2013 Savings for Christmas - do it now!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Oh Nancy, that was such a blessing for you!!I hope it really takes the pressure off for you - and that you can replenish some of those savings as a result (not all - keep yourself liquid and have enough to get by, but try to put some of the spare back in).

Thank you so much for sharing. Such a heartwarming story of people looking out for others!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nancy, I am SO glad this happened to you! what is it they say, karma? you gave out good and good came back.

I'm glad you found a new friend!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Thanks everyone! It surely has lightened the burden! AND I am replenishing my Christmas Club account this weekend :)

Here's to brighter days!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Three cheers for the Christmas money.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I put more $ on the WalMart gift card I plan to use for groceries, decorations...or whatever... at Christmas time.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Rudy day has come for July. Did you tuck anything away for Christmas or did you use it to buy a present? If you haven't saved for July, do it today before July gets away from you!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I checked my Saving statement the other day and almost fell off my chair. Can not believe how fast it adds up.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Even if you just deposit 5 or 10 dollars, it will be a little easier come December.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Christmaslvr what an amazing story. God does answer prayers.

As for me I'm doing pretty good. Only had to dip into my savings once to renew my tags last month. I'm now at $451. I'm hoping that I can somehow add that back to my savings in the next month or two.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
If you do not have a Christmas Saving Account start one today. At the Bank, in a piggy bank or just in an envelope. Any amount is enough.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DH and I found out yesterday that we will get a one time bonus around November. It will go straight to Christmas - barring any unforseen emergencies. Praying there won't be any.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I just increased my payroll deduction by another $10! This will be the first year with this company that I will get a bonus,but it comes in December and I hope to be done shopping by then. Then I can start a vacation fund!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
at the moment all my cash from Kohls is going into our Disney Vacation fund. That said any extra money will be saved for Christmas and maybe I can get some Christmas gifts while I am down there as well.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Set Up an Account if you do not have one

Check you account balances if it's online, in a drawer, on a card or in an envelope. Check it today.

It time to start thinking of what to do with your Christmas savings. Time to get serious about gift buying. I am shocked at how much we have since this is the first full year I have had an account at the back. I never even know the money is gone since it is automatically put into this Christmas Club Savings. I do wish I had done this earlier in my life.

Now is the time to set up a Christmas Saving Account if you do not have one. Start today for next year. DO IT NOW.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Start one NOW

If you have not started a Christmas Savings Account today is the day to do so. Call your bank or credit union to set up an account that will be ready for next year. Get out an envelope and label it to start putting money into after Christmas. How ever you plan on savings, Do It Now.

Those you have been saving, take a look at how much is in there. I was pleasantly surprised when I withdrew saved cash from our Christmas Savings Account.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Apart from regular savings, I have also been doing something I do some years - buying stamps in the grocery store for the saver card. If you save €98, you get a free stamp at the end so it's €100 on the card. I tend to use my €1 and €2 coins that I have stashed to fill the cards from the machine, but you can buy them at the tills as well when you are paying.

The weeks that groceries have been good value and I haven't spent as much as I expected, I try to top up the card those weeks in particular. And the weeks that I have gathered a lot of change (rather than it tearing my pockets!), I will make the effort to get to that store (I only collect in 1 chain, but shop in 4 different ones across the year).

Then, for Christmas when I need a big load of groceries, and also there are great special offers on, I can spend the extra there without it being a huge burden on my wallet.

I also really love my credit union account, as we can do a payroll deduction at work into it. I keep those savings for holidays and Christmas, and am ALWAYS surprised how much it builds up, even if I am only lodging a few euros each paycheck. But every time I (used to) get a payrise, I'd allow myself 1 paycheck to treat myself, and then I'd increase the deduction by at least part of the rise, as I had been managing on the lower amount and didn't want to waste the extra.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
These are great ideas. I get $50.00 a fortnight taken out of my pay and put into my credit union account, it gives me $1200.00 at the end of the year. I shop throughout the year so I used to use this money for the children's back to school fund, but now we use it as a buffer for whatever hits over the Christmas period.