2015 HHP-Wk 4 -CLOSE TO HOME

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
My bonus room was cleared out last week to make room for my father in law to move in with us. It is currently undergoing a massive amount of remodeling due to the discovery of active termites. We've removed, treated and are in the process of replacing approximately 60' of walls, studs, sheetrock and trim. It's a common insect problem in the deep south but I'm just thankful we caught them before more damage was done and certainly before my sweet father in law was relocated here. We are also adding on a new bathroom to that apartment so that it's handicap accessible. Talk about a deep clean and very new and fresh space for the holidays.

Oh, my youngest son is getting married and having his reception here on October 2nd. No stress at all! LOL

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
We definitely have kids. But we moved here recently and have most things in order. The little ones only have their clothes, books, desks and beds in their bedrooms and the bulk of the toys and normal kid paraphernalia goes in the playroom/family room and that just needs a bit of a tidy. The big ones can handle their rooms themselves, with maybe a gentle nudge. Like a bottle of cleaner and a donations box set in the middle of the floor. I'm going to focus mostly on crafting.

House
-C1&C3-
[]organize closet
[]make pennant banner for window- check scrap supply
[]sew up sleep sack
[]go through books
[]touch up paint on kitty frame
[]put handle back on desk
[]wipe down walls and light switches
[]shampoo spot on rug
[]wash windows
-C2-
[]paint 2nd nightstand
[]sand and seal both
[]put tall lamp in room
[]go through books
[]wipe down walls and light switches
[]wipe down ceiling fan
[]wash windows
[]mop
-playroom-
[]sort through toy bins and purge
[]put candles in cabinet
Holidays
[]add to boxes for food drives
[]make one freezer meal
[]decorate for fall
Crafts
[]zipper bags[][][][][][]
[]hem Mom's blouse and C1's dress
[]work on throw
[]work on washcloth
[]start on Ben's quilt
[]C3's Dorothy dress
[]rope basket
[]make corker ribbon and cut felt for wreaths
[]cut and sew wine bags

Have a lovely day, ladies!

Chris

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ellen and Chris, It looks like you have a good game plan for this week.

I have three medical appts. this week so I'd like to just keep it simple. A couple of weekends from now, there will be a township wide garage sale. My plan is to go through the games and toys and get them ready for the sale.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I behind on this week- but its ok- I knew that I would be. Just too much going on with life in general this week to get a lot happening. DSs room is in pretty good shape. We had a huge declutter recently where we went through every single item, piece of clothing, book, paper etc

We still have to put his winter stuff away and get out the summer things- although with the way he has been growing lately- it may just be easier to pack all the winter things up and donate them, rather than store them as Im pretty sure not a single thing will fit him next winter.

The actual Christmas planning on the list is in good shape. I still have to finish my wardrobe from last week but will wait til DS is back at school. I knew this would happen so planned in extra time that week to finish it then.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi everyone ~
I'm late checking in this week. Homecoming Party here this coming weekend and I'm using it as my deadline on a LOT of this. Looking forward to spending Sunday on the couch with Netflix! It's coming together though and I think I'll knock out enough so that I can catch up in future weeks on the Christmas side of the plan when we hit the chores from weeks I'm doing now. I hope so anyway. So I'm behind in some areas and ahead in others. Got MUCH done on the Master last week but it won't really come together til this weekend when I'm under the gun. It takes that last bit of pressure for me to get stuff out the door and gone rather than sitting in my hallway!

ejagno ~ The hits just keep coming! But think how nice everything will be when you get to the end! You will make it! This is all happening for a reason, you just have to search for what that reason is. :)

Here's my list for Week 4:
Charity Dropoffs -- big loads to a local organization that I really like.
Kids Rooms -- Painting DD's room now. Completely EMPTIED IT. Should be done by Friday.
Bonus Room ~ DS will do this as he is in there the most and his room is in good shape.
Declutter Kids Toys -- A few more will go out. Not many left.
Stocking Stuffers - -Spotted some good ones I will go back for at Home Depot.
Halloween Costumes -- Yes, need a plan.
Plan Advent -- I like that Photo a Day idea. Incorporating that!
Start Christmas Cards - Deep breaths. I can do this.
Check Birthdays and Anniversaries ~ Should do this at same time as calendar sync that I haven't done yet. Apple keeps dropping updates so I have to keep starting over and internet is SLOW here.

Catching up:
Redecorate Master Bedroom -- DONE. (DH still has more. And still shopping bedspreads).
Check Christmas Card list is up to date - DONE.
Christmas Card Return Address labels printed
Gift Closet - Reviewed it. Part of overall plan w/ old dresser in attic. Need hallway cleared first so can get it in.
Copy Christmas list from Excel to an app and back it up -- IN PROCESS....
Update calendars & sync iPhones -- IN PROCESS.....
Make hard decisions on computers, the cloud & photo software - Shelved. Not enough time to deal with it right now. Requires too much time to transfer data.
Marie Kondo "Paper Declutter" - still going... did not work on this week.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Cindy, Tanya and Mary...........you ladies are the greatest!

I don't consider the terrible turn of events necessarily bad things. I'd rather think of it as some extra deep cleaning..........right down to the bare bones. As was mentioned before, it will all be shiny and new.

Keep up the great work! Keep posting your progress because you really are my inspiration.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
after 1 week of packing and prepping my daughter for college, 1 week on vacation and 1 week of starting school online, I'm a little behind, so I'm going to jump in here and just go for it. I started a deep clean in the bathroom, so I'm totally going with that for now and evaluating where I'm at on the plan and making necessary adjustments to rooms. I just wanted to stop in and say hi!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Michelle, glad your here!

It was rainy and cold today so we stayed home. I managed some extra time to work on my stuff from last week that I did not get to- not all finished as yet but starting to pull together. I got through sorting and re-organizing some of my closet space- I did it completely this time last year with this plan but was not super happy with the end results. I just had things in the wrong spaces for them and it did not work as well as I would like. This time around I knew what I wanted to change.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
MinnieCo ~ Hi! Welcome back! Come on in!

Kringle ~ I like your list - how is it all coming?

Up late last night painting DD's room. Walls are done and first coat on the trim. Cats are locked out of there and are very unhappy about it. :) Today will start getting her stuff back in there and out of my hall so we can have our house back. I'm ramping up for a big day today to take several piles to charity. They are all backed up in the mudroom because there are decisions associated with some of them. Hate that.

On the Marie Kondo thing ~ I've been noticing that the trouble-areas I have Kondo'ed are staying clean. Like way better than before. My hotspot on my kitchen counter has been clean for 2 weeks now. What's up with that? It is giving me the extra oomph I need to get this other stuff out the door. I really LOVE how good I feel in the areas where I don't have "stuff". My house gives off the impression of clean (in general) but really I still have a lot of "stuff" in certain rooms. I have 2 big shelves in my pantry full of bakeware. Do I REALLY need all that? I have boxes of Scout gear that my girls have grown out of .....

My biggest problem is time. I think I should go buy a wheelbarrow for use indoors to start dumping stuff in -- can't get it out of here fast enough! I'm still technically on the paper category but since I have to get ready for this party I'm straying into other areas for now and removing what I can. It is downright addicting.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Cindy,

I don't have a wheelbarrow but I do have a box for DS. DS is what I call a 'Spreader'. He is really, really good about picking up his room but he tends to spread his stuff around the house. You can always tell where he has been as there is a trail of him! If he has been reading in the sunroom (a really nice spot to curl up with a book) the book is left there. If he has worked on homework in the kitchen then his pencils are on the counter. Ditto with Lego etc... I am a use something then move it with you sort of person or a put it out of sight (sometimes in the most silly places so things get misplaced) so his stuff was starting to drive me crazy and occasionally getting lost when I just put it away out of sight. He really could not see why it bothered me so much. I solved this by getting him a nice storage box that has found a home just inside his room. As I wander through the house when he is at school, all his bits and pieces go into the box- then I don't have to look at them! And he can still find them. It works so well here.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Today is the 10th Anniversary of Hurricane Rita. In previous years it has never bothered me. This year I am having such a difficult time dealing with the constant reminders that have aired on television and radio for the past few weeks. Everyone is talking about their personal experiences and devastation. No one ever talks about how they came out of it stronger and even better than before.

I think dealing with all of this destruction in my home right now combined with exhaustion and the terrible heat it really does bring back some horrible memories because this is exactly what I was doing after Rita destroyed my own home and business. I'd never felt like this during the previous 9 anniversaries but this one is hitting me hard. I've always prided myself on trying to find the good in a bleak situation and it worked so well for me until today.

I am so ready for some cooler weather, my home put back together and the constant devastating reminders of Rita gone. I did realize today that things will never be the same because my FIL is a packrat. Seriously, he straitens bent nails to reuse later. It hit me today that he plans on bringing it all here. Just the thought of it makes me want to pull my hair out.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm going to bed now. LOL

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Hugs Ellen.

Just close the doors to FIL's area and pretend the stuff is not there. It worked for me when I was briefly married (to the wrong man). He was what we call here a bower-bird- saved everything in case he ever needed it. I used to get home from work earlier than he did and would throw out piles of stuff that he had been collecting for years. As far as I know he never actually found out!

I was wife number 2 for him. His first wife had also been married to someone else before him. One day I was cleaning up some of his stuff in the laundry. I found a bag of old wedding cards. I assumed that they were from their wedding. NO! They were from her first wedding to another man! I was on pretty good terms with her and called to ask if she wanted them. She laughed and said she wanted to throw them away years ago but he insisted on keeping them in case she ever needed them! By this time they had been divorced for many years and he had moved houses about 4 times- he carried them from move to move.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Hugs Ellen, no Wonder you are emotional with all you have to do. I think you need some rest but I know you can't.. move has to happen and so does the wedding, so I'll be sending you energy vibes.

Tanya.. now that is a packrat for sure!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I don't have a wheelbarrow but I do have a box for DS. DS is what I call a 'Spreader'. ......... I solved this by getting him a nice storage box that has found a home just inside his room. As I wander through the house when he is at school, all his bits and pieces go into the box- then I don't have to look at them! And he can still find them. It works so well here.

I like this! I think I need one for BOTH kids! They both leave trails as well! :)

Reminds me of my wall-art basket (in that I hang it on the wall as art because it is pretty and so I can access it easily). It is a little bigger than a cardboard box used to hold a case of pop. It is great for quick gatherings to put stuff away (including groceries items that need to go elsewhere in the house) and then it goes back on the wall. So you then have him clear out his box every now and then? I'm working on a solution for the kid-trails now but it will take some more pondering. Meanwhile, I still do need a wheelbarrow for Marie Kondo. ;)

ejagno ~ I'm thinking you should head that one off at the pass! For starters, at least control what is coming with FIL. Perhaps there is an area where he can have a little shop or something? All my Dad's "straightened nails" went in his shop. All my mom's "straightened nails" went in her studio. My goodness, now that I think about it, they were BOTH packrats of sorts but at least the rest of the house was clean. I feel your dread though. My packrat (DH) is already here! :)

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hello. I'm making headway. The kids rooms are all but done- need to drag out the shampooer for the spotty carpet. My week took a detour with an unexpected trip out of town (Tues), chauffeuring my mom about town for a much longer than anticipated errand list (Wed), and an opportunity to go to a petting zoo with 35 preschoolers (Thurs). So not as much crafting as I had hoped but still pretty productive. I've spent Rudy day working on some fiddly bits in the crafting dept and hope to get a little more done this weekend.

I have been working on our costumes for this year. I have 2 complete (Olive Oyle and Clark Kent), 2 almost (Madeline and the Scarecrow) and two that need some work yet (Dorothy and Popeye). I've been painting ruby slippers today and bought the fabric to make a sailor hat and I found a blue gingham dress that I need to modify so they're on my list for this weekend, too.

Hello, Michelle! It's good to "see" you again. I have every confidence you'll catch up fine.

Ellen- You've got so much that you are handling right now, it's no wonder this anniversary has been rough on you and left your emotions all stirred up and raw. Please, take care of yourself as you are busy trying to take care of so many others.

Cindy- How's it coming on the homecoming party plans? Is your daughter's room complete?

House
-C1&C3-
[x]organize closet
[x]make pennant banner for window- check scrap supply
[x]sew up sleep sack
[x]go through books
[x]touch up paint on kitty frame
[x]put handle back on desk
[x]wipe down walls and light switches
[x]shampoo spot on rug
[x]wash windows
-C2-
[x]paint 2nd nightstand
[x]sand and seal both
[x]put tall lamp in room
[x]go through books
[x]wipe down walls and light switches
[x]wipe down ceiling fan
[x]wash windows
[x]mop
-playroom-
[]sort through toy bins and purge
[x]put candles in cabinet
Holidays
[x]add to boxes for food drives
[]make one freezer meal
[x]decorate for fall
Crafts
[x][][]zipper bags
[x]hem Mom's blouse and C1's dress
[x]work on throw
[x]work on washcloth
[]start on Ben's quilt
[]C3's Dorothy dress
[x][x][x]rope basket
[x]make corker ribbon and cut felt for wreaths
[]cut and sew wine bags

Chris

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Christmas is starting to trickle into the stores here! A few stores already have their Christmas sections open. This is great news for me as I can now select and decide upon my wrap for this year and get onto starting! I am also choosing for next year as well- so that this time next year I don't need to wait til the stores are stocked. Yep I could probably get it on sale later after Christmas for next year- but that time is prime beach/ relaxing season here and I never get to the stores before all the stuff is gone. It is worth it for me to pay full price for next years sanity than to save a few $ later hoping that the nice stuff is still available.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Homecoming is done for another year! Everything went great and the kids were all beautiful in their suits and gowns. Party was before and after so went from about 2pm with dress-up til 2am shutdown. Exhausted but happy! And EVERYTHNG got done on the house that needed to get done so it was so awesome to blink my eyes open the next morning and know I could just relax for a day. *swoon*

Here's where I ended up so I have all this down for next year:

Completed in Week 4:
Charity Dropoffs -- DONE. (Smaller ones still to come in other areas)
Kids Rooms -- DONE.
Bonus Room ~ DONE.
Declutter Kids Toys -- DONE.
Plan Advent - DONE.
Check Birthdays and Anniversaries -- DONE.

Catch-up needed:
Update calendars & sync iPhones -(iOS 9 just dropped. Starting over)
Marie Kondo "Paper Declutter" - (put on hold this week til after Homecoming)
Christmas Card Return Address labels printed
Gift Closet - STARTED. Dresser moved in (need to rearrange in there now)
Copy Christmas list from Excel to an app and back it up -- IN PROCESS....
Stocking Stuffers - start purchasing
Halloween Costumes
Start Christmas Cards

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Nothing I can do this week, but be thankful that there are no pack rats in my life. I would go crazy if there were.