2017 HHP Week 4 - Close To Home

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My tasks for the week are:

Household Checklist:
because it is kids' room week and my kid is 23 years old and has two rooms, I have made a list of what needs to be done and given it to her. :):)

Holiday Prep Checklist:

seasonal spruce up list - I already know what needs to go on this list. I will get started right away as the weather will be nice this week and most of the work is for outside.
start working on Christmas cards

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Here's what I hope to get to this week:

Household Checklist

• Have children declutter, clean and organize their rooms.
  • Quick clean through the first floor rooms. (We're hosting teens here on Saturday night for pictures and light fare before a high school formal.)

Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Go through each room on first floor and make Seasonal Spruce-Up list.
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers.
  • Decide on Halloween costumes.
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters.
Still to Do:
  • Find and order group shots of our family vacations.
  • Work on making one of the photo books this week.
  • Gather information on one paternal ancestor this week.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im still behind from previus weeks but I have decided to leave them as they are for this week and catch up later.

As it is school holidays here, This is the time allocated for Luke's annual clean out. I swear that child grows every time I turn around. I know he has clothes that no longer fit him. We always use this week to go through his room top to bottom. We do a little each day so it does not become a major chore!

Im on track with Christmas prep- I think??? Better go check again.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We always do a through go through in the kids bedroom right before school starts. I spent the weekend cleaning the front porch and decluttering kitchen.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Tanya - Sounds like a good plan. Are you feeling better?

I'm moving along here.

Household Checklist
  • Have children declutter, clean and organize their rooms.
  • Quick clean through the first floor rooms. (We're hosting teens here on Saturday night for pictures and light fare before a high school formal.)

Holiday Prep Checklist

• Go through each room on first floor and make Seasonal Spruce-Up list. Done
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers.
  • Decide on Halloween costumes. Done Now to figure out how to put it together...
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters. Done This is a big step for me.
Still to Do:
  • Find and order group shots of our family vacations.
  • Work on making one of the photo books this week. I got pictures together from one vacation. I will put it into a photobook this week.
  • Gather information on one paternal ancestor this week.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
This Week's Household Checklist
  • Declutter, clean and organize children's rooms. Since my children are grown and gone I'm using this week to declutter and clean my designated grandkids rooms. I've decluttered the toys that they've outgrown and even acquired some new ones outgrown by a nephew. I'm setting up their own desktop with their Disney Jr. & Nickolodeon game sites and strict parental controls.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Seasonal Spruce-Up exercise. NEVER ENDING AS A HOMEOWNER
  • Declutter children's toys. DONE
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers. IN PROGRESS
  • Hit the back-to-school clearance sales. DONE
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes. NOT APPLICABLE
  • Think ahead to family Advent celebrations. IN PROGRESS
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters. NOT STARTED YET
  • Take note of birthdays and anniversaries. IN PROGRESS

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Tanya - Your mention of Luke's room reminds me I need to do the same for my son's clothes. He's sprouted like a weed this year! Fall sales should be going on now too so its probably time to get him some new clothes.

Week 4 - Close To Home Wk – Kids & Bonus Rms

House:

• Declutter the kids' Rooms - The kids are underway and doing pretty good. But need to get after DS.
  • Get a Reality Check on the budget and spending. -- Honing in. Discussing the large items.
  • Reality Check on home improvement chores to complete before the holiday season. -- We aren't at reality yet. Too many "remodel - balls" in the air. And the weather is still holding.
  • Declutter children's toys. -- Need to do.
  • FLY LADY Zone of the Week: Hallway Rooms & Mudroom
Holiday:
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers. Seriously.
  • Hit the back-to-school clearance sales. (Stuffers, crafts, tape, scissors…) Yes....
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes. -- Yup. Need to do this.
  • Plan family Advent celebrations. - Are we doing a calendar??
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. - No. I'll do all in one shot when the tree is up and I'm feeling festive. Kids will help. I've never been good at this "do it in sections thing". Really need to work on the letter though.

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Well we have finished de-cluttering Luke's wardrobe. Lots of stuff to give away. I will drop most of it to the second chance store- they only take the good labels. Most of the winter stuff is now packed away but a few hoodies are out- mornings and evenings can still be cool. I will gather those up over the next few weeks as summer really makes an appearance.
His books are sorted and neat. Luke has an annoying habit of leaving his books around the house wherever he was last reading it. He loves books (so do I) and does not want to part with any- I can understand this as well.

Friday and Sat will be devoted to the rest of his stuff- Im not sure exactly what his stuff is because he is pretty much past toys but he has a room full of stuff!
i asked him what was in the rest of his room and his reply was, "Stuff".

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got through my household and holiday prep list. September has becomes a month that feels so chaotic with the activities that happen around here. I'm just thrilled that I was able to plug along this month. Doing HHP over the years is changing the way I look at the prep work. It's gradual but I think the gradual work is the work that lays the foundation for good habits here.

Reactions: Cindylouwho

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Holiday_Mom -- Amen sister! (on the gradual work laying the foundation). :) I now have a habit tracker in my notebook and I'm trying to be super good about it. This plan is now one of the habits I track so it stays top of mind through the week.

Much going on here which has nothing to do with any of this so it is SO helpful to come back to this forum over the weekend and look at my list and see if I crammed this stuff into my week. I did on some of it and others not yet. So that will happen today.

Worked in advance and cleared out and defrosted my freezer. So now I just have to do some freezer cooking to fill it - so I'll be on that freezer thread quite a bit in the near future. I need to place a meat order too. Uhm, might have missed that deadline.

Talked to DS and we will be going through his clothes today. I'll be in the city this week to get the car ready for winter and hopefully the clothing sales will on for the change in seasons. Back later with a full recap of what all I got done this week.

Winter gear -- Put away the summer gear and picnic baskets and replaced with ski gear and boots so I don't need to deal with it over the holidays. Also put up a hanging shoe organizer in the coat closet (its not really for shoes -- shoes wouldn't fit but its one of those clear hanging organizers). Anyhow, I moved all of our gloves and scarves into it and now it is really easy to see and grab them rather than having to sort through the box to find a matching pair.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Here's how I did on last week's list:

Week 4 - Close To Home Wk – Kids & Bonus Rms

House:
  • Declutter the kids' Rooms - DONE.
  • Get a Reality Check on the budget and spending. -- DONE. Almost.
  • Reality Check on home improvement chores to complete before holiday season. -- Reality setting in.
  • Declutter children's toys. -- DONE. (Stuff, not so much toys).
  • FLY LADY Zone of the Week: Hallway Rooms & Mudroom -- DONE.
Holiday:
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers. Shopping tomorrow.
  • Hit the back-to-school clearance sales. (Stuffers, crafts, tape, scissors…) I think I missed, will look.
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes. -- This week. Homecoming the priority.
  • Plan family Advent celebrations. - Found advent calendar and discussing youth group.
  • Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. - Cards later, but first draft of letter DONE.
WORKING AHEAD: Freezer cleaned out, defrosted and DONE.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
K did a great job cleaning the two rooms that are hers. I got almost all of the jobs done on my seasonal spruce-up list, I have one more thing to do and that will be dealt with this week.

I didn't start on Christmas cards, but my list is small, so not too concerned that this didn't get done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Holiday_Mom -- Amen sister! (on the gradual work laying the foundation). :) I now have a habit tracker in my notebook and I'm trying to be super good about it. This plan is now one of the habits I track so it stays top of mind through the week.

Winter gear -- Put away the summer gear and picnic baskets and replaced with ski gear and boots so I don't need to deal with it over the holidays. Also put up a hanging shoe organizer in the coat closet (its not really for shoes -- shoes wouldn't fit but its one of those clear hanging organizers). Anyhow, I moved all of our gloves and scarves into it and now it is really easy to see and grab them rather than having to sort through the box to find a matching pair.

I like this idea for the gloves. I'm not sure how to make it work here base on our set up, but it's given me something to think about now.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought a scarf hanger at the dollar store. Had one in my bedroom closet and one in the entry closet now.