2013 Savings for Christmas - do it now!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Sweetpumkin pie. That makes a lot of sense. Things can and do get a little tight for me when it gets closer to the holidays.

I think I'm also going to do a Walmart card. Each pay, put a few dollars on it. That way when it's time to purchase groceries and baking supplies I can use that and use the money saved from the plan for gifts and other things. I do all of my grocery shopping at the super walmart anyway so it will work great.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Like the 52 week challenge... in fact I sent it to my kids on FB... they could start saving this way, maybe not for Christmas but if they want to take a trip or something else.

I also agree that if it's for Christmas I would start it in reverse

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I had a similar idea to Katrina's. That we will pay different amounts when we have it so maybe not completly in reverse b/c Jan is still tight so one months instead of 10,11,12,13 we may put in 30,10, 22,50 depending on what is going on and then mark off the $ amount I put aside on the chart. So we either have a credit when it's tight or some flexability to put aside different $ amounts.

Then I am saving for vacation so from time to time when i got to the store I will get out a extra $5-$20 and put it in a different box. I havn't touched it and DH doesn't know where it is. LOL Its not much yet but it will help w/ spending money or something.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This might just work for me right now. But I might do it in reverse...I need to save up some money for my daughters graduation gift and then some money for Christmas. hmmm?? I'll have to think about that.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
Already done! It has $$ in it already as on Friday morning I pull everything under $10 in the checking account and put it in the Christmas Club account. So if there is $398.55 in checking, I will pull $8.55 and put it in Christmas Club. Plus I have $ auto deducted on my payday and put in the Christmas Club account. Christmas Club 2012 paid for ODS/DDIL's 1st morgage payment due January 1.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Look at all that money being saved.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Every evening DH comes in and empties his change onto the kitchen table. I had a great idea when he dumped his change the other day and I discovered 2-$1 Gold coins. I began collecting all the change and when I go into town and pass my bank I cash it in for more $1 Gold coins. Within just a few days I've collected $11.00 in Gold coins.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We have about 4 regulars who will take gold dollars back when they cash a check and when they cash change in. Say they can save them. 1 grandmother gets them for her grandkids.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I too am working on saving for 2013 Christmas. I'm saving all my change plus 5.00 bills. We'll see how this works. (In the past I've always needed to use it for something else.) Ugh.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I think it's interesting to read how many of us have had to use our Christmas savings for other things. Don't feel bad about that! The way I see it, God was taking care of me by letting me be prepared for that other emergency. I'm just thankful I have the extra to help. Think what it would have been like if you hadn't had that extra! lol

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I am going to do the 52 week challenge. And as it goes along it will be challenging! I started my SAMs gift card last week by putting $15.00 on it and will add to it each time we go. I have been doing that for several years and I am always so glad to have it! I am saving change in a big Santa bank that my kids gave me. It is always fun to find ways to painlessly save a little at a time.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
$5 savings.
I next to never have cash but I have gotten $5 or $10 cash back when I make a debit card purchase and put them into my Disney stash. Ok so I have only saved $100 so far that way but it's more than I had when I started.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
1st deposit into my Chrismtas Account for 2013 is happening today!!

Woot! Woot!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We did not spend all of our Christmas cash last year so we have already a little bit saved, and we put $50.00 a fortnight into our account. So off to a good start.

Merry Christmas

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Rocky Mountains
We've not started out Christmas Savings Account yet, but plan to start when we get paid next week. Were a little slow, but better than never.

I really like the ideas of the gift cards, the $5 and change. I think this is going to be what I do.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I haven't started either, but we have both been working so much overtime hoping to just keep up with our regular bills. BUT I just finally enrolled in our company's Employee Stock Purchase Plan and in the 401(k) plan (couldn't really swing it when I first started back in Sept)...and I am going to set up my direct deposit to take $10 a pay check out to go into one of my ING accounts. I will increase it when I see that I can do it. It feels SO good to be saving again...even in small increments!

I love love love hearing how everyone is savng...it's contagious!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Open up a Christmas savings Plan today

Call your bank or look online for how to open up a savings plan. Or get a piggy bank or an empty envelope to store some cash in. Or buy a gift card and add to it every month at the place you do the most shopping. Just do it today and get started.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Good for you Christmaslvr.

So far, so good. Since Jan. 1st I've been putting money in a drawer every two weeks. I'm following the 52 week plan, but since I get paid bi-weekly, I put in enough to cover for the off-week. Up to $15 now. lol.