just gotten paid from all the beef I sell. This doesn't work because it makes me short in the spring when I need to get started again! Need to work on a better system, everyone here has some great ideas, I need to try some!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think we all need to use some new ideas.... for saving money/spending less!

Well.... this is sort of like "decluttering our homes"..... Gingerbug decided to create a Year-Long Decluttering Club. Getting more control of our finances is every bit as difficult as getting control of our clutter! And probably takes just as much effort and as long a time!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Too bad money didn't multiply like clutter!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Tuck away a little money into your Christmas account today. A dollar is fine or your change. Doesn't have to be much. It will add up at the end of the year.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It's a good day to tuck away some money for Christmas gifts.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
**sigh** my Christmas account just isn't looking like I hoped it would by the end of July...

I think it's time to focus and start setting aside a weekly amount - I think an automatic transfer, like I do for the kids, will be a better option.

Originally my plan was to put away gift money for a person on their birthday - works well in theory, but I guess it's harder then I thought to, for example, buy my mum a birthday present AND put away about the same amount for a Christmas Present - at the same time!!

So - problem recognised early. I can rectify!!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I made a transfer yesterday into the account for Christmas and we are going to Sams this morning so I can add more to my gift card! Thanks for the reminder.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Saquilla;179009Originally my plan was to put away gift money for a person on their birthday - works well in theory said:
As I began reading I'm think what a great idea but then when you worked it out to the end result I see your point. Sometimes a great idea just doesn't really pan out. I'm glad you have time to rectify.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Money is such a problem for me. Last year was particularly bad. As a student with debt, I really struggled to enter into the festivities.

I will have a job this year, but I still have to be careful. My OH and I hope to put money away for Christmas, maybe by putting it on a store card (they don't depreciate in value here) while also buying some early gifts. I need to start making those lists.

I know money shouldn't take over, but when it is really bad, there is little else you can concentrate on.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for the reminder, I need to pop away some dollars. I have decided that I am buying DH a new camera. He loves photography so I know that it is something he will really love. It will need me to be really good with the budget to be able to afford it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Last day of CIJ so put something away today.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
We got new cell phones earlier this year around tax time. When the rebate Visa cards finally came in last week, I put them right into my Christmas fund envelope. Four new cell phones, so four $50 gift cards = $200 tucked away. Now, I'm all ready for some good sales. :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
That was a good idea candysprinkles.