2013 Savings for Christmas - do it now!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I see Ahorsesoul has started this the last couple of years, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes....!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
What are you going to do this year to prepare for the cost of Christmas?

1. Started Christmas Club at bank with a deposit from December paycheck.
2. DH and I are saving our change.
3. DH and I are saving any $5 bills we get from change - up to a pre-set amount.
4. Started putting money on a Wal-mart card for food and Black Friday purchases.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have a Christmas Club thru my paycheck.

Christmas Club at another bank which is for real estate taxes.

Then I take $20 from each pay (6 a month) and put for Christmas to have the cash in case we find something and $5 from each pay to put towards gift cards at Krogers, Wal-Mart or Aldis for food and the ingredients for cookies/candies. Some years we have had to use this cash for tires or such.

Hoping this year to continue buying thru out the year and we are going to cut down next year so.....

We also save change and if I ever have alittle extra I will fold bills really small to put in with it so I don't see them and will forget they are there until taking it in.

Will see how all goes! Rarely does the Christmas Club money go on Christmas stuff but nice to have it for other stuff. I do the 3 kids a Christmas club from my check and they get that check in their stocking.

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We save change but we didn't use it this year because it's such a pain to cash in. LOL What's funny is that we've planned for everything else except Christmas. We made each of the kids their own savings account to save their money in, we have a savings account, DH started putting money straight from his paycheck into a Thrift Savings Plan through the Army (starts this month) and he wants both of us to also get an allowance every week to save for ourselves. However, nowhere in there did we plan to put anything aside for Christmas. I mentioned it and he said he didn't think we needed to. We don't normally struggle with anything but it would be nice to save it anyway especially for that. We'll see how much we have left every month after all this other saving going on and maybe i'll start doing it on my own.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have a Christmas club which helps a lot. I am saving change, but I'm saving it for a dog. lol

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Interesting idea, Aggy.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Aggy i was just taking to DH about that same plan. Easy to do so i think we will both do that and have plenty for Christmas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I started our Christmas Saving Club a little late this year. I did pretty good with Christmas shopping little by little and didn't need the savings so we put it towards a new stove instead. Worked out well for us.

Not a problem with stepping on toes with me. I'm all for it! lol Thanks

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I think I'm going to try the gift card method...Buy one a gift card a month or something like that. I don't know that it will work, but I'm going to give it a shot.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have a Christmas club where $50 a fortnight gets deposited. We have done this for years and although we do ok for Christmas it enabled us to buy the kids school uniforms etc for back to school in January.

Now that the kids have finished school we use the money to either buy something fairly large for the family or to tidy up any bills that there may be. It is nice to have the back up.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
the gift card ideas are good also. WE don't give a lot of GC but do use them for the cousin white elephant some. That would help.

I am thinking of printing out the 52 week saving and then we can pay out of order and mark it down. if there is a time we can afford more we will pay ahead to give us a credit.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I talked to DH about Aggy's saving plan and we are going to do that. I like the idea of gift cards too because, I have a really hard time spending gift cards (don't ask me why - I have no idea!) so I know I will not use them ahead of time! Then I can use them to buy gifts at the places we normally shop. Interesting.

We are also starting a Christmas account at the bank. This was a tight year for us so I don't want to be in that position next year.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I put $25 per pay check into my Christmas Club account.

I started with my December 28th pay check and will go until the last pay day in September.

Once October comes and I am in Christmas mode I can start planning and shopping and the money is sitting in the account waiting for me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great job on the savings!!!

JennyMariePhoto

Retire Member
Nov 30, 2012
I love the gift card idea. Going to also get a loadable Walmart card put money on it each month for all tje baking supplies I use in Oct, Nov & Dec

I will be opening a Christmas club account with my next paycheck.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I did several GCs for Christmas last year. Just check before you buy them because some start deducting money after a certain amount of time of their not being used. If you buy them way ahead, they may lose some value.

I am loving all the ideas everyone is posting. I love the money put away each week schedule!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was looking at Aggy's plan again and thought it would work for us in reverse.
Put the larger amount in now and reduce the amount as the year went on so that around Christmas when thing were tight you only had to put in the smaller amount. I am notbsurevwhich way we may go