2013 Jumpstart January-Week 1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Now you may use either one of these wonderful plans I've adapted from Cynthia Ewer at Organized Christmas (I pray she doesn't mind but her plans are simply excellent for year round use in my opinion.) or adapt one for your family's individual needs but whatever you do, USE IT! All of the suggested forms and reading material links can be found at her site. We may not always be able to complete the plan each week but every little thing we do now is a blessing to ourselves and our families when we aren't running around with our hair on fire everytime company arrives or an occassion comes up. Life will get in the way, but don't give up. Simply start where the plan is when you can get back to it and keep moving forward. These plans will repeat from now until the kick off of the holiday prep season in August so don't fret if you've missed something the first go round. Do this for you!

I will post as many of them as I can until I have completed the first round. This may take me a few days so please be patient and focus on this week.

Week 1 - January 6th - January 12th

Holiday Grand Plan - List/Front Porch

During this week, we can finish up our Christmas binder by entering in what worked, what didn't and any notes you may want to incorporate or modify for next year and put it away for now.

It's time to freshen up or build your Household Notebook just as you did your Holiday Notebook. Printables can be found at OrganizedHome.com and many other places on the web or create your own customized version of these forms and calendars.

Take this time to purge all 2012 records and receipts and get them ready for taxes or box them up for storage (save only what is necessary for an audit). Get your files ready for 2013. It's a new year!

This week's cleaning focus is the front porch: I know most of you are buried in snow so you may have to adjust this for your situation.

For the rest of you let's:
1. Get those holiday decorations down and stored properly.

2. Remove everything that does not belong on this porch and put away.

3. Sweep off dust and webs that have formed on the ceiling and walls.

4. If you have windows on your porch shine them up so that what little
sunshine is available can filter through nicely.

5. Give the flooring, whether decking or concrete, a good cleaning.

6. Put a nice thick welcome rug to catch all of the winter snow and muck.

7. Just because the holidays have ended it doesn't mean that you can't place a beautiful welcoming wreath on your door, nice decorations on the exterior walls, throws on the seats or even artificial greenery arrangements in your window boxes or planters to help the dull dreary winter days look inviting at your home. Down here it's the kick off of Mardi Gras so of course all of our Christmas Decor is replaced with everything Mardi Gras. If your area celebrates a specific event for that month then go for it by decorating for that event or regional holiday.

House and Holidays Plan
Week 1:planning and Paperwork

To make a good beginning takes planning. Where do you go to dream, to budget, to plan? This week in the House and Holidays Plan, we turn to our home's planning center. How is it working for you?

This week, we'll clean, organize and declutter the home office or, and begin the basics of staying organized year round with small adaptions to the values(goals), our budget and gift giving throughout the year for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, baby showers, weddings and so on.

Recommended Reading from the Web: Although some are geared specifically towards Christmas you can certainly use the concepts for year round activities.
Declutter 101: Cut Clutter at Home
The ABCs of Household Paper Management
To Early to Think Christmas? Start Now!
Simplify Your Holidays: Make A Christmas Planner Notebook
Before the Season: Family Values Check-Up
Create a Christmas Holiday Planning Center
Make A Master Gift List

This Week's Household Checklist:
Declutter and clean the home office or paper handling area.Think STOP--Sort, Toss, Organized and Put away--as you clear clutter from your space. Once free from clutter, clean the workspace for a fresh start to the Plan.
Set up a basic household filing system. A clean and clutter-free workspace is half the battle; next up in the war on paper clutter? An efficient household filing system. Get up to speed on the ABCs of household paper management in your organized home.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:
Now would be a great time to update that address book using all those current Christmas cards you received.

If you don't have one, establish a budget. Do not forget to include things like annual fees such as license renewals, insurance, Christmas, Birthdays and so on. I get so irked when someone tells me that a holiday or event caught them by suprise and they're running so short. There is no excuse since these events and holidays happen the same time every single year.

Complete the values worksheet in the form of "goals" for this year. What is your goals for this month, next month, personally, family, financial and spiritual? What steps will you take daily, weekly, monthly to achieve each a every goal? Be specific and put it on your new calendar or it will get overlooked.

Use the master gift list form to be prepared for all of the inevitable birthdays, showers, anniversaries, housewarmings, and so on. Gift giving does not begin and end at Christmas. If it did we'd all probably be wealthy. LOL Decide now exactly how much is allowed for each.

Gift Giving: Many of us will purchase things throughout the year as we find that perfect gift and sale for each person or occassion. Instead of shoving these gifts in the bottom of your closet go ahead and freshen up that gift closet for year round use. Keep your wrapping supplies at hand whether it's Christmas or a little token for back to school. I utilize an armoire to keep my gifts and wrapping supplies on hand for all occassions by using solid colors and enhancing the bows to depict the holiday or event. A roll of pearl white paper and a roll of brown craft paper can take you through every single event with alot less clutter. The key is in the embellishments.

Crafters: Don't forget to get started on those Valentine Plans.
Gardeners: The new seed catalogs have arrived and there's gardens to plan.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
January 13 - January 19, 2013
HGP
Week 2- Question Week

Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Living Room

Living Room
Living Room Cleaning Checklist

Start at the ceiling and work your way down.
1. Pick up, Put Away or Throw Away anything that does not belong in this room.
2. Get the broom and sweep down any dust bunnies that took up residence to over winter.
3. Wipe down those ceiling fan blades.
4. Clean and wipe down all wall art, electronics windows, doors and handles. If you have a fireplace it might be a good idea to give your drapes a quick washing while you're at it.
5. Vacuum furniture and rugs. Don't forget to pull off those couch cushions and give it a good vacuum while you're at it. The underneath of my recliner is always a treasure trove of loose change from DH's pocket.
6. Dust all wooden shelving and furniture.
7. Now would be a good time to wash those throws and run those occassional pillows through the dryer to remove dust and kill bacteria.

Household Prep
January is typically known for best deals on linens (white sales) as well as the stores drastically reduce winter clothing. Utilize this time to freshen up those bed linens, towels or even your wardrobe looking ahead to the 2013 Holiday Season. Who doesn't love a good sale for items we need?

Make one extra meal for the freezer labeled properly with it's contents, date prepared and use by date. This should be large enough to feed the family plus two people. Just because the holidays have ended doesnt' mean that we all have "one of those days" whereby we don't feel well or simply had more to do's than we did time.
(Find recipes and ideas for freezer cooking at OrganizedHome.Com's Freezer Cooking Guide.)

Browse Week:
Develop ideas for gifts, decorations for Valentines Day.
Purchase those 2013 birthday, graduation, anniversary cards and forever stamps now. Put them in a nice box or folder so that throughout the year you aren't caught off guard. I generally pull all the ones for each month and either attach them to the gift as it's purchased or get them placed in my tickler file to mail out the week prior to the event.

Ask these questions:
We've somewhat covered the values and incorporating them in the form of 2013 goals and dreams. These questions were geared for Christmas but each one can be used for every holiday or life in general. Put your thinking caps on and let's get real.

Do I see Christmas time primarily as a time for entertaining friends and renewing long lost acquaintances or as a time for family?
How much emphasis do our Christmas activities place on the spiritual side of Christmas?
How involved is my family in the Christmas preparation?
What activities are particularly important to our family at Christmas? To myself?
Why do we observe the traditions we do in our house?
How important is an elaborately decorated house, homemade gifts or food, to my feelings about Christmas?
What would my ideal Christmas (2013) be like?

House and Holidays Plan
Week 2 - Calendars/Creative

This week, we focus on the bones for efficient holiday planning: calendars. We'll work on time management and scheduling this week.

Household focus: creative spaces

Whether a sewing corner or a quilting room, a rolling crafts cart or dedicated arts-and-crafts closet, spend this week decluttering, organizing and cleaning out the creative spaces in your home.

This Week's Focus:
Calendars and Creative Spaces

It takes time and effort to come up with a realistic plan for the year ahead, and to do so, the calendar is critical! This week, we chart the course of the New Year, vacations, guests and celebrations.

Get inspired with these ideas from the Web:
Storage Solutions for Sewing, Hobby and Craft Spaces
Design Tips for Sewing, Hobby and Craft Areas
Secret for Stress-Free Holidays: Create A Holiday Calendar
Planning Tips for Holiday Season Travel
Smart Scheduling for Stress-Free Holidays
Christmas Organizing Secret: Try A Tear File!
No More UFOs! Get-Em-Done Strategies for Homemade Gifts

This Week's Household Checklist
Declutter and clean creative spaces. Whether it's a corner of the kitchen table or a dedicated crafts room, what's the state of your creative space? Is it efficient and easy to use, or bulging and bloated? This week, take the STOP clutter method to areas where you wrap gifts, sew, work on scrapbooks or make crafts. When the clutter's conquered, clean your space for happy seasonal crafting.
Assess stored crafts materials. Time to head to the stash--fabric, paper or crafts--to take a look at household supplies. Will you need to replace crafts basics like tape, glue, paper or scissors? This week's school supply sales are a great time to stock up in the crafts closet.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
Create a calendar. Take control of your time with a simple family calendar for 2013! Whether you use a smartphone app or our printable calendars, start a holiday calendar to track events, celebrations and deadlines.

Plan vacations, moving, family celebrations. Start early to get the best--and cheapest--options for plane tickets, hotel reservations and event tickets.
Hold a scheduling session. Little things mean a lot--so don't forget to schedule time for yourself every single month. Start a set of tear files of ideas you'd like to incorporate, recipes, decor, gifts and place in your labeled binder section or file.

Start--and use--a shopping list. Tracking "to-buy" items in one place saves time all year. Use your master gift list and as you purchase for each person you can keep track of it and mark it off of your list and keep an eye on your budget. Get the list habit now!

Review gift lists. How is the Master Gift List coming along? If you need more gift idea inspiration, add a Gift Ideas Planner page to your Houseworks Planner. It'll help you track interests, sizes and preferences of loved ones.

Inventory unfinished crafts projects. Remember the Crafter's Rule of Four: if you have more than four unfinished crafts projects, or if any single project is more than four years old, don't schedule any new crafts! Finish the old ones this year--you've already got a head start on the process and the price is right! Rout out projects you've begun, and take advantage of the time already invested in them for happy crafting.

Begin a "Gifts to Make" list. Christmas crafters benefit by starting early. Begin working on gifts, decor items and crafts now, for a stress-free celebration.

This Week's Planner Pages to Print
Week 2 Checklist
Gifts to Make Planner
Shopping List
Gift Ideas Planner

Last edited:

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
2013 - Year Round Cleaning Plans -Week 3

January 20 - January 26
Holiday Grand Plan
Week 3 - Entry/Foyer

Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan: Entry/Foyer Week!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming entrance to the home for guests.

Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Entryway or Foyer

Entry/Foyer
Entry/Foyer checklist

2013 Prep:
Designate the last "desk day" of each month to menu planning for the following month. This saves so much time and energy on tired afternoons trying to figure out what to cook or even if you have the ingredients. Remember to plan out meals to include leftovers. Example: If I cook a beef roast on Monday then you can be certain that those beef leftovers will go in a vegetable beef soup or chili by Wednesday. Food, cost and the time spent purchasing and preparing it is simply to waste.
Make one extra meal for freezer again.
Buy two canned food or non perishable items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food pantry or shelter in your area).

Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.

Buy a couple of USB drives and back up your computer. Make a note in your planner every two weeks on desk day to accomplish this small yet vitally important task.

House & Holidays Plan
Properly appointed, the master bedroom can be an inviting oasis of calm in the midst of daily life--but not if it's choked and cluttered with misplaced stuff!

During Me and Mine Week at the House and Holidays Plan, we'll declutter, organize and clean the master bedroom. Our goal: to create a refreshing space for renewal and rest during the busy holiday season.

This week's 2013 prep assignments see us focus on cards, set up a gift closet or gift box, and schedule some personal "me" time into the holiday season.

This Week's Focus:
Master Bedroom and Personal Spaces

Rest, renewal and relaxation soothe the spirit and charge the soul. What's the state of your personal haven? This week, we'll declutter, clean and organize the master bedroom. Goal: to create a soothing sanctuary free from stacks and piles.

An organized clothes closet makes life easier day-by-day. Sorting out clothing and removing clutter from the clothes closet sends the family into the new year with a spring in their step!

Try these resources to meet Me and Mine Week goals:
Changing Seasons: Clothes Closet Declutter
Simplify Season's Greetings: Using Computers to Send Christmas Cards

Gift Closet Guide: Get Organized for Frugal Holiday Gifts

This Week's Household Checklist
Declutter, clean and organize the Master Bedroom. It's a place for rest and renewal ... if you can find the space! Tackle clutter in the master bedroom this week. Use the STOP clutter method to sort the stacks and piles. Once you've cleared the items that don't belong, clean your newly-reclaimed private space. Use the "dry room" cleaning method to deep-clean the master bedroom in record time!
Decorate your restorative space. Make the most of your private sanctuary! Add decorative touches--candles, scent diffusers, flowers--to make the master bedroom a pleasant place to recharge your batteries and renew your spirit.
Tackle the clothes closet. Winter gear is already heavier and bulkier so space is at a premium so get rid of anything that you don't love, doesn't fit as well as you'd hoped or simply is not looking it's best.

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
Inventory special occassion cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. Make sure you know what you have before you buy--and shop at home first! A printable Gift Wrap and Mail Checklist makes it easy to know what to add to the shopping list.
Make a card list. Pull out the address book or database, and make a card list. Protect your wallet: prune the list, and give thought to ways to reduce the cost of gift giving.
Use a computer address book for cards. Harness the power of computer technology. If your card list is still kept on paper, convert it to a computerized form. You'll thank yourself in years to come!
Print address labels for your cards. You'll be ready to write, sign and seal!

Buy or print your special occasion cards or letters. I love the nice spring/Easter cards from my kids. Will you need a family photo session? Schedule it today to avoid the rush!
Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to the calendar. "If Mama's not happy, nobody's happy"; your mood affects the whole family. A massage, a retreat, or even a gathering with girlfriends can be a welcome break in the hustle and bustle of daily life. Do yourself a favor and schedule your nail, hair, message appointments in advance for the year. It is priceless when we get busy and forget that we wanted to look our best the week before Valentines Day or for that special wedding.
Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box; inventory any previously-purchased gifts. The secret of organized (and frugal) gift-givers? A gift closet or gift box. If you haven't already, set aside a specific place in your home to hold all bought-ahead gifts. A gift closet inventory will let you know what you have while shopping or making out a gift list, so print one for your Christmas planner notebook.

This Week's Planner Pages to Print: Adapt for year round use!
Week 3 Checklist
Wrap and Mail Checklist
Christmas Card List
Gift Closet Inventory

Last edited: